IGNORED

Why?

coolcat_loves_retrogames

14 hours ago, coolcat_loves_retrogames said:

why is it when I buy a CRT it just dies in weeks, months? it doesn't even last a year! so how can a find a CRT that will at least last a year or 2 years?

Could be the reason they are at the thrift store, garage sale, bargain bin, etc, they are well past the prime of their life.

Keep hunting

• Like 1

Alas, with used gear of any sort, it is impossible to know how it has been used or abused by previous owner(s). 

In about 1976, my Mother won a 24"(?) RCA TV in some contest. It was still going strong when we sold the house in 2001. (My Parents were downsizing and the new owners were "upsizing", so we made a side-deal for the excess furniture, including that TV.)

We had another RCA TV that lasted from about the very early-1980s through the mid-1990s with heavy, daily use. The front panel buttons became rather stiff, but it worked until the CRT failed spectacularly. 

I am currently using a Toshiba from 2003 that is slowly starting to fail (e.g. the remote control sensor no longer works, the top few inches of the screen display these odd horizontal lines). 

While it is expensive to keep purchasing failing hardware, perhaps you can look for different brands.

I wonder how on-spec your house power is.

Edit: I'm thinking surge/spike caused by other devices (e.g., air conditioner). Next CRT you get, I'd run it off a protective power board that filters the power for just such things.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 2

It may just be bad luck unfortunately.

Most of my CRTs are in good condition, my main Trinitron is doing great, although it's starting to get some "screen warping" (definitely wrong term), but it's manageable. My most recent CRT (1987 Quasar) is doing great. The remote works perfectly, the picture is crisp, the audio, despite being mono is crystal clear, it's probably my best TV so far.

Where are you getting them? Are you buying them at thrift stores/eBay, or are you getting them from people who are giving them away? 

If it's the former, test it or have the seller test it for you. If the picture looks bad or has defects or the seller refuses to test it, then it will most likely die on you in the near future. If it's the latter, I'd wouldn't risk it. Nothing sucks more than getting something that heavy home and then realizing that it doesn't work. 

But remember, at the end of the day it's still luck based on these things. You don't know how much use the TV had or what environment it was in.

Edited by Magmavision2000

Do these dying CRTs have a common failure mode? i.e. do the TVs just not turn on, or does the display become degraded in some kind of way?

If it's not turning on, I'd suspect (as Andrew is suggesting) that your power is hard on the very-old power-supply filter caps. The analog display portions of the CRT circuitry should be pretty robust, so I wouldn't expect power problems to manifest there. (possible, just less likely) If the failures are each different, then it may just be bad luck.

As others have said, you are either very unlucky or there is some power problem in your house. Brand type shouldn't have much to do with this since you will never know how much particular set was actually used.

I went through +25 sets over last few years and only one has given up the ghost on me (Trinitron, and it happened while I was messing with some wild resolutions from RPi). Got 5 atm which are all working fine. Keep trying, and also use common sense when looking - a set from a tidy granny's bedroom will probably be in a better nick than one shown in a dirty garrage, with pile of stuff on top of it.

22 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

It may just be bad luck unfortunately.

Most of my CRTs are in good condition, my main Trinitron is doing great, although it's starting to get some "screen warping" (definitely wrong term), but it's manageable. My most recent CRT (1987 Quasar) is doing great. The remote works perfectly, the picture is crisp, the audio, despite being mono is crystal clear, it's probably my best TV so far.

Where are you getting them? Are you buying them at thrift stores/eBay, or are you getting them from people who are giving them away? 

If it's the former, test it or have the seller test it for you. If the picture looks bad or has defects or the seller refuses to test it, then it will most likely die on you in the near future. If it's the latter, I'd wouldn't risk it. Nothing sucks more than getting something that heavy home and then realizing that it doesn't work. 

But remember, at the end of the day it's still luck based on these things. You don't know how much use the TV had or what environment it was in.

it's kinda like craigslist 

On 9/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, youxia said:

As others have said, you are either very unlucky or there is some power problem in your house. Brand type shouldn't have much to do with this since you will never know how much particular set was actually used.

I went through +25 sets over last few years and only one has given up the ghost on me (Trinitron, and it happened while I was messing with some wild resolutions from RPi). Got 5 atm which are all working fine. Keep trying, and also use common sense when looking - a set from a tidy granny's bedroom will probably be in a better nick than one shown in a dirty garrage, with pile of stuff on top of it.

1448684609_ScreenShot2020-09-17at7_29_25PM.thumb.png.ff0de495b4b186344c82285ee373dfac.png does this look like it's treated properly?