IGNORED

Anyone playing Duke Nukem?

Punisher5.0

I know it should be a no-brainer at that price, but I'm still on the fence. Contrary to a common friend (honk honk), I really hate having countless games on my backlog and I try to beat every game I own. I bought both Doom games, but only played the first one I didn't know as well as the second; I liked the first chapter, but in the end it was quite tedious and I don't really want to touch the extra levels... ? Back in the days, I enjoyed the first few levels of Duke Nukem 3D and it was one my first LAN experiences, but I definitely prefer more subtle FPS.

• Haha 1

I found my original CD a few months ago. Just for lols I fired up DOSbox and installed it. The game pre-dates “modern” FPS games that have more or less standardized on WASD for movement + mouse aiming. So it’s kind of a PITA to play again for someone who has played modern games for decades now. The “obsolete” control scheme really detracts from the fun for me. But it’s still an amusing blast from the past. :)

image.thumb.png.ed76e02d01a1102e67854bcedab69156.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I picked this up for $5 on the eshop. Its very well done and has no censorship! 

Didn't the World Tour version replaced the red crosses on the medkits with pills?

(Seems more apporiate for the 'roid scarfing Dukester...) :D

At $5 it's kind of tempting, but to be fair, so is Doom 64 and in both cases I have pure original copies or updated copies already so it's less tempting enough still to not buy them.  There's Doom64 EX and my original cart, and then there's Duke32 and my original DOS CD of it along with a GoG copy too.  Doom when I sprung for that and #2 were like a $1.50 sale day and I do like to far more often fire them up for random abuse so that's the only reason they exist.

19 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Yes- it struck me immediately how much worse I am at it than 25 years ago, lol.  This Old Digdug immediately looked up the cheat menu.

Reveal hidden contents

Were you using the gyro aiming? I had to turn that off right away. Its a nice option but just not for me.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:12 AM, roots.genoa said:

I know it should be a no-brainer at that price, but I'm still on the fence. Contrary to a common friend (honk honk), I really hate having countless games on my backlog and I try to beat every game I own. I bought both Doom games, but only played the first one I didn't know as well as the second; I liked the first chapter, but in the end it was quite tedious and I don't really want to touch the extra levels... ? Back in the days, I enjoyed the first few levels of Duke Nukem 3D and it was one my first LAN experiences, but I definitely prefer more subtle FPS.

believe it or not, i've finished about 90% of the games I own on the Switch that have clear 'win' scenarios.  ;)

Witcher 3, StarLink, and Mario/Rabbids I think are the main ones that I haven't managed to finish yet.. probably because I get distracted by games like Duke Nukem, lol

I managed to get the Megaton edition and the World Tour version, back when they were available. I think the latter is still available, but the former isn't, due to legal issues. I also got an android app for the game, but because of the same legal issues, it was discontinued before I could unlock the other chapters in it, and my tablet is proving stubborn to root, so I could hack them in.

Which Duke Nukem? There are so many!

I beat the second game back in the day, liked it a lot...the first game is fun too, but I only got about halfway through it. Need to get back into that one, would be fun as a handheld game.

Was just playing 3D a few months ago, on a real DOS machine with fancy Yamaha MIDI. I still think the shareware episode is the best one...I was just starting the final (Atomic) episode when I got distracted by Dark Forces (also with fancy Yamaha MIDI).

I played the demo of Forever and thought it was fine, but I remember it had some kind of "console to PC port" issues where mouse movement was all broken. Hopefully someone has fixed it since then.

Never really played any of the numerous spinoffs, but GameBoy Color had a cool one that was kind of a remix of DN2.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, DrVenkman said:

The game pre-dates “modern” FPS games that have more or less standardized on WASD for movement + mouse aiming. So it’s kind of a PITA to play again for someone who has played modern games for decades now.

You do know that nobody will come knocking at your door with a warrant if you change Duke Nukem 3D's control scheme to WASD, right??

2 hours ago, xabin said:

I managed to get the Megaton edition and the World Tour version, back when they were available. I think the latter is still available, but the former isn't, due to legal issues.

I'm not sure if it's "legal issues", I think they would just prefer that you buy the fancier version. A lot of digital-release games do that.

6 minutes ago, Asaki said:

You do know that nobody will come knocking at your door with a warrant if you change Duke Nukem 3D's control scheme to WASD, right??

Well d'uh. But I also know I played the shit out of the game 20-odd years ago and I've got plenty of other more-current things to play that don't require me to remap all the controls to enjoy. 

tl;dr - younger me played and beat the game decades ago. I just installed it for a laugh to see if I could. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Which Duke Nukem? There are so many!

I beat the second game back in the day, liked it a lot...the first game is fun too, but I only got about halfway through it. Need to get back into that one, would be fun as a handheld game.

Was just playing 3D a few months ago, on a real DOS machine with fancy Yamaha MIDI. I still think the shareware episode is the best one...I was just starting the final (Atomic) episode when I got distracted by Dark Forces (also with fancy Yamaha MIDI).

I played the demo of Forever and thought it was fine, but I remember it had some kind of "console to PC port" issues where mouse movement was all broken. Hopefully someone has fixed it since then.

Never really played any of the numerous spinoffs, but GameBoy Color had a cool one that was kind of a remix of DN2.

I'm not sure if it's "legal issues", I think they would just prefer that you buy the fancier version. A lot of digital-release games do that.

No, I'm pretty sure it's legal issues with the licensing; it keeps switching hands and developers so many times, that it's impossible to really tell who has it, at any given time.

7 hours ago, xabin said:

I managed to get the Megaton edition and the World Tour version, back when they were available. I think the latter is still available, but the former isn't, due to legal issues. I also got an android app for the game, but because of the same legal issues, it was discontinued before I could unlock the other chapters in it, and my tablet is proving stubborn to root, so I could hack them in.

Megaton is still available in some countries on PSN. I wish I got it on Steam when it was available.

• Like 1

Classic dn3d? I'd totally play that, I might even buy it if it got a physical release. I've got enough duke 3d though, and it's hard to beat the pc original. The remake was pretty good though, got it for ps4, but I don't see it getting a cart release for switch. Love that it has modern control scheme, and you can play with the old, or updated graphics.