IGNORED

Cartridge Version(s) of Turbo Basic XL

I have two TBXL cartridges -- the Video 61 version and the S/XEGS Ramcart version.  The Video 61 version works a bit better -- before loading it will boot dos and then present the choice of TBXL or the Compiler.  It also can return to Turbo Basic via run at address $2080 (at least with MyDos 4.5x).  The S/XEGS version can exit to dos (assuming you have a dos disk in D1:), but it cannot return to TBXL.  "One and done."

I'm pretty sure that you can do the same with the disk version by using N. Load Memsav. Of course, with an SIO disk, MEMSAV is pretty slow, but with a hard drive or ramdisk, quite fast.  The trick is that instead of using "L", you load with "N" and MyDos creates the Memsav while loading.  Nice feature -- not sure about other dos versions.

Is anyone aware of any other cartridge TBXL versions?  I'm pretty sure that one time I saw a file for a "homebrew" point-to-point wired one, but looked way more difficult than worth (for me).  I did check and Video 61 still lists the TBXL cart for sale.

-Larry

• Like 1

What a nice, very professional looking web site!  I was not aware of the SIC cart version.  The .org web page for the SIC cart is no longer functional. So I need to do some looking around here at AA.  I never got one of those SIC's, but IIRC, one of the selling points was that it was compatible? (but cheaper) than the Atarimax carts. So perhaps it can be put in a 1Mb Atarimax cart?  Maybe someone has done that?

There is also Phaeron's Altirra Extended Basic for the 1Mb for the Atarimax cart.  But that is a superset of TBXL (and a wonderful product!).

-Larry

I'm pretty sure that SIC carts are not compatible with Atarimax; but most of the cartridge emulation hardware out there supports the SIC cart format (Ultimate Cart, AVG, The!Cart).

Edited by MrFish

Excellent!  I downloaded the file for the SIC! and transferred it to my Ultimate Cart. Works great, but it has an embedded Dos 2.5 system, so if you exit to Dos, you must have a Dos 2.5 disk/image in D1:.  Like the S/XEGS cart, you cannot return to TBXL -- you must reboot the computer.  But works very well and has the choice of Dos 2.5, TBXL, Compiler, or the Linker.  Nicely done.

No, not at least on my Ultimate Cart setup.  If I do that, it just puts up the DUP.SYS menu again.  *I think* that the SIC! TBXL file just loads a set of data images into memory and then starts them.  Pretty sure that the S/XEGS cart image also works the same way.  Under this scheme, there is no MEM.SAV, so the $2080 doesn't work. 

5 hours ago, Larry said:

No, not at least on my Ultimate Cart setup.  If I do that, it just puts up the DUP.SYS menu again.  *I think* that the SIC! TBXL file just loads a set of data images into memory and then starts them.  Pretty sure that the S/XEGS cart image also works the same way.  Under this scheme, there is no MEM.SAV, so the $2080 doesn't work. 

Right, well, I meant when having a DOS disk in the drive too. Seems to work fine that way (mem.sav obviously present).

3 hours ago, SenorRossie said:

I recall this was discussed in a thread about sic carts, this is probably where the cart image came from.

Yeah, it says just what I'm saying: you have to have a minimum of DUP.SYS on your work disk and MEM.SAV.