IGNORED

General upscaler thread

4 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

Next some PC Engine shots (composite video >> Retrotink >> HDMI-component transcoder >> OSSC)

ossc_profiles_0.88(2).json 52.67 kB · 1 download

Composite to HDMI (via RetroTink) then back to component (via transcoder) than forward again to HDMI (via OSSC) ..... there's gotta be a better way.

Sadly, there isn't.  The Koryu is an option, but it doesn't have a comb filter and I wouldn't suggest using it for composite sources.

It's not really a big deal, tho.  You could even velcro the Retrotink and transcoder belly-to-belly and connect them with a very short HDMI cable, maybe even put those both in a custom enclosure to make your own all-in-one-unit.  Then it's just a component cable running to the OSSC.

• Like 1

OSSC + Saturn time. The game is of course

Pic_0319_597.thumb.jpg.1f949bef06fd8b8f1d08edd4c2a17b73.jpg

The monitor is of course adjusted to 4:3, but it still looks a bit wide to me. Still, I think that might have to do with the Saturn version's mangled art assets from the PS1 conversion. Anyway, there is a specific reason that I chose this game, and that's this

Pic_0319_598.thumb.jpg.8bde88dac029e9de948a433a702d2be3.jpg

As you can see, this game has some stuff that's supposed to be hidden by overscan. I wonder if this has something to do with the game running at only 207 pixels tall on the PS1. It's even more apparent when you move to the next room:

Pic_0319_599.thumb.jpg.9a3266d2584f483038d2e7c79e4d9b64.jpg

So yeah, if you are bothered by overscan stuff, you might have to configure some stuff to hide the overscan areas for games like this one. This is also an example of one of the extremely few places where this game actually has proper transparencies. What the hell happened that they couldn't get the entire rest of the game to have proper transparencies? Whatever. Too late for them to fix it now.

I mentioned before that I had problems with the interlaced menu and got it working. If I set it to bob deinterlace, I get nothing. If I set it to passthrough, I get this

Pic_0319_602.thumb.jpg.d2a6439517826f5d661fefaeaa2c8bb3.jpg

At least I can mostly see what's going on here in the menu, but only this part of the menu is interlaced. The rest is in progressive scan for some reason, and I am glad that it is. Interestingly, Thunder Force V's interlaced menu works fine in bob deinterlace mode. If you have problems with interlaced resolutions, try a bunch of different stuff like the passthrough mode, as you might get lucky like I did. My monitor doesn't support interlaced signals, as you can see, but I still get a picture anyway for some reason. Not sure what is causing this to somewhat work, but I'm happy that it kind of does.

I also tried some fake scanlines. I've never seen fake scanlines that look good and my camera's resolution really isn't high enough to take pictures of them, but here's scanlines Maria since her sprite is kind of cute

Pic_0319_607.thumb.jpg.56a754cbd59bc00e37d539e1daed2129.jpg

I forget the settings and I didn't save them and turned the OSSC off already, but it was non-custom horizontal with somewhere around 50% strength and somewhere between 100% and 175% hybridness, as I'm going for something resembling a consumer CRT for the Saturn. I tried mimicking my Trinitron's grid thingy, which has much more visible vertical scanlines than horizontal scanlines, but it doesn't look anywhere close to my Trinitron, so I gave up, especially since you can't actually see the scanlines on my Trinitron unless you're about 1 or 2 feet away from it. I might try it again later.

I decided to drag my Saturn out from storage last night.  I was very surprised to find that the onboard battery still retained my saves, though the console had been sitting in a box for probably half a year lol.

Here are some offscreen shots, all using the OSSC with my standard LINE5X settings.

DSC_0546.thumb.JPG.ee1afc9acff7d9cf48334becf46a0168.JPG

Tactics Ogre is the reason I dragged the console out from storage, actually.  It's the "best" version of the original game, as the PSX version is a (poor) straight port of the SFC game, while the Saturn version runs in a higher resolution with an awesome upgraded soundtrack.  However, instead of redrawing everything for the higher resolution, they simply reused the sprites and draw more of the background.  It gives the art a slightly squashed look horizontally, but it's not too noticeable unless you compare the game side-by-side with the SFC or PSX version.  Being able to see more of the map at once is nice, though.

