IGNORED

Crackpots appreciation thread

Brad2600

Anyone else enjoy this game?

I just finished up a round. My score is 25,010 and it's the first time I've played it ever since I played it on the PS1 Activision Classics disc. I beat my brother at it too!

I love this game.

It's so simple and addictive.

I've found that you can kill 3-4 spiders with one pot. This helps increase the score over time.

ANyone else enjoy his game too?

As with most Activision titles, I think it is great. I actually just recently got my cartridge (maybe a week or two ago) so I haven't mastered it yet. Great game, and yes, very addictive. I can't help but think of Kaboom! when I first start playing it. That is the one thing about Activision games. . . they were able to make great games, and take ideas from previous games, and make them work in a completely different enviroment. Crackpots! <---> Kaboom!, Megamania <---> Plaque Attack, and a score of others. I can't name too many Activision games I don't enjoy. Sure, some of the earlier titles are weaker, but in comparision to the other games available at that time they are great. But getting back to the question at hand. . . Crackpots is great!

Yeah.  Activision titles have the reputation for being excellent.  I mean, even the worst ones are better than most mediocre / good titles from other companies!   :D  

And in some cases, that's saying a lot!

This pretty much sums it up for me. For me a mediocre Activision game is better than 90% of the other games out there, including Atari's own carts. I like Crackpots, but then I love games like H.E.R.O. and Frostbite.

To be honest... I've never been a huge fan. The graphics are pretty good, but it's basically a reverse Kaboom!, and those types of games work much better with paddles than the joystick.

Same goes for Off the Wall... great graphics but it needs to be a paddle game! (OK... I know it's not Activision... but it wouldn't be me if I didn't try to derail the thread... ;) )

I just got my CRACKPOTS cart a couple weeks ago. I think it is a great game, I loved it back in the day and still do. I remember it being my mother's favorite game. Paddles would make this game a bit easier, but I think it's just fine as is (although the zig-zagging bugs me after a while too).

There must be some sort of glitch because you can't even catch the bugs in the later levels.

I have an :idea:

Why can't someone hack this game?

Oh right....they can't Activision would get on their asses.

Oh well. I agree that it would work better with paddles.

Anyone else enjoy this game?

I just finished up a round. My score is 25,010 and it's the first time I've played it ever since I played it on the PS1 Activision Classics disc. I beat my brother at it too!

I love this game.

It's so simple and addictive.

I've found that you can kill 3-4 spiders with one pot. This helps increase the score over time.

ANyone else enjoy his game too?

Yep, I think it's fun game. Like others have already said, it's just Kaboom on its head. What I like about this game though is that it gets so hard that you can't play it forever. Kaboom gets to a certain point where it doesn't get any faster and it's not too hard to master that game and play forever. After a certain point, this game gets just way too hard and you have to give up eventually. My high score is around 80,000 I think. :D

Crackpots is a good game. It's one I've yet to master. It has 4 bug types with a specific pattern for each color of bug. Then it has 8 difficulty levels. Just like Kaboom, when you make a mistake, it reverts to the previous lower difficulty level which must then be repeated.

Black-move straight up

Blue-zig zag, but stay on same column- straight up

Red- move diagonallly, these are the most difficult for me now

Green- Move straight up on same column, but will dodge to the left to miss pots. Easy to kill just near the top of the screen. Drop a pot on them just before they enter the window.

Can anyone else offer some good tips? I could use them! :idea:

Todd Rogers. . . paging Todd Rogers. . .

Todd is so good at these games and the skills are so obvious to him, that he will sometimes neglect to mention something simple that everyone else is missing in their game play. I've noticed that I need to get VERY good at a game before I ask Todd for help!

And to his credit... Most of the time I just have to put in more time on the game and let my brain tune in. Then the game will seem to slow down for me. I have not gotten to this level of play on Crackpots yet. I know it will take me a lot of time to master.

Just like on Plaque attack... My score is in second place on TG(88,870). I played and played with Todd's record of 999,999 as my goal. I failed! I said to Todd-- this is impossible! He told me that when I've played enough, I will instinctively know which invaders will be capable of attacking the remaining teeth and then I will know which ones to shoot first. I cannot yet sense this aspect of the game. If I ever do, I'm sure my score will improve immensely.

I'm having similar trouble with bomb group 8 on Kaboom! I don't think anyone can just tell me how it's done. :sad: :twisted: