IGNORED

New versions available

F.G. Kaal

On 8/23/2022 at 5:45 PM, 9640News said:

Fred,

Two suggestions for GDM2K.

I use GDM2K quite a bit.  On real hardware, when I type GDM2K at the MDOS prompt, if I hit <ENTER> too quickly while a sound/beep is being played when the program first loads, the sound generator keeps on with a continuous beep and never ends.  I don't know if a longer timeout would be a solution, or completely disabling the beep would be best.  I find that when this happens, if I quit GDM2K with the Q key, the sound continues.  Thus, I reboot the Geneve to solve the sound issue.

Second suggestion if a slight modification to handling the command line launch of GDM2K.

If I am at the J:\MDOS path prompt, and I type:

J:\MDOS>GDM2K I:\

I would prefer to see GDM2K catalog the I:\ drive on the left window, and with a non-entry for the second path, use the current path so that the right window would show files at J:\MDOS.

Beery

The BEEP sounds like an MDOS problem to me, but I look into this.

The current path idea for the right window is nice, I like this 🙂

Maybe also when no path is defined on the command line then also use the current path for the left window.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

The BEEP sounds like an MDOS problem to me, but I look into this.

The current path idea for the right window is nice, I like this 🙂

Maybe also when no path is defined on the command line then also use the current path for the left window.

Right now, when no path follows "GDM2K", GDM2K defaults to whatever the current path is for both windows.

Did you develop GDM2K on MAME with Geneve emulation, or on the real hardware?

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

Right now, when no path follows "GDM2K", GDM2K defaults to whatever the current path is for both windows.

Did you develop GDM2K on MAME with Geneve emulation, or on the real hardware?

First development (2009) was on the real hardware. First releases was developed on my laptop. First tests are on MAME with Geneve emulation. Final test is on the real hardware.

What do you do to get the continious beep?

I am loading GDM2K from a DREM but I never have a contineous beep (using MDOS 7.30)

more info:

I can get a long beep when after reading a directory pressing F10 (fctn-0) and pressing enter during the beep. This is a very difficult game ... you have more skils for this than I have 🙂

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1

@F.G. Kaal

When I used GDM2K without any command line prompts, try hitting <ENTER> multiple times as it is going through the screens.  If one hits <ENTER> during the beep sound, but before it has an attempt to recognize a path and display the files, the <beep> sound stays on continuously.  Even quitting GDM2K leaves the beep sound continuous.

I just did a test on MAME, and the issue does not exist with it.  I did notice one difference between MAME and the way I am doing things at home.  At home, when I run GDM2K, I  am generally at a prompt for the HRD4000B. GDM2K is on my HDS1 drive, but I see the issue when pulling up directory listings for my HRD or TIPI.   I am going to copy @InsaneMultitasker on this message to see if he may have similar issues or not.  I should also note my system has a PFM.

Beery

@F.G. Kaal

I have been dealing with the above described issue for months now, and right at the moment, I can not duplicate the issue via the method I described above.  I am going to need to test some other things to find some way to reproduce the problem.

At the moment, I see no issue, but it has been something in the past I could have reproduced at any time.  Not sure what the cause is now.

Beery

12 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If the sound is initiated via the Geneve OS sound XOP, GDM2K must periodically enable interrupts so that the OS can process the sound. If GDM2K writes directly to the sound chip, Fred will need to manage that within his application.

Aha, did not know about periodically enabling interrupt. I am using a XOP like this:

#asm
BEEP   LI   R1,1400            Freq 1
       JMP  HONK1
HONK   LI   R1,220             Freq 1
HONK1  LI   R2,>0000           Freq 2
       LI   R3,>0000           Freq 3
       LI   R4,>000F           Gen1 on, Gen2 off
       LI   R5,>0F00           Gen3 off
       LI   R6,>000F           Noise off
       LI   R7,>000A           Duration of sound
       LI   R0,>0033           Sound
       XOP  @VIDXOP,0
       B    *R13
#endasm

How must that interrupt thing be done in the Geneve OS? Also LIMI 2, LIMI 0 or is it something else ?

Bummer ... I have lost all my MDOS XOP descriptions 😞 ... can't find it anyware. Can't even remember where I found this sound XOP. Also did a XOP search on WHTECH but did not find much yet.

I had a floppydisk once with all the XOP descriptions

10:20

Just found the MDOS XOP desciptions back in the GenRef pdf files 🙂

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 9640News said:

@F.G. Kaal

I have been dealing with the above described issue for months now, and right at the moment, I can not duplicate the issue via the method I described above.  I am going to need to test some other things to find some way to reproduce the problem.

At the moment, I see no issue, but it has been something in the past I could have reproduced at any time.  Not sure what the cause is now.

Beery

Here is version 3.4 to try out.

I removed the BEEPs and HONKs for now.

If nothing is on the command line the current path is used for both windows.

If one path is on the command line the current path is used for the right window.

Gdm2k_V34.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:04 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

If one path is on the command line the current path is used for the right window.

Gdm2k_V34.zip 13.76 kB · 7 downloads

Thanks for the update!

Much appreciated.

Beery

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was trying to get GDM2K without the hassle of having to add a ti header, but I've only found v 2.3 which for some reason only gives me one window. Does any of you have a 3.3 or 3.4 with the ti headers, eventually as an Archiver 3 package? Am I doing something wrong since I only get one window?

