IGNORED

any slick ways of keeping track of collection?

I have been collecting Atari stuff for just over a year now. It is time to get serious about keeping track of what games I have and don't have. But, each time I sit down with a print-out of the rarity guide, a pen and paper, I get un-motivated -- I'm just not a hardcopy kind of guy.

Anyone have or know of any "utilities" (that may not be the best word) that can help a collector keep track of their collection?

It doesn't have to be fancy, just something electronic, preferably with a list of games and the different label variations, where I would just check off what I have. I have seen a few of the online trackers, and that is not really something I am interested in. I was thinking more of something that I would keep on my PC.

Am I making any sense? :ponder:

i use a simple system, i go online and find text lists that i can cut and paste to my palm pilots memo. then i have the no frills, no info just A-Z names list of all 7800 carts. i take this list up to my collection and cross off the titles i already have, leaving me with a short but accurate list of the games i need to complete my collection. i have a list like this for nearly every system, it really helps when i'm out game hunting.

I do something similar to what christianscott does, only I have an NEC MobilePro 780 handheld, mini-laptop-style (with a cover that says "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters, no less!), on which I keep Pocket Word files - downconverted from the master files on my desktop machine - with lists for every console or computer I collect for, including columns for "have?" "box?" "docs?". I have a "catalog number" column as well which goes unused most of the time, and I've thought of turning it into "value," but I'm not too sure about venturing into that territory.

The lists are based on a little bit of everything - AA, DP, Andy Krieg and Ward Shrake lists from the 90s, you name it. I've had the lists on my desktop machine for ages now, but having them with me at all times is very cool. Anyone going to CGE will surely see me walking around with this little marvel, and I may have it at OKGE as well. :) It's also my portable writing platform, and writing is part of what I do for a living, so where I go, it goes. It gets excellent battery life too, and has a built-in 56K modem.

I don't keep track of what I don't have.

I just keep an eye on the Marketplace and EBay and then bid/buy what I don't have.

Makes it more fun that way.

I'm not a completist so I don't need a list of stuff to get.

I do the Palm route like so many others. In fact I'm in the process of re-entering everything into QuickSheet on my Clie' SJ33. I spent some time trying to figure out a good way of organizing it and, having given up for want of some Tylenols, game up with this:

1. Create separate spreadsheets for each manufacturer (Sega, Atari, Nintendo, etc.)

2. For each spreadsheet file, create two separate sheets in each for each model (Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, etc.) -- one for hardware, one for software. (Just makes it easier if you don't have to scroll through the hardware to get to the cart list)

3. Tailor each column for the console. For example, for my Atari carts, I have fields for Title, Developer, Year, Cat. No., Label Type, separate fields for completeness (NIB, CIB, C, B, M -- New in Box, Complete in Box, Case/sleeve, Box, Manuals, respectively) and a final column for comments/descriptions. On the other hand I could find no catalog numbers for many of my Genesis carts, so I just omitted the catalog number. There are also no label variations that I'm aware of for Genesis, so I omitted that field, too.

4. For some final funkiness, I coloured each column. No reason other than eye candy.

I was gonna see if I could experiment with Excel and make some spreadsheets and see if it can export HTML in the way I like. If it doesn't look just right, screw it. Either that or I'll use AppleScript or something to generate it.

I have a MySQL database setup on my Linux webserver to keep track of my collection. I use php to display the info. Only problem is that I haven't bothered to put in complete lists of games. So I only know what I have, and rely on pen and paper lists to find what I don't have.

I have a MySQL database setup on my Linux webserver to keep track of my collection. I use php to display the info. Only problem is that I haven't bothered to put in complete lists of games. So I only know what I have, and rely on pen and paper lists to find what I don't have.

Actually, I am gonna do this, but I just haven't gotten around to installing MySQL on my iMac yet. For now I'll just add the games via HTML until then.

I use IGN:

http://users.ign.com/collection/dodint

Sucks for label variations, and I have about 3 games they don't have in their database.

It works for the time being though.

Thanks for pointing this out! It's the one thing that has redeemed IGN in the bigferret household!

I haven't put in bigferret's Atari stuff yet. I'm sure that'll take the better part of forever to do, but it'll be neat to see how many games we have. I'll probably dump all of it into a database when I'm done and try to make it look all purtee and stuff. :)

That is unless any of the talented Mac addicts around here (hint hint) come up with something similar to Cart Commander, or make their own cool game cataloging database. Then I'd just use that... if they were willing to share. :D