IGNORED

Unholy

Hi everyone.

About a month I decided create a game for Atari 2600. I've tried create a simple one some time ago, but now I started some bigger.

Then Unholy was born.

The story is based on a legend from my city: 

A young lady (Isabella Lorraine) gave a carnival party in her mansion on a Christian reserved date, disrespecting her parents and the traditions.

At the party, an uninvited person, Daniel Evander Von Icarus Lutox or just D.E.V.I.L, started to seduce her. She falled in love with him giving a passionate kiss, but after the kiss, a lightening hit the mansion, killing almost every guest and then the Devil got the lady's body.

An young monk (Gabriel Sancti) from a monastery nearby, was designated to save the survivors and take the young lady back.

So you are the monk with a wooden crucifix inside a unknown mansion. The mission is rescue 4 survivors and find Isabella to take her back.

#########################################

4th Demo - 08-20-2020

Unholy_demo_2020_08_20.bin

#####################################

3rd Demo - 07-07-2020  ** REMOVED **

2nd Demo - 06-09-2020  ** REMOVED **

1st Demo - 06-05-2020   ** REMOVED **

The game is almost done, but I have to debug and test on a real hardware yet.

This is the teaser:

What do you think?

Thanks...

unhol-main.jpg

Edited by Leonardo Santiago
3rd Demo Update
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 6:23 PM, Leonardo Santiago said:

What do you think?

The game looks pretty cool, but the main character is a bit lacking in animation, IMO.  Since you are controlling him all the time and he is always in view on screen, it would be nice if his body had a little more movement to it than the quasi-"hip shimmy" that you get while he is walking.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NostAlgae37 said:

The game looks pretty cool, but the main character is a bit lacking in animation, IMO.  Since you are controlling him all the time and he is always in view on screen, it would be nice if his body had a little more movement to it than the quasi-"hip shimmy" that you get while he is walking.

I was thinking about it since I read your suggestion, but I don't know how could I improve the movement without take that cassock off. (Weird .. :

I think some pants could make a monk looks like a normal person. What do you think?

But I'll try to change ... Thanks

• Like 1

I watched all your YouTube videos. I also read the legend.  http://saocarlosurgente.com/a-moca-que-dancou-com-o-diabo/ 

The game design has come a long way in a short time! I truly like the sprites, the title screen and the gameplay (as far as I can tell without actually playing it).

Brother Sancti needs his cassock and his crucifix. I hope you don't change those! Maybe the Devil could be made more frightening, and more like a boss battle, but I haven't seen enough to really know.

I like how when the player backtracks to avoid the ghosts he finds them still attacking on the next screen, from the other direction! That is a spooky and effective game element.

When the game starts, the screen could say "nunc coepi." That would be a nice touch! But if not, I will say it when I play!

The YouTube videos was uploaded after I started the design. Firstly I was sharing some short videos and images on my Instagram. (Just some context)

I think I found better sprites for Sancti, but it works better with a dark background than that colored one I have, but i think it's ok. About the Devil, I know I have to improve it, and the "final battle" also.

The game has a good amount of screens (I thought better not say how much ...) but you have to pass each one at least twice to complete the journey, then the enemies have to be always there. You can "kill" them once, but they are ghosts, they can come back to disturb you again ... ? ... That was always the intention.

Other considerations, what do you guys think about the score? Is it needed? ... Sometimes I miss it.

monk.gif

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Leonardo Santiago said:

monk.gif

Keep it up! This sprite is terrific. The solid color seems more appropriate for the subject and the animation is excellent. Maybe try making the downward-pointing arm a pixel or two longer? I love the cross bobbing up and down, it’s very evocative.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leonardo Santiago said:

I think I found better sprites for Sancti, but it works better with a dark background than that colored one I have, but i think it's ok. About the Devil, I know I have to improve it, and the "final battle" also.

Other considerations, what do you guys think about the score? Is it needed? ... Sometimes I miss it.

I don't know.  I liked the character sprite in the video.  The shading was really nice and I thought there was plenty of movement.  The updated one is nice too, but like you said, better against a black background and will look "hollow" when you put him against the colored screens.  Personally, I think the solid character with shading from the video is probably the better fit.

Score?  Unless there's a need for it, I wouldn't bother with it.  I think a lot of games have the score when it's not needed.  Especially a lot of batari basic games, just because it's part of the default setup (I'm not criticizing, just saying).  The only time I care about a score is when a high score is the point of the game rather than having missions/objectives/levels/bosses.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Leonardo Santiago said:

Hi everyone.

About a month I decided create a game for Atari 2600. I've tried create a simple one some time ago, but now I started some bigger.

Then Unholy was born.

The story is based on a legend from my city: 

A young lady (Isabella Lorraine) gave a carnival party in her mansion on a Christian reserved date, disrespecting her parents and the traditions.

At the party, an uninvited person, Daniel Evander Von Icarus Lutox or just D.E.V.I.L, started to seduce her. She falled in love with him giving a passionate kiss, but after the kiss, a lightening hit the mansion, killing almost every guest and then the Devil got the lady's body.

An young monk (Gabriel Sancti) from a monastery near, was designated to save the survivors and take the young lady back.

So you are the monk with a wooden crucifix inside a unknown mansion. The mission is rescue 4 survivors and find Isabella to take her back.

This is the teaser:

What do you think?

Thanks...

unhol-main.jpg

Looks like ET for satanists with the guys chasing and pit falling. Lol

• Haha 2

On 5/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, Leonardo Santiago said:

1st Demo - 06-05-2020

Unholy_demo_06_05_2020.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

1st demo available!

If you ant to support the develpment, check it out: https://leocsanti.itch.io/unholy

?

Edited by Leonardo Santiago
  • Like 1

We'll be playing Unholy on tomorrow's (Sun Jun 7) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, Leonardo Santiago said:

2nd Demo - 06-09-2020

Unholy_demo_06_09_2020.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

Hi guys.

I fixed some issues on the demo.

I decided keep only the newest demo version.

• Like 1

I've played both demo roms so far. Here is my feedback:

With both roms I have experienced screen rolling or vertical hold issues, running Stella 6.0. Maybe I need to update?

The sprite for Bro. Sancti is well done and nicely animated. I do miss the "gradient" coloring from the earlier version however.

I wonder if some of the holes or pits could be changed to solid obstructions, so that I don't always fall to my death when I make a mistake. Instead I could just be hindered by the obstruction. You could change the color from black to some other contrasting color and make them "no go" areas, with no need to change anything else. Then there would be two kinds of hazards, one dangerous, the other lethal. This would make the gameplay more diverse and nuanced, and less repetitive and less frustrating.

I hope the sounds are developed further. They are basic and a tad harsh. I like the little bit of music. More music here and there would be good!

I love the ghost and skull sprites. and their movement.

I would like the game more if the navigation of the rooms was a tad less punishing, and the ghosts were a tad more challenging. The ghosts are usually not too tricky to deal with, while walking around is a bit like playing E.T.

I think this game has much potential, and I am excited to see it develop. I am anxious to explore more rooms and meet that devil!

• Like 2