IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

22 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

Strange, I thought that was why there was a specific RGB mode with interlace, since there is a specific VGA mode.  @Simius can you chime in here?

Simius posted an update Sophia 2 manual a few weeks back: 

The original feature spec is here:

Features:

- 100% compatible GTIA replacement

- PAL/NTSC encoding

- Independent RGB/YPbPr/VGA and DVI outputs

- eight selectable DVI modes

- 15 loadable 18-bit color palettes

19 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Simius posted an update Sophia 2 manual a few weeks back: 

The original feature spec is here:

Features:

- 100% compatible GTIA replacement

- PAL/NTSC encoding

- Independent RGB/YPbPr/VGA and DVI outputs

- eight selectable DVI modes

- 15 loadable 18-bit color palettes

Unless I'm missing something, I thought RGB specifically referred to RGB 15Khz, otherwise I'm not sure what RGB standard we are talking about, because technically VGA is RGB, just at a specific frequency.  YPBPr is component RGB, which again is also RGB (sorta) just based on a different standard from my understanding.  https://thecablesland.com/ypbpr-vs-rgb/

If it doesn't support 15Khz RGB, to output to ST color monitors, or Commodore/Amiga monitors RGB, then that's a simple answer, but I just want to make sure that's the case.

Edited by wildstar87

17 hours ago, Simius said:

Analog outputs of the Sophia 2 can be configured as 31kHz VGA mode, 15kHz RGB mode or 15kHz YPbPr mode. If you can get an image on your VGA monitor, the analog outputs are working. 

Thanks Simius, what would be the proper settings for 15Khz RGB in the Special features?  RGB, Sync mode norm or interlace? and I assume Sync out to Csync?

On 9/13/2023 at 12:27 AM, Dinadan67 said:

RGB 15khz works fine, i use a cheap DVI->VGA adapter + Lotharek's VGA->SCART cable to connect a Commodore 1084 monitor: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/98341-whats-the-latest-atari-related-things-youve-bought-on-ebay/page/201/#comment-4897729

Can you tell me what settings you used in the special features?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been trying to get my Sophia 2 analog RGB to work on my Amiga 1080 monitor. I think the sync voltage is a little low for it. I am using one of those Console5 power supplies and wonder if it is not providing enough amperage for U1MB and Sophia. I am able to run the RGB into RT5X or into the 1080 via the RGB-2YC which still looks pretty solid. 

IMG_5216.jpeg

19 hours ago, Dantaipan said:

I have been trying to get my Sophia 2 analog RGB to work on my Amiga 1080 monitor. I think the sync voltage is a little low for it. I am using one of those Console5 power supplies and wonder if it is not providing enough amperage for U1MB and Sophia. I am able to run the RGB into RT5X or into the 1080 via the RGB-2YC which still looks pretty solid. 

IMG_5216.jpeg

5v 2amps would be fine, so as long as you're console5 psu gives a clean power supply.