12 minutes ago, Brufnus said:

Hi,

I was trying to get GDM2K without the hassle of having to add a ti header, but I've only found v 2.3 which for some reason only gives me one window. Does any of you have a 3.3 or 3.4 with the ti headers, eventually as an Archiver 3 package? Am I doing something wrong since I only get one window?

you can download the latest GDM2k in a couple of messages above from Fred (dated 8/27/2022), then you can add the TI Files Header using Freds TI99DIR.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brufnus said:

Hi,

I use TIDIR to add the header.  Here are the files after I unzipped them, then used TIDIR to to convert V9T9 to TIFILES headers.  The readme.txt file is a Windows text file.

GDM2L GDM2M GDM2N GDM2K Gdm2k_readme.txt

• Like 1

Just now, Shift838 said:

you can download the latest GDM2k in a couple of messages above from Fred (dated 8/27/2022), then you can add the TI Files Header using Freds TI99DIR.

Hi, thanks for your reply - you were faster than me; I just found TI99DIR on my PC and converted v 3.4 and now it's working as I was hoping. :-D

It's the first time ever I've seen that one on my Geneve, but it will definitely come in handy now that I'm about to archive all my TI/Geneve stuff and distribute it to the community. There's a bunch of cartridges too, that I intend to distribute once dumped.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brufnus said:

Hi,

Gdm2k with one window is dm2k (the ti99 version). Only gdm2k version 1.0 had one window and that version was never released.

2 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I use TIDIR to add the header.  Here are the files after I unzipped them, then used TIDIR to to convert V9T9 to TIFILES headers.  The readme.txt file is a Windows text file.

GDM2L 8.13 kB · 0 downloads GDM2M 8.13 kB · 0 downloads GDM2N 5.88 kB · 0 downloads GDM2K 8.13 kB · 0 downloads Gdm2k_readme.txt 3.15 kB · 0 downloads

I just managed to get 3.4 converted and now it works - but thanks anyway! It will come in handy when archiving all my diskettes. :-D 

• Like 1

Just now, F.G. Kaal said:

Gdm2k with one window is dm2k (the ti99 version). Only gdm2k version 1.0 had one window and that version was never released.

Ah okay... so it''s the converted edition I downloaded? Then it makes sense. Anyway, I'm good to go now - thanks for your kind and extremely fast replies, all of you! 🕵️‍♂️ 

• Like 2

No doubt the best disk manager I've ever seen for the Geneve! That will prove most useful now that I'm about to archive so many disks. I don't know exactly how many I have, but at least two hundred - so there's definitely something in between that some of you will find useful, when I'm ready to distribute it to the community. There will be quite a few cartridge dumps as well.

Edited by Brufnus
  • Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 4:04 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Gdm2k_V34.zip 13.76 kB · 16 downloads

Fred, 

By far, GDM2K is the best disk manager written to date.  If I may ask, is the program written in assembly or another language?

Part of the reason I ask, is I wonder if you are receptive to adding additional features as I have routines written in assembly to minimize some coding efforts.  Clint Pulley's Directory Manager has a couple of options to launch programs from within his Directory Manager when say for example a special key is selected.  As an example, one can hit X to eXecute a specific program and it would launch the current program or batch file highlighted.  Or, in another example, one could press a key that would launch another program and pass a command line argument of the current file highlighted.  In this latter case, such an example would be to launch a picture viewer for a graphic such as TI-Artist, MyArt, GIF, etc.

Several examples of code are available, and I know a couple of us would welcome such capabilities.  I don't know how much free memory you have with the current buffers in use which I would not want you to compromise to feature creep.

Beery

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 9640News said:

Fred, 

By far, GDM2K is the best disk manager written to date.  If I may ask, is the program written in assembly or another language?

Part of the reason I ask, is I wonder if you are receptive to adding additional features as I have routines written in assembly to minimize some coding efforts.  Clint Pulley's Directory Manager has a couple of options to launch programs from within his Directory Manager when say for example a special key is selected.  As an example, one can hit X to eXecute a specific program and it would launch the current program or batch file highlighted.  Or, in another example, one could press a key that would launch another program and pass a command line argument of the current file highlighted.  In this latter case, such an example would be to launch a picture viewer for a graphic such as TI-Artist, MyArt, GIF, etc.

Several examples of code are available, and I know a couple of us would welcome such capabilities.  I don't know how much free memory you have with the current buffers in use which I would not want you to compromise to feature creep.

Beery

The most part of Gdm2k is written in Clint Pulley's C99 and optimized by 3 optimizers. Things of which I thought that could be done shorter/faster are written in assembly.

Gdm2k is a direct copy of Dm2k only all file IO is replaced by the MDOS XOP variants. The X(ecute) option is now dissabled because I don't know how to do it. I also don't know if memory is an issue ... Gdm2k starts with a malloc() for file buffers. Examples for some new neat options for Gdm2k are welcome 🙂

Fred

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

DM (Directory Manager) was written by Clint in C, compiled by TIC and assembled with TASM.  If DM code would help to understand how some of the MDOS  processes are handled, I am happy to share the current source for reference. (I have updated it periodically for minor bug fixes and feature changes).

Thanks, This will be helpful to 🙂