IGNORED

Pitfall and 2 ports?

Skatepunk60

Mountain King is the only other one I think has issues with the 2 port bios...

So if 5200 Mountain King and Pitfall aren't must haves for you on your 5200 then...I wouldn't worry about it...

However, in my case...I will keep my 4 port and be happy.

So changing the BIOS is just a simple swap with the proper chip from Best?

Correct. Or you can burn your own using a 2532 EPROM. The chip should even be socketed.

Are there other 5200 games that don't work with the 2 port BIOS?  

I believe the only incompatible games are Pitfall, Mountain King and K-Razy Shootout.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

I believe the only incompatible games are Pitfall, Mountain King and K-Razy Shootout.

Mitch

I didn't realize K-Razy Shootout was affected. The hardware page on the 5200 systems here on Atariage just mentions Pitfall and Mountain King as the incompatible games on the 2-port.

Any word if these games will work on a 2 port if run from the multi-cart?

I didn't realize K-Razy Shootout was affected. The hardware page on the 5200 systems here on Atariage just mentions Pitfall and Mountain King as the incompatible games on the 2-port.

Look's like they missed one. I'm sure if either Alex or Albert are reading this thread that it will be fixed soon.

quote:

Any word if these games will work on a 2 port if run from the multi-cart?

No, they won't. The multicart uses the same ROM that is on the regular carts. The problem is not in the carts but the 5200 BIOS.

Mitch

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: Mitch ]

quote:

MrRetroGamer writes:

I just checked with Brad at Best - he seems to think he only has the REV A CO19156 5200 OS chip, so this is NOT the one needed for full compatability, correct?

Hmm... that's interesting, the last time I talked with him he said he only had the original version and no Rev A's. I wonder if he rechecked them and found that they were really Rev A's after all.

But, you are correct the Rev A is the later version. You want the original.

If someone want's one bad enough, I'll burn one for you if you send me a 2532 EPROM. Unfortunately, it's not the easiest chip to find.

quote:

skatepunk60 writes:

any thing i could fix in there to make them work?

On the cartridges? No. In the 5200? Yes, you can switch out the Rev A BIOS with the original BIOS, either salvaged from a 4 port or burned onto a 2532 EPROM.

Mitch

I have swapped the RevA bios out of a 2port and in it's place used a 4 port bios. It makes Pitfall! and those other games work just fine on the 2 port system.

With a RevA bios these games won't run on a 2 port. Even from the Multi-cart.

My advise is to find a 4 port system on e-bay for next to nothing and just take the bios out. I've even seen people selling 5200 motherboards on ebay for very little money.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently have found that Super Pacman supposedly does not work on 4 port Atari 5200's. By "not work" I mean that some doors and power pellets are invisible. So tho you can't play Pitfall! at least you could play this eprom with all the doors, etc. intact.

I don't have a 2 port Atari 5200 (yet).

There are too many other good things about the 2 ports, like supporting the VCS adapter, and working without a special switchbox.

There are, then, positives and negatives about both versions of systems. Having both might be the only best solution to everything

Swapping bios and stuff sounds like way too much hassle.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

I recently have found that Super Pacman supposedly does not work on 4 port Atari 5200's. By "not work" I mean that some doors and power pellets are invisible.  

That's interesting. The copy of Super Pacman that I have doesn't seem to have that problem. Also, at the last SC3 I had it playing on a 4 port.

Maybe your copy uses a different ROM dump that has problems with the 4 port systems.

Mitch

I have a 2-port that plays everything fine. i.e. Pitfall, 2600 adapter.

At first I thought maybe it had a 4-port Bios, but the 4-port I have does not work with the 2600 adapter. So if the 2-port really has a 4-port bios, then the 2600 adapter should not work on the 2-port either, right?

So does that mean there is another bios outhere, one that is compatible with everything?

Nope, to get a 2600 adaptor to work in a 4 port (excluding the * model) requires a hardware mod. It has nothing to do with the bios. I've done this mod 2 times myself, except 1 step (the most important one) it an easy mod, if not time consuming.

Charlie