IGNORED

General upscaler thread

Wow, the Tink-4K will even have a VGA connector and will handle PC/MS-DOS stuff that runs at 70hz. As someone still rocking a Framemeister and a separate Extron device for retro PC stuff, this might be the magic-bullet, all-in-one solution I need. The, "Budget $1,000.... but expect to be pleasantly surprised," on the site makes me wonder what the end price is going to be.

• Like 1

I'm personally thinking maybe $800 final price. The Pixel Morph 4k being $500, potentially half the price, isn't something I can just shrug off either. It should be a solid device, but the RetroTINK and Mike's constantly improving firmware is very good and has focus for these two devices.

Edited by Ricdeau

On 8/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, Austin said:

Wow, the Tink-4K will even have a VGA connector and will handle PC/MS-DOS stuff that runs at 70hz. As someone still rocking a Framemeister and a separate Extron device for retro PC stuff, this might be the magic-bullet, all-in-one solution I need. The, "Budget $1,000.... but expect to be pleasantly surprised," on the site makes me wonder what the end price is going to be.

I read that too … but 1000$ (even 900) is too rich for me.

I do have an XRGB mini, a retro tink 2X-M with Scart2Comp transcoder (had I known the 5X was coming ….) and a retro tink 5X … enough for me.

As mentioned if the Pixel Morph delivers at less than half maybe that …

On 3/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, M-S said:

I forgot there was a thread specifically about upscalers, now I think it's better to ask here than the other subforums, which cable brands do you use for RGB/Component setups? The only high quality ones that I know are Retro Gaming Cables and HD Retrovision.

I haven't seen anyone mention Insurrection Industries.  I've got a few of their cables that work great for me.  Recently they introduced some S-video cables that I really like, and they've been making an effort to keep them in stock.

11 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

I read that too … but 1000$ (even 900) is too rich for me.

I do have an XRGB mini, a retro think 2X-M with Scart2Comp transcoder (had I known the 5X was coming ….) and a retro think 5X … enough for me.

As mentioned if the Pixel Morph delivers at less than half maybe that …

They list the price of the Pixel FX models on their site. $400 for the HDMI-only model, $500 for the analogue input model. Both have a slight discount further if you pre-order them early.

Edited by Austin

Why would the RetroTink 4K be substantially more expensive than the 5x Pro?  It's bigger, more connections, but really the FPGA cost is the only wild card. Pixel FX I see finally announced a release, although not really.  Their incredibly tardiness will be its undoing.  Mike Chi's team have been a truly remarkable model for the retro community.  I myself don't really need the 4K, but it's going to be the #1 for many, for sure. 

12 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

….

I myself don't really need the 4K, but it's going to be the #1 for many, for sure. 

“#1 for many” at a 1000$ price tag may redefine “many”.

Note that once you are in the 720p or 1080p digital domain, 4K and even 8K is integer scaling and it shouldn’t be bad by default on any set. Granted they will add tons of effects to simulate a crt much better but it may not justify the forecasted 3x surge in price vs the 5X (and yes it’s mostly the FPGA imho that impacts the final price).

The other thing I have no appreciation for is “plastic customization/custom coloring” … maybe once you pay 1000$ you appreciate that but it’s one of those things I shudder at.

I am in no rush, spent already enough as it is, if the XRGB mini had better resolution transition handling I would not have purchased anything else … the 2X-M was cheap enough to just try even if I should have waited for the 5X. I have only one 4K TV and never streamed/connected anything past 1080p (aka 2K).

I don't think too many will care for the customization. Few are going to get a kick out of replacing decent looking case components with ugly 3D printed aftermarket pieces. Someone will like it like the RetroRGB guy on YouTube that loves the look of 3D printed plastic, but most will stick with the stock plastic shell.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

https://videogameperfection.com/products/ossc-pro/

OSSC Pro product page is up now too. Marqs said over the weekend it should go on sale this week. Not sure if sold out means sold out already or if it hasn't been up yet. I haven't been as interested in the OSSC Pro since it's closer to the RetroTink 5X and have my sights on the RetroTink 4k.

I haven't seen anything updated on the Morph which should land between the OSSC Pro and RetroTink 4k.

Edited by Ricdeau
  • Like 1