IGNORED

DPC+ platformer hack

Lillapojkenpåön

I saw in the latest zph stream that someone was making a multisprite kernel hack with scrolling, well I made a dpc+ hack a a while ago, that allows horisontal scrolling, I followed sprybugs way of doing it, I would have no idea where to start without that, it's really easy to use and allows different pf resolution,  I can make a short tutorial video if anyones interested?

Thanks to Darrell Spice Jr. for allways going out of his way to help!!

Here's a little rough demo I made to try it out, would be nice to know if it works on real hardware?

You don't have to this metroid style scrolling if you don't want, I just wasn't happy with anything below one column per frame so I did this, Thomas Jentzsch style.

LATEST

Edited by Lillapojkenpåön
  • Like 8

Thanks for sharing @Lillapojkenpåön the smooth scrolling effect looks great. Id love to see if this is an viable option for the 7800 game i am currently working on. Adds polish rather then abrupt screen transitions that can leave the player needing to adjust their bearings when suddenly appearing on the next screen ?

wow WOW WOW! What an incredible platformer @Lillapojkenpåön, such smooth and natural feeling jumping and movement. Great first level! The fact that the enemies transition between screens is also awesome, reminds me of the enemies in the amazing puzzle shooter Caverns.

PLEASE continue making this game, more levels please!

Also, it plays perfectly on real hardware, below is a video of me beating the first level (both ways) on my RGB Light-Sixer:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We'll be checking out @Lillapojkenpåön's incredible Demo Platformer on tomorrow's (Fri Sep 04) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

wow WOW WOW! What an incredible platformer @Lillapojkenpåön, such smooth and natural feeling jumping and movement. Great first level! The fact that the enemies transition between screens is also awesome, reminds me of the enemies in the amazing puzzle shooter Caverns.

Also, it plays perfectly on real hardware, below is a video of me beating the first level (both ways) on my RGB Light-Sixer:

:o:o:o This looks GREAT! Downloading as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:52 PM, SpiceWare said:

I was wondering how your project was progressing, that turned out really well!

Thanks! It wouldn't have existed at all without your help my friend.

15 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thank you! 

I don't know what direction to take it tho?

I tried adding an animated human sprite with different animations for jumping and ducking and stuff but it became way to complicated, changing hitboxes, and not getting stuck when the sprite changed size, and moving on and off the screen smoothly, so the player sprite has to be really simple.

I tried making moving platforms out of the missiles but you can't get them to move on and off the screen smoothly, unless they are only four pixels wide and move four or two pixels every time, maybe I can try that again..

And the biggest thing I wanted to do was having all of the enemies x positions in zero page variables, and if it was in the visible window copy it and draw it with an unused virtual sprite, that way you could have 4 enemies on one screen, 5 one the next, 4, 5, 4... so that when you scroll between them there's never more than 9 visible, but alot more enemies than that in each level, I'm sure that's possible but something prevented me from doing it?

So this game attempt was just one big fail/time waste reminder that I wanted to be alot more, and had given up on trying to make it into an actual game, but if you say it's good I'll try to make it a little better. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

I tried adding an animated human sprite with different animations for jumping and ducking and stuff but it became way to complicated, changing hitboxes, and not getting stuck when the sprite changed size, and moving on and off the screen smoothly, so the player sprite has to be really simple.

What's the dimensions of the hero/enemies ?

30 minutes ago, TIX said:

you can keep the rectangular shape (mostly) but animate the hell out of it  ?

rough example below:

test.gif.7084a907b11b41667d2f2c303b5331a5.gif  

test-sheet.png.575fa9d967f23ea017ee6b474372d579.png

That's really cool, but it became to complicated for several reasons not just hitboxes, I would need seven or fourteen variations of all those frames for going on and off screen, unless masking player0 can be added to the arm code, also with the previous attempt I really tried to keep it simple but it escalated real quick

for example if your going right you set it to that walking sprite, but now if youre also jumping you overwrite that and start jump animation, but not if there's roof above you, well yes actually but not if it's emediately above you, well actually yes that to since that will happen if you jump up and hit your head, those two scenarios will look exactly the same but one requires that you don't begin jump animation and one that you end it and start fall animation,

you would also have to have some mix of an animation frame counter and then holding the last fall frame while falling, and last jump frame while still moving up, that's just the start, you have to make sure while this is happening pressing left or right in the air doesn't change to the going left and right sprites, and the combinations and possibilities just continues on and on and on.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...