IGNORED

Which model Intellivision should I get?

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

Gotta find one first! There's a boxed one on eBay but that's gonna go for a lot. We shall see. 

I hear you on that. There are many systems that I would ultimately "prefer", but I tend to grab what I can if it is working and in great shape....and a good deal of course. Recently I was in the market for an excellent condition Colecovision. I couldn't find a USA model in the condition that I wanted, so I went for a French Canadian model. It has both languages on the console features, but I am fine with it as the condition was extraordinary for a stock unit...and it works perfectly...and it was a good deal with a lot of games. Would I have wanted a USA version in the same condition over it? Sure, but better to get a great shape console than not at all....even if it is a bit different than what you had originally desired. I am more than happy with it. Plays games, looks great and had a better PSU ;)

• Like 2

You can find a loose sears system for $50-60 with some patience. They just arent always up for sale. But depending on your hurry to get 1 they will come around. And yes its good to have more than 1 :) its a great system....i have over 20 i think lol

9 hours ago, stupus said:

You can find a loose sears system for $50-60 with some patience. They just arent always up for sale. But depending on your hurry to get 1 they will come around. And yes its good to have more than 1 :) its a great system....i have over 20 i think lol

Yeah that would be reasonable. Over 20?! Wow!

9 hours ago, stupus said:

Well,that helps to explain why they are hard to find!?

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

So I'm considering purchasing my first-ever Intellivision console but I'm having trouble deciding which model to get. The only one that I've ruled out is the Intellivision II. I came close to pulling the trigger on a boxed INTV System III but it had the version with the flat keypad controllers, and I've heard those keypads should be avoided when possible. I've heard good things about the Sears Super Video Arcade due to the placement and removability of the controllers, plus it looks super retro. They seem kind of hard to track down, though. The below picture is an original boxed Intellivision that is for sale near me and they're asking $100. Was thinking it could be worth it if they came down a little in price. I definitely don't need to get a boxed unit - console plus some games would be fine, too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

117103522_10157461046227828_2198053322379925012_n.jpg

Keep with the original for now... Buy two or three.  Get a few "non tested" as that doesn't mean it won't work...just means the seller is afraid to commit to the condition.  I've bought tons of 2609s real cheap...and I mean $10 cheap based on this.  Plugged them in and they worked fine.

The Sears unit is worth paying for based on two things... 

1. Yellowing/scratches.  If it's not too sun beaten and yellowed, it's good.  You can paint the brown with Testors model paint...flat Rubber is a near identical match.  They case is molded in bone color plastic...but it is spray painted with plastic dye.  So you can clean these pretty good if they are dirty.  To get a perfect one is hard, but you will pay.  I have two Sears units that are 95 out of 100 and took years to find.  You can always use a brown sharpie to recolor the lettering as well. 

2. The Sears unit is NOT the same EXEC chip as the Inty.  So when you start a game, a true Sears unit does not have "Mattel Electronics presents" above the game title.  That's how you know immediately that you have a true Sears unit.  You can definitely swap the EXEC chip from a Sears to a "Mattel" unit, if you have the extra chips.  No issue.  The MoBo is the same..as are all the internals.

Finding one can be costly if you are looking for a clean, near new unit.  Hard to swap controllers because of the coloring issues.  I've seen that before.  The Bone color is a PIA because it is really noticable if you try and interchange the external parts.  Even the gold "playing" on the switches and discs will look different between units.  Some are more gold shaded, some are more silver.  

How do I know all of this... 25 years of collecting, restoring, buying and selling Sears units does that.  Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

True, unless it's a veteran eBay seller of retro video games, in which case "untested" means "doesn't work." Jerks.

I LOVE those people.  I once bought a 2609, with 5 games and a canvas cover for $10.  1 dollar for the unit, 9 for shipping!!  Seller said he had no TV to test.  Got it, cleaned it all up, worked great... 8 out of 10 quality... Sold for $60.

2 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

I LOVE those people.  I once bought a 2609, with 5 games and a canvas cover for $10.  1 dollar for the unit, 9 for shipping!!  Seller said he had no TV to test.  Got it, cleaned it all up, worked great... 8 out of 10 quality... Sold for $60.

Nicely done! Yes I feel like I trust "untested" and "I don't know how to hook it up" much more on Facebook Marketplace and the other selling apps like Mercari and OfferUp and such.