DSC_0553.thumb.JPG.25720e712d4808f981da1b51177e3524.JPG

Speaking of Saturn vs. PSX, here's Biohazard on the Saturn.  Capcom did a fantastic job on this one.  The character models looks quite different, and I assume Capcom changed them around to look better with the quad-based approach the Saturn uses for polygonal objects.  In some respects, I prefer the Saturn models—they are a lot more solid without as much clipping/warping/glitching (and no dithering), and the redone faces look a lot more like human faces and less like the robot faces of the PSX version.  All in all a port any Saturn fan can be proud of.

DSC_0550.thumb.JPG.2709263d146ffc87c30012421e569d68.JPG

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.  A great port of this fun arcade brawler, no RAM cart needed.  Simply beautiful pixel art all throughout the game, and it's a blast to play.

---

Overall thoughts on Saturn

I am always surprised by how clean and colorful Saturn games look, especially after playing a bunch of PSX games.  Don't get me wrong, the PSX is my favorite system of all time... but it's always a shock going from the PSX, with its ever-present full screen dithering and warping textures, to the Saturn.

I'm also always impressed when I see (good) polygonal games running on the Saturn, as they tend to look a lot more solid than PSX games due to much less texture warping and similar glitches.  The PSX can definitely push more polys at a higher frame rate, but there's something to be said for a nice, solid low poly look when it's done right.

Finally, I was surprised by how many Saturn games have a vertical resolution of 224 lines rather than 240.  It seems to be an even split for the PSX library (at least with the games in my library), but the majority of games I played last night on the Saturn were definitely 224.  I wonder if this was done for performance reasons.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 7:16 PM, newtmonkey said:

I think I've settled on my "final" settings, with profiles for each system (and separate 240 and 224 profiles for the PSX, Saturn, and N64).

- Universal settings for all profiles -

Sampling options:

Allow TVP HPLL2x: Off

- This kept Line5x mode completely stable for me

Output options:

240p/288p proc: Line5x (Generic 4:3)

480i/576i proc: Line4x (Generic 4:3)

480p/576p proc: Line2x (Generic 4:3)

Line5x format: 1600x1200

- Assuming the TV supports this resolution, this gives you an image that fills the screen top-to-bottom* with a nearly perfect 4:3 AR (ever so slightly narrow)

Scanline options:

Scanlines: Auto

Sl. strength: 100% (doesn't matter though)

Sl. hybrid str: 75%

Scanline type: Custom

Custom Sl.: Line 1/5: 100%, Column 1: 50%

- This gives the image a high-end consumer CRT look.  For a PVM/BVM look, just set "Scanline type" to horizontal

Compatibility:

Full TX setup: On

- This completely prevented sync from dropping during resolution switches

---

- Individual settings as needed -

Video in proc:

Pre-ADC Gain: If using a Retrotink and HDMI-to-component transcoder, I found the Retrotink "retro" comb filter (crucial for composite video sources) to darken the image slightly.  Adjusting this upward one or two notches can brighten the image.

Sampling options:

H.active: Set this from 720 to 640 for DC VGA, as it will ensure the proper aspect ratio while also providing the full resolution.

V.active: Set this from 240 to 224 for any system with an internal resolution of NNNx224 to ensure the screen is filled vertically and to remove graphical garbage meant to be hidden in the overscan area.

Audio options:

Pre-ADC gain: I found the volume to be very low from consoles connected to the OSSC via the Retrotink to HDMI-to-component transcoder, and increasing this to +6dB or so resolved it.

---

I've attached a JSON file with my profiles if anyone is interested.  This can be imported to the OSSC using the "OSSC Profiles" tool online (http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/).  This includes the following profiles:

- PSX (separate 240 and 224 profiles) [RGB]

- SFC [RGB]

- Megadrive [RGB]

- Famicom [composite]

- PC Engine [composite]

- N64 (separate 240 and 224 profiles) [S-Video]

- Saturn (separate 240 and 224 profiles) [RGB]

- Dreamcast 480p/240p [RGB]

- Atari Jaguar [RGB]

- Atari 8-bit [Composite]

---

Finally, some pictures I took last night.

CC_240.thumb.JPG.cb1bb43a83f2a778090572bdeb61cabf.JPG

CC_224.thumb.JPG.9b0f69748a0a56103544c54a162b3524.JPG

Chrono Cross set to 240 lines active vs 224 lines active.  It's not a huge deal, and I probably will just settle on using one or the other for PSX, but for now it's nice to have the option to quickly switch between 240 and 224.  Note that Chrono Cross still has slight black bars on the top and bottom even when set to 224—that's just how some PSX games are.  I'm not sure if its for performance reasons or perhaps due to the aspect ratio of the artwork used, but another (strange) example is Arc the Lad, which is nearly in widescreen if you set the OSSC to 240 active lines!

Next some PC Engine shots (composite video >> Retrotink >> HDMI-component transcoder >> OSSC)

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68PCD.thumb.JPG.1e2f2e817fddae6902b8653319a4a48b.JPG

PC Denjin aka Air Zonk. One of the better-looking hucard games on the system with giant colorful sprites and some great parralax scrolling.  Composite video from the PC Engine always impresses me.  Sharp lines, vibrant colors, etc.

XAK.thumb.JPG.998f625279d8218dc547a843f3b11410.JPG

A shot from the intro to Xak I/II or maybe Xak III (can't remember which I selected...).  It's a little hard to believe this is 1) the PCE and 2) composite video.  Standing a bit away from the TV made it look a little like I had paused a (slightly low quality) VHS tape.

ossc_profiles_0.88(2).json 52.67 kB · 2 downloads

I finally got my video chain setup. It took quite a bit of work to get it just right. Part of that was not being familiar what some of the settings meant. The retrotink 2x classic "passthrough" mode does not work on my video chain, but not a big deal because 2x mode worked fine. I found the picture too bright (as in, the "pedestal" was removed and bumped up). It's possible that HMDI to component converter is doing this (I found one on amazon that looked exactly like the recommended one). But that's not a probably, because "G/Y" offset is actually "brightness" and "G/Y" gain is actually contrast. Likewise, R/R-Y and B/B-Y is color saturation. But now you have brightness and contrast control for saturation, which is REALLY nice. Just to note, it does not work like that if you have an RGB source. This is for component only. And the pre-gain ADC is just that. So with that in mind, I used the 240p test suite, and a few known games, and was able to calibrate the whole video chain to that of my calibrated CRT. My scanline options are a little different than what you have, but look pretty close. I'm just amazed! Like I cannot express how impressed I am with this videopath for composite video. I measured the video lag against my CRT, using 240p test suite and using my phone at 240p capture. I'm about 1.4 frame lag! And I'm pretty sure that 1 frame part comes from the TV itself, so 0.4 frame lag of the chain. I'll retest with straight RGB to OSSC to the TV and see what the lag is.

This also a great option for people that want to capture from the real hardware too. I'm gonna pick up a $200 HMDI PCIe capture card now.

• Like 1

@turboxray

That's very interesting, there must be some variation in that model of Component-HDMI transcoder as I think we are using the same model but I found the brightness to be slightly too low while the RT passthrough mode worked fine.  How is the audio volume?  I found mine to be quite low, and needed to boost the audio gain in the OSSC to get the volume consistent with SCART sources.

I'd like to hear your scanline settings, always interested in tweaking those!

Right now I'm using custom scanlines (Line 1/5: 100%, Column 1: 50%) with hybrid set to 75% for RGB sources and 87-93% for composite sources, but I go back and forth on that setting.

20 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

@turboxray

That's very interesting, there must be some variation in that model of Component-HDMI transcoder as I think we are using the same model but I found the brightness to be slightly too low while the RT passthrough mode worked fine.  How is the audio volume?  I found mine to be quite low, and needed to boost the audio gain in the OSSC to get the volume consistent with SCART sources.

I'd like to hear your scanline settings, always interested in tweaking those!

Right now I'm using custom scanlines (Line 1/5: 100%, Column 1: 50%) with hybrid set to 75% for RGB sources and 87-93% for composite sources, but I go back and forth on that setting.

I'm still fiddling with the settings, so I'm not gonna post any numbers yet. But I did some inspecting of the videopath. So the 240p pass-thru is working on the retrotink, and the hdmi is creating a 240p component signal. I was able to look at it on my vectorscope and verify that it's 240p. I just don't know why OSSC doesn't like it. It likes the RGB2COMP 240p component signal just fine. Any ideas?

I also found two other things with the retrotink 2x and hdmi converter: There's a 7.5 IRE pedestal on Y (which honestly, I was expecting). I think the retrotink is putting it there, because when I hook the retrotink up to my TV directly from the hdmi output (yay! my TV takes a 240p signal over hdmi), I can see it in the border that's supposed to be black in my test roms - and it's not. The other, which is the real problem, is the Luma level is squashed! It should be close to 100 IRE, but it's like 70 IRE. And OSSC doesn't really have nice controls/settings to fix this. The "gain" stuff only get's me so far. In other words, unless I want to totally crush the upper white range - I'm stuck with poorer dynamic contrast range. I compared to this to RGB in on the OSSC, and it's not just my TV (the dynamic contrast range issue). If all I see is the TV, then it's not soo bad. But when I run my CRT next to it and see the difference in dynamic contrast range... it makes me sad haha. I also know it's not so much the TV as it is the OSSC (not being able to compensate), because I have an incredible contrast range setup for my MisTer with PCE emulation. I might end up building a log-amp circuit that sits between Y input on OSSC and Y output from the HDMI to component adapter.

retrotink1.jpg

sgx1.jpg

Edited by turboxray

The Toasty Frog OSSC case arrived today.  Very nice quality for a 3D print and the OSSC fits in nice and snug with the case snapping together without any force.  You do have to have to take OSSC board out from its original case, of course.  One nice thing is that it has a plastic "tab" that sits right behind the upper edge of the SCART connector, bracing it in place for a much more solid feel.

It's got vents on the top and bottom to keep the OSSC cool, so that's nice too.

One thing I don't like about it, which I guess is unavoidable with an enclosure like this, is that it somewhat limits the angle for receiving infrared signals from the remote.  I have my OSSC set up with the screen facing to the left side (to save space on my shelf) and with the original case I could use the remote from basically anywhere in the room.  With the new case, I have to aim it somewhat carefully to get it to register.  Not a big deal though.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, turboxray said:

I just don't know why OSSC doesn't like it. It likes the RGB2COMP 240p component signal just fine. Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that sometimes it seems like the order I turn on all the devices makes a difference.  Most of the time it's fine, but sometimes the OSSC will report no signal.  If I turn the Retrotink 2x Pro on, wait 5 seconds, turn the HDMI-component transcoder on, wait 5 seconds, and then turn the OSSC on it will always work fine.

As for the luma level, and maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with what you're experiencing, but is it possible that your Retrotink and the OSSC are set for different black levels?  I know the RT Pro and OSSC are both RGB full/high, but I recall reading somewhere that previous Retrotink products were RGB limited/low.

Edited by newtmonkey

Has anyone played the PC Engine game "Tenshi no Uta" using either the OSSC, Framemeister, or Retrotink?  I've found that the screen blanks out when you start or stop moving your character, almost like the resolution is changing and the upscaler loses sync.  It's not a bad rip (ripped directly from my collection), and at first I thought it was a problem with the Upergrafx, but I encountered the same issue with the SSDS3 as well.  I have not tried using my DUO-R with actual disc, though I suspect it will result in the same issue.

If you haven't played Tenshi no Uta, but you do have any of these upscalers, could I ask you to give the game a try and see if the same thing happens for you?  It's apparently one of the better RPGs on the system and would be a shame if it were somehow incompatible with the major upscalers.

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

Has anyone played the PC Engine game "Tenshi no Uta" using either the OSSC, Framemeister, or Retrotink?  I've found that the screen blanks out when you start or stop moving your character, almost like the resolution is changing and the upscaler loses sync.  It's not a bad rip (ripped directly from my collection), and at first I thought it was a problem with the Upergrafx, but I encountered the same issue with the SSDS3 as well.  I have not tried using my DUO-R with actual disc, though I suspect it will result in the same issue.

If you haven't played Tenshi no Uta, but you do have any of these upscalers, could I ask you to give the game a try and see if the same thing happens for you?  It's apparently one of the better RPGs on the system and would be a shame if it were somehow incompatible with the major upscalers.

Uh, sure, I can... obtain it... and test it. What does the OSSC's display say for the Hz thingy when you play the game?

I am... obtaining the game now. I'll be curious to see what happens with your DUO-R. I'll pull out my SuperGrafx and test it using both my Trinitron and the OSSC to see what happens.

Okay, so I tested it and I get the same thing. I didn't see anything weird happening on my Trinitron, so I don't see any reason that this game shouldn't work properly, but it doesn't. I checked the Hz thingy on the OSSC and it said I think 60.24Hz or something like that but then dropped down to something closer to 60. The off-spec-ness of it could be causing this, as I see similar things happen with the Neo Geo, which is also off-spec from the NTSC standard of 59.94Hz. I forget what the Neo Geo's thing is and what the PC Engine's typical Hzness is as well, but I am ignorant and this is just a guess.

Okay, so I tested Dracula X and it also said 60.24Hz and I have played that game many times and never had a problem. No idea what is causing this to happen for just this one game. Maybe it uses a weird resolution or something... I don't know.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Thanks for checking, @Steven Pendleton!

My OSSC doesn't really flip out or anything, it maintains sync the whole time.  I can't remember what the FM did, and of course the Retrotink doesn't have any kind of status display so there's no information to report when using that.

There's very little mention of this issue anywhere.  I found one topic on Reddit with a throwaway post from someone mentioning the same thing, but no one ever replied to it.  I also noticed that the Upergrafx site mentions that the game itself is buggy and needs to be run at native system timing to run correctly.  I wonder what's going on with this game lol.  I might be mistaken, but It does appear to run in a pretty high resolution for a PCE game (it's not particularly good looking, but compare the sprites and tiles to something like Tengai Makyo), so I'm wondering if there's some trickery involved in how it runs i.e. switching to a weird resolution or refresh when the screen is moving.  I dunno, I'm just guessing at this point.

I also tried running it in passthrough mode on the OSSC, but it does the same thing.  Very strange.

Worst case scenario, it apparently works fine over the DVI output of the Upergrafx itself, so I could fall back on that if need be.  Or just play that one game on my PVM.  So there are ways around it, but I'd be interested in finding out what the game is doing to cause this issue!

Edited by newtmonkey

56 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

Thanks for checking, @Steven Pendleton!

My OSSC doesn't really flip out or anything, it maintains sync the whole time.  I can't remember what the FM did, and of course the Retrotink doesn't have any kind of status display so there's no information to report when using that.

There's very little mention of this issue anywhere.  I found one topic on Reddit with a throwaway post from someone mentioning the same thing, but no one ever replied to it.  I also noticed that the Upergrafx site mentions that the game itself is buggy and needs to be run at native system timing to run correctly.  I wonder what's going on with this game lol.  I might be mistaken, but It does appear to run in a pretty high resolution for a PCE game (it's not particularly good looking, but compare the sprites and tiles to something like Tengai Makyo), so I'm wondering if there's some trickery involved in how it runs i.e. switching to a weird resolution or refresh when the screen is moving.  I dunno, I'm just guessing at this point.

I also tried running it in passthrough mode on the OSSC, but it does the same thing.  Very strange.

Worst case scenario, it apparently works fine over the DVI output of the Upergrafx itself, so I could fall back on that if need be.  Or just play that one game on my PVM.  So there are ways around it, but I'd be interested in finding out what the game is doing to cause this issue!

Yeah, I noticed that the game's resolution does seem to be quite high for a PC Engine game, as it didn't match with either my typical SuperGrafx settings or my PC Engine R-Type settings perfectly like everything else does. I noticed that it resyncs when actually walking, but if you stop and then move again, it loses sync, so technically the game is playable if you are willing to put up with that. I'd have to check again, but I'm pretty sure the refresh rate changed from 60.24Hz to 60.01~60.04 (?) Hz or something like that when I was testing it. I'm not sure if I trust the OSSC to give an accurate reading on that, but it's the only thing that I have that can do anything like that. The Neo Geo is off-spec enough to cause similar desync at the beginning of individual rounds in games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, but some games seem to be fine. I'd have to test a few more, but I don't think KOF '98 or Magician Lord or anything else like that ever lost sync.

• Like 1

I'm wondering now if the game switches to a slightly lower resolution or refresh or something weird when the screen is moving, something that would be instantaneous on a CRT but causes havoc with upscalers.  It's "playable" like you say in that it regains sync or whatever once you stop moving, but I certainly wouldn't want to play it like that!  If I get annoyed enough with it, I might post on videogameperfection as the developer of the OSSC posts there.  Maybe it can't be fixed (like that one MD Bugs Bunny game that's incompatible with the OSSC), but I'm now really interested in finding out what the game is actually doing when it scrolls the screen.

1 hour ago, newtmonkey said:

I'm wondering now if the game switches to a slightly lower resolution or refresh or something weird when the screen is moving, something that would be instantaneous on a CRT but causes havoc with upscalers.  It's "playable" like you say in that it regains sync or whatever once you stop moving, but I certainly wouldn't want to play it like that!  If I get annoyed enough with it, I might post on videogameperfection as the developer of the OSSC posts there.  Maybe it can't be fixed (like that one MD Bugs Bunny game that's incompatible with the OSSC), but I'm now really interested in finding out what the game is actually doing when it scrolls the screen.

Chris Covell would be someone that you should ask. If there's anyone that would know about it, it's him.

• Like 1

I will see if I can get some recent screen shots, but I actually installed a (Never released s-video mod from console5) into my JPN TurboDUO a few years back and connected through my Extron 7SC to the OSSC it looks really good! But then it is important to know that my 7SC outputs all the video sources I have plugged into it, as a 640x480p VGA out to the OSSC. So the Extron is doing some scaling and conversion of its own but I sure can't tell most of the time aside from the motion compensation it tries to do that does show up and appear as weird shimmer and tearing like effects when moving sprites move against static parts of the game. But after a few years, I really don't even notice this anymore. 

But yeah, s-video from my TurboDUO looks really good through my AV setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally updated my OSSC from 0.86 to 0.88 today. I had noticed that I was getting some sort of... ringing? or something to that effect where everything seemed to be slightly bleeding 1 pixel over to the right but without any flicker. I don't think it would be noticeable if I sat farther away from the screen, but since I sit at my desk and use my monitor, I notice everything, so it has to be absolutely perfect or it will bother me. I'm not sure why FBX made some profiles specifically for HD Retrovision cables, but I'll see if using those HD Retrovision profiles helps.

Okay, it seems that my sampling phases were off or something, but I've fixed a few of them now. I decided to make profiles for my Mega Jet and Nomad, as well. Mega Jet turned out beautiful and I will probably start using it as my primary MD, especially since I somehow managed to beat Thunder Force IV on it the other day with relative ease and only 6 deaths, so despite its awkward shape, it's definitely usable. Nomad... I'd never bothered to really use it with the OSSC before since that's kind of a pointless thing to do, but it turns out that it actually has pretty bad jailbars and none of the sampling phases give me a desirable result, so I gave up on the Nomad. Now I need to go fix 2 of my Saturn profiles, Neo Geo, and both of my PC Engine profiles. At least fixing the sampling phase doesn't take too long once you know how to do it.

I actually don't like the new menu, as it obscures a lot of the screen when adjusting the sampling phase, so it actually takes longer since I now have to close a few parts of the menu to actually be able to see the damn screen now. How annoying...

On 4/11/2021 at 12:56 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I actually don't like the new menu, as it obscures a lot of the screen when adjusting the sampling phase, so it actually takes longer since I now have to close a few parts of the menu to actually be able to see the damn screen now. How annoying...

While I'm quite interested to know the differences present in the newer firmware releases, I get ticked that my profiles are wiped out each time and I have to got back and load everything back in again. I think I'm on .86 still and hadn't bothered to update it since then.

9 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While I'm quite interested to know the differences present in the newer firmware releases, I get ticked that my profiles are wiped out each time and I have to got back and load everything back in again. I think I'm on .86 still and hadn't bothered to update it since then.

Yeah, that's why I waited so long to update mine. It also does not help that the FBX profiles all have h. backporch settings that do not match with my systems, so even using his profiles requires me to manually go and set everything up. Annoying for Saturn, as I can configure 320 using Thunder Force AC's monitor test tool (they REALLY made it accurate to the arcade by leaving in all of the monitor test tools, bookkeeping features, and the DIP switch menu from the arcade version! Really cool! I love Tecno Soft...), but for 352 games, of which I have several, I have to sit there and guess. I don't have any 704 games that I can remember, so that's no problem for me. At least it doesn't take too long to set everything up again after some practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn + OSSC people, you may find that disabling the analog sync LPF might get you a nice picture. After a year of being dissatisfied with its picture due to pixel bleed, I disabled the analog sync LPF just now for 320 and 352 resolutions, found a new sampling phase, and now I finally have it literally perfect. It looks better on my OSSC than it does on my Trinitron, mainly because I have no idea how to access the service menu to adjust stuff on the Trinitron and fix the damn thing.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It looks better on my OSSC than it does on my Trinitron, mainly because I have no idea how to access the service menu to adjust stuff on the Trinitron and fix the damn thing.

You have to have the remote to do it. Then its just a few button presses and you are in

8 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

You have to have the remote to do it. Then its just a few button presses and you are in

Yeah, it didn't come with one, but I was able to find the instruction manual online and the remote I needed and buy it separately. Everywhere I look, people are saying that I need to press the i+ or Display button... but I don't have those buttons.

Pic_0426_662.thumb.jpg.24ddd0ec32607f23d101a5f16b837098.jpg