IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

7 hours ago, erichenneke said:

With the Sophia 2 still installed, I also tried running the monitor out (S-video out) from the stock Atari 800XL monitor jack to a CRT monitor, and that also does NOT get any signal to the monitor.  My understanding is that the normal stock monitor-out video should remain functional too, even with the Sophia 2 installed.  So the fact that I am not getting any video signal from the stock monitor-out jack does make me suspect the Sophia 2 unit I have might not be working.

Double :( 

I then removed the Sophia 2, and I put my GTIA chip back in.  And then the 800XL system works like usual again, with video coming out of the stock monitor-out jack just fine. 

So at least I know it's not my system.

Thoughts?  

It's a bad sign. S-Video output should work. Take a picture how installed is a board.

13 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I have a Sophia on the way.  Planning on getting a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the display. 

I’m not sure how I will get audio now.  Are there a few obvious solutions?

Use the legacy a/v out and connect just the audio to a set of external speakers/sound bar/amplifier

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 7:24 AM, Simius said:

It's a bad sign. S-Video output should work. Take a picture how installed is a board.

Here you go.  

I also tried a dvi to vga adapter and that didn't work either. 

The svideo out on the 800xl does not work with sophia2 installed.  But it does work with the gtia chip put back in place. 

-Eric

DSC_1138.JPG

45 minutes ago, Calab said:

I've got a Sophia 2 on the way and was wondering what else I will need in order to complete the installation in my 1200XL. Anyone have some tips/photos/info?  I didn't see any installation instructions online.

A DVI cable and audio from the original monitor port, or a DVI to hdmi cable, audio from the original port and an external amp / speakers 

1 remove gtia chip

2 insert Sophia 2 board

3 plug in cable

4 drill case etc if you want, or be lazy and just leave the cable hanging out the back and don't screw the case back together.

I think flashjazzcat has a YouTube video 

Edited by mimo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have my Sophia2 installed and producing an output where the picture is crystal clear - although I have to reset after power on to get an output, is that normal?

The main issue I have is being able to change the output resolution, using an old Samsung LCD monitor (no joy at all with my larger and newer HP monitor) I cannot see the bottom 3rd of the screen.

I can load SCONF via my S-DRIVE max and the default resolution 1344x960 is selected. I'm not sure if it is me being a bit dense, or if there is something I can't see at the bottom of the screen, but I cannot get thew resolution to change. Is there a key sequence to save the selected resolution (720x576p - I'm hoping this will be a bit more "standard" as far as the monitors are concerned)?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Do you still have your RF?  You can still use the other outputs as long as the needed circuitry hasn't been removed.

I pulled the RF modulator I could solder it back if absolutely necessary, but for the most part it works, so I'm sure there is just a key sequence needed to save the new settings in sconf.

Interestingly I lost the monitor video (composite) output when I removed the RF modulator (even if I go back to the GTIA), which came as a surprise, as I would have thought it generates that before the video and audio get to the RF modulator.

Here are some pics of what I'm seeing on the monitor.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

AFAIK the RF modulator can't be removed from the XE without affecting the other outputs.

I've not got my machine set up otherwise I could work out the required keys for you... I'll see if I can do so later on.

Thanks for that, I re-soldered the RF modulator and now have the composite back. I did find a link that answered my own question on the RF Modulator... would be good to get rid of it so might have to see if I can find a decent work around to keeping composit on the monitor while removing the RF modulator.

It was Control+X to save and Control+B to reboot, I think (I've shut it down now).

I have a full picture now with the Sophia2... I just have to work out now why Panther has garbage characters at the bottom instead of the mission display (happens with both GTIA and Sophia2) ?

Ha ha...Its always the least technical stuff that balls stuff up...

And despite Simius kindly giving me the RGB to SCART pinouts I STILL don't have a cable going. All the cables I found to butcher didn't have the 4 C connections so had to order a solder 23+4 pin connector from AliExpress.

I'm sure it will get here one year...Just not willing to guess which year..

Received my Sophia 2 yesterday.  Installed into my 800xl and connected to an old Viewsonic TV using DVI to HMDI.  At first I got NOT SUPPORTED but then remembered to install the config application on my SIDE3.  Got it working at 720p.  Have to say it was actually shocking how much better the output was.  Switching back to composite looks like someone put a filthy window in front of my display.

BRAVO sir.  There is no going back now.

• Like 1

I also have a 64kb 600xl that only has RF out.  It had some issues like malfunctioning keyboard and faulty POKEY that I resolved.  Last issue is the display.  There is a lot of noise and glitchy graphics.  I swapped every IC on the board with known working ones and it made no difference.  Today I tried my new Sophia 2 and the output was fantastic.  Obviously this resolved the noise but it also fixed the glitchy graphics.  I guess the RF box was damaged when the original power supply failed (I wasn't aware of that time-bomb when I took my Atari out of storage in 2019).

I will most likely order a second Sophia 2 in the near future but I notice it does not seem to like my original Atari socket in my 600xl.  It just pops out after pushing very hard to get it to go in.  I can replace the socket I guess but it's interesting that this happens as in my mostly socketed 800xl it just popped in and fits snug.

Maybe I should order 2 more since I have a 130XE but I am nervous about desoldering that GTIA as the board is more fragile.

7 hours ago, ailwyn said:

Interestingly I lost the monitor video (composite) output when I removed the RF modulator (even if I go back to the GTIA), which came as a surprise, as I would have thought it generates that before the video and audio get to the RF modulator.

The circuitry to create composite video is inside the RF modulator on the 65XE/130XE, attached is a Sobola schematic of an XE modulator with this portion of the circuitry highlighted.

co70000.thumb.jpg.7e75f9c50a05763a818cc1b14ada9e6e.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 3:23 PM, Sinjinhawke said:

I have a couple Mini-DVI to VGA adaptors so I can confirm they exist.  Older iMacs, MacBooks and Powerbooks would use them to connect to projectors or monitors. 

From what I gather, it's mostly an Apple thing (and even then, more of an Applie mobile thing).

On 3/31/2021 at 1:29 PM, Calab said:

I've got a Sophia 2 on the way and was wondering what else I will need in order to complete the installation in my 1200XL. Anyone have some tips/photos/info?  I didn't see any installation instructions online.

I just installed a U1MB and Sophia 2 on my 1200xl. for my part, I was lucky that the roms were already the right size and so I just had to install the address line in addition to the 4 lines for U1MB....

But the Sophia 2 install, if the chips are socketed... easy peasy.  For now, until the Dremmel arrives and I pull the RF modulator, I just ran the cable through the SIO port and then put the motherboard back in the case... it seems to be working quite well so far.  I can still access the SIO port and it all works well thus far.

I got mine today, and haven't installed it yet.  There isn't a marking on the board that tells you where Pin 1 orientation is.  I thought it might be the conspicuous gold dot on one side of the board.  Glad I didn't try that, I was smart enough to look at videos and pictures of other installs, and it's on the opposite side of that dot.  I've searched a bit, and have seen no mention of this, so I decided to post here, so it might be of help to someone else.  I still think it would be good to add this into the documentation that is available.

• Like 2