16 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Nicely done! Yes I feel like I trust "untested" and "I don't know how to hook it up" much more on Facebook Marketplace and the other selling apps like Mercari and OfferUp and such.

Facebook marketplace is becoming the new eBay.  No bidding though.  Prices are sensible and sellers are looking to move what they have.  I'm tired of people on eBay thinking they have some kind of gold mine for every little POS they sell.  How can a guy post a classic console system with a beat-up box and some crushed game boxes for 2k like it was the only one on the planet.  Typical eBay "ass for every seat" mentality is killing the hobby.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Update: This afternoon I will be picking up the boxed original model (2609) pictured in the first post on this thread. I talked them down to $80. I'm excited, but also a little annoyed at myself because I missed out on a gorgeous boxed Sears Super Video Arcade (untested) on eBay that sold a half hour ago for $31 (albeit with $55 shipping). I was all queued up to bid $58 at the last second but was on my computer instead of the app on my phone and totally forgot that there's an extra bid confirmation screen on the website. Oh well. Still pumped for the boxed OG! Seemed more reasonable at $80 all-in, especially since that Sears variant of Skiing seems to be worth a decent amount.

• Like 5

On 8/20/2020 at 10:43 PM, eightbit said:

I think you should get the one that you see for $100...and do it NOW. Forget the Intellivision II in my personal opinion. Removable joysticks and low profile yes, but not worth the fact that it does not have 100% compatibility (some games actually say "Not for Intellivision II" on the boxes...Donkey Kong comes to mind) and it does not work with the voice module.

That console is in really great shape. A lot of these have dents and heavy scratches in the metal, discs ripped off..etc. Just get it!

The II does work with the intellivoice but it is not the right color.

• Like 2

I also wound up scoring a "New Open Box" Sears Super Video Arcade for what I felt was a fair value ($90 including shipping and taxes). Seller claims it's a "new open box" and that it's "new never used in original packaging and box." It is scheduled to arrive later this afternoon and I hope it is as described, but I'm skeptical. Did Sears/Mattel really pack this console bundle in bubble wrap? Seems unlikely, though the tape does look old...

6f3a32f2227145249c4daf00790d8ac1.jpg

20d1d71b5aef4d88ad466a98918373ec.jpg

6e6d71713c3d46d6a4024aa51b35f211.jpg

c078db299a75440e8a3e60358496cda1.jpg

65d33a61586a4d2faaec14a65cc55289.jpg

35bb0479c01743078891dc7fd578a5cc.jpg

• Like 4

I don't believe they would have shipped originally in bubble wrap like that no. I'm sure they used Styrofoam inserts like most other things back then. As for the tape looking old, they might have used kapton tape as that is yellow or amber in color anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't believe they would have shipped originally in bubble wrap like that no. I'm sure they used Styrofoam inserts like most other things back then. As for the tape looking old, they might have used kapton tape as that is yellow or amber in color anyway.

Yeah that's what I figured. Ah yes good point on kapton tape. I don't really care that it's missing the original styrofoam and quite possibly used (and misrepresented by the seller), so long as it's in good cosmetic shape and works. Fingers crossed!

11 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah that's what I figured. Ah yes good point on kapton tape. I don't really care that it's missing the original styrofoam and quite possibly used (and misrepresented by the seller), so long as it's in good cosmetic shape and works. Fingers crossed!

Totally and if it does work and is in good shape, then I say you got a good deal on it!

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 6:24 PM, Swami said:

The Sylvania ones are best looking to me, Sears ones have removable controllers and Super Pros were advertised as more rugged but I think a lot were made from spare Intellivision I parts. 

I do like the look of the Slyvania/GTE model and the one I have appears to be older than any other Intellivision I've seen or owned so I do wonder when exactly those models were released. But on pure looks, I have to go with the Tandyvision being my favorite looking one.

I have wondered how sears are packed since the box is a unique size from all the others.

I would have not thought bubblewrap though. But my boxed one is missing packing so im not sure. But i would guess either styrofoam or a cardboard tray like the other models had.

Still a great score regardless!

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

The gte sylvania intellivisions are probably like the mattel intellivisions made in usa.  Made in 1980, I believe.

If anyone has a boxed sears intellivision with styrofoam, let us know.

Mine is pretty old as it actually has older tantlum caps on it vs electrolytic and appears to be factory done that way. So yeah...first I've seen like it.