IGNORED

Yar's Revenge port for Atari 800

mike.2000

On 10/27/2020 at 10:44 PM, sanny said:

I don't know how correctness in language and grammar is related to this, but you're definitely right with your sentence above. Sadly, "we" just don't care much about problems of the 3rd world people ?
Most of us, that is.

It was related to what I would say in German “Haben wir nicht gerade andere Probleme?“ - do we not have more important issues to solve at the moment (pandemic, politics, terror, 3rd world problems, climate change, private issues etc etc etc) than picking on someone on AA forum in the programming forum regarding his English spelling? That was my case... everybody got the meaning of his post .... ;) now try to speak over the phone with foreign people speaking in this video conference times... ;) now that’s another level of “English” sometimes...

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2020 at 7:45 AM, leech said:

I need to try out Yars' Strike.  It has been 30-35 yearz since I played Yars' Revenge.

You would love it, BTW @playsoft came up with our brilliant 5200 port for Yar's Strike as well, after I was lobbying hard for over 4 years to see a 5200 port of Yars' Revenge and since last year when I first discovered @Thelen's original port of Yar's Strike. 

I wish I somehow knew about programming enough to convert 5200 (.bin or .rom) ports to 8-bit (.xex) and vice versa, (8-bit .xex files-to-5200 .bin files) to do it but here is Playsoft's 5200 version with all the bugs ironed out from both of Thelen's versions for someone to try to perhaps port back to the 8-bit. Believe me it's the best version ever and Thelen would be very proud of it.

Yar's Strike - 5200 Version.bin

Anybody have any screen shots or YouTube footage of this new port of Yars' Revenge for the 800???

I already know what Yar's Strike looks like as I have it, I already downloaded this new A8 port and as soon as I pay the rest of my bills and get the Ultimate Cart I'll be able to try it out sometime.

Just now, Philsan said:

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking about buying an Ultimate cart and not one of the newer multicarts?

I know there are other multicarts but the AVGCart is not available domestically and requires an external line for some games plus the Ultimate Cart was the first one I ever ram into out of curiosity for the 8-bit, plus I don't anything TOO special, she just has to operate .xex files as my entire library of ROMs from the Homesoft Collection consists of them, besides if I need any technical help or a need to upgrade I can always do that and get one of the others later on, she just has to play games that's all, nothing special. I'm new to the 8-bit scene as I was always a 5200 guy and only a 5200 guy, it's just that I found out not all of the titles can be converted to Big Sexy (our affectionate nickname for the 5200), including Food Fight, and WarGames, @playsoft and @Wrathchild already tried converting those but alas the 5200 only has 16K RAM compared to the NOS 65XE (64K RAM) I ordered from myatari on eBay back on Friday.

36 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I know there are other multicarts but the AVGCart is not available domestically and requires an external line for some games plus the Ultimate Cart was the first one I ever ram into out of curiosity for the 8-bit, plus I don't anything TOO special, she just has to operate .xex files as my entire library of ROMs from the Homesoft Collection consists of them, besides if I need any technical help or a need to upgrade I can always do that and get one of the others later on, she just has to play games that's all, nothing special. I'm new to the 8-bit scene as I was always a 5200 guy and only a 5200 guy, it's just that I found out not all of the titles can be converted to Big Sexy (our affectionate nickname for the 5200), including Food Fight, and WarGames, @playsoft and @Wrathchild already tried converting those but alas the 5200 only has 16K RAM compared to the NOS 65XE (64K RAM) I ordered from myatari on eBay back on Friday.

AVGCart doesn't need an external line, as-is it loads all files that Ultimate Cart loads.

Furthermore it loads some ATR floppy disks images (it has a swap disk button) and can save to ATR.

Do you know that some games are available in ATR format only? Homesoft has a folder with ATR only games (click on "Download all" on the right).

SIO cable is optional, you can add it eventually if you want full ATR compatibility.

It costs half the price and has some other features, like a good search function.

Another good new multicart is Side3; among other things, like AVGCart it has a limited ATR compatibility (full ATR compatibility together with Ultimate 1MB expansion board) and a good search function.

Did you read Topic for newbies first post?

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking about buying an Ultimate cart and not one of the newer multicarts?

....also here is the YouTube tutorial video that sold me onto both the Ultimate Cart and also an XE computer (the operator is using a 130XE, I got a 65XE, similar just half the RAM) to run it on. They're both easy to operate and not much BS.

On 10/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, drac030 said:

I must say that I always have sort of wondered, how the native English speakers tolerate all kinds of less or more gross solecisms and barbarisms the foreigners must perpetrate on daily basis while speaking or writing English. Now I know - they sometimes explode :D

I can usually tell it's a non-native speaker, and I have more patience for them than I do for native speakers who should know better!  ?

On 10/28/2020 at 1:46 PM, leech said:

Yeah, English language is difficult anyhow, too many oddities in it.  Most other languages also structure their sentences in a nice clean manner, like putting nouns first, then adjectives.  In English you'd say 'old man' in many other languages you'd state 'man that is old.'  Certain amount of beauty to it in that regard.  While I'm not entirely fluent in anything except the English language, I do understand the order of others like French and Spanish.  Though I slept through my Spanish classes

I noticed in Spanish they will often bring in English words, keep the spelling, but pronounce them according to the rules of the Spanish Language,  like 'television'.   In English, they will import the spelling AND keep the foreign pronunciation, especially for French Words.

When I was young, I remember reading aloud something with the word 'hors d'oeuvres' and pronouncing it like "whore's divorce" because I didn't yet know better, and getting funny looks.    I can't be the only one ?

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I can usually tell it's a non-native speaker, and I have more patience for them than I do for native speakers who should know better!  ?

I noticed in Spanish they will often bring in English words, keep the spelling, but pronounce them according to the rules of the Spanish Language,  like 'television'.   In English, they will import the spelling AND keep the foreign pronunciation, especially for French Words.

When I was young, I remember reading aloud something with the word 'hors d'oeuvres' and pronouncing it like "whore's divorce" because I didn't yet know better, and getting funny looks.    I can't be the only one ?

Ha, I am going to pronounce them Whore's Divorce from now on.

• Haha 1