IGNORED

Popeye 7800: Mini-game

darryl1970

I'm not really a pokey guru, but the 7800basic code looks formatted correctly.

Are we sure about the PSKCTL=3? Looking at the register breakdown, 3 would be keyb_debounce+enable_keyb_scan, which doesn't seem right.

PSKCTL=8 (bit 3) would be serial-two tone mode, though I'm not sure if that's what you guys are after or not.

9 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Are we sure about the PSKCTL=3? Looking at the register breakdown, 3 would be keyboard debounce+enable_kb_scan. PSKCTL=8 (bit 3) would be serial-two tone mode. Not sure if that's your goal or not.

I tried converting the regular "pokey.bas" demo to manually setting the PAUDF0, etc. I do not get any sound with that either. :(

I also tried $08 without any change. I am trying to combine channels 3 & 4.

Is it possible that the manual Pokey registers are not mapped correctly, or could the "psound" support be overwriting any manual entries. (I removed all of the psound calls).

Edited by darryl1970

25 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Are we sure about the PSKCTL=3? Looking at the register breakdown, 3 would be keyb_debounce+enable_keyb_scan, which doesn't seem right.

PSKCTL=8 (bit 3) would be serial-two tone mode, though I'm not sure if that's what you guys are after or not.

$03 is the correct default.  $8B is for two-tone mode.

18 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

I tried converting the regular "pokey.bas" demo to manually setting the PAUDF0, etc. I do not get any sound with that either. :(

I also tried $08 without any change. I am trying to combine channels 3 & 4.

Is it possible that the manual Pokey registers are not mapped correctly, or could the "psound" support be overwriting any manual entries. (I removed all of the psound calls).

Very possible.  POKEY may either be at $4000 or $450 ... most homebrew games use $450

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Should there not be variables set for these addresses?

i.e. pokeyaddr=$450, audctl=pokeyaddr+$08, skctl=pokeyaddr+$0F, etc.

No.

7800basic uses dynamic pokey locations, so one cart can support multiple locations. To do that, "pokeybase" is the indirect pointer to the pokey, and the definitions for PSKCTL and friends are just offsets for the particular register from the base, which get loaded into the y register.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

It looks like 7800basic isn't treating the pokey constants as... constants. Try adding this to top of your game...

const PAUDF0   = PAUDF0
 const PAUDC0   = PAUDC0
 const PAUDF1   = PAUDF1
 const PAUDC1   = PAUDC1
 const PAUDF2   = PAUDF2
 const PAUDC2   = PAUDC2
 const PAUDF3   = PAUDF3
 const PAUDC3   = PAUDC3
 const PAUDCTL  = PAUDCTL
 const PRANDOM  = PRANDOM
 const PSKCTL   = PSKCTL

I'll squash it for the next release.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Had a thought.  Post up the .asm file generated from your compile.  I'd like to look it over.

Thank you. I got it to play using the constants. Is the assembler that text file that is generated. I can't seem to find an asm file?

Might need some suggestions later on. :)

8 minutes ago, RevEng said:

It looks like 7800basic isn't treating the constants as... constants. Try adding this to top of your game...

const PAUDF0   = PAUDF0
 const PAUDC0   = PAUDC0
 const PAUDF1   = PAUDF1
 const PAUDC1   = PAUDC1
 const PAUDF2   = PAUDF2
 const PAUDC2   = PAUDC2
 const PAUDF3   = PAUDF3
 const PAUDC3   = PAUDC3
 const PAUDCTL  = PAUDCTL
 const PRANDOM  = PRANDOM
 const PSKCTL   = PSKCTL

I'll squash it for the next release.

This was the key. It is playing. Just in time. I was walking the dog when all of the replies came through. Just came in to shut down and head to bed. I can rest better now!

Thanks @RevEng and @Synthpopalooza for all of the help!

It's a little rough, but I can worry about that now that it's working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions on how I can play a Pokey cart bigger than 32K? My sacrificed Ballblazer can't hand this 48k game.

If I have to use bank switching, I might need some advice too. I played with it in bAtari Basic, but have a feeling that this might be more complicated.

Off to bed. Thanks again! Night.

PopeyeMiniGame_beta3-2_EarlyPokey.a78

• Like 1

7800basic generates a .asm file which is the .bas file rendered in assembly.  Don't need it now, RevEng sorted it.  :)

One suggestion:  Make sure your volume does not decrement below 0, or you will get popping, especially in 16-bit or any other settings requiring 2 channels with a $00 setting on one of them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

7800basic generates a .asm file which is the .bas file rendered in assembly.  Don't need it now, RevEng sorted it.  :)

One suggestion:  Make sure your volume does not decrement below 0, or you will get popping, especially in 16-bit or any other settings requiring 2 channels with a $00 setting on one of them.

Thanks. I made sure to handle that. I can see where that would be an issue.

I added the heart distress tune. I need to readjust the character frame rates, better mute Pokey during different times, etc. Here's a quick peek.

• Like 4