IGNORED

PAL 7800, bug with all multi screen lists

marauder666

Selecting item from first page is fine, but it doesnt scroll down to the second page.

On a text entry screen it automatically enters "M" and returns to the top, on a ROM list, it starts a ROM.

Never goes to the next page.

Firmware 0.15,  all working fine on the 2600.

You're welcome to ask me to do some specific testing.

Edited by marauder666
  • Confused 1

Very strange behavior on your 7800. There are only a few 7800 beta user, but none of them has report such an issue with his device.

@Andrew Davie is reworking the whole menu code of the PlusCart currently. Maybe we wait and see, how the next version behaves on your device.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

@Al_Nafuur can we get a current dev version to @marauder666 to test?

The difference being the new 13-line menu, although to be honest not much has changed in the actual internals.

Except for the text-entry, of course --- I'd really like to see if that still locks up.

@marauder666 I have added your PlusCart to the draft release group. There will be an firmware update option (Version v0.15.6) when you start your PlusCart the next time.

btw. do you switch the "TV Mode" in the PlusCart "Setup" menu when you switch between a PAL and a NTSC device?

does the issue also occure with the PlusCart in NTSC mode on a PAL device (and vice versa)?

39 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

TV mode is set to PAL, I'll try setting to NTSC on the PAL console and see what happens later, and report back.

Do you want me to update the firmware before I do the tests?

best would be before and after..

A few questions. With the latest dev you have....

1) when you view a large text file (put one in your root directory if needed to test)...

a) does scrolling down when on the last line take you to the next page?

b) does pressing right take you to the next page, and left to the previous page?

2) Does the version you are testing have the new keyboard?  (switchable between upper/lower/symbols)

3) Do you still get auto-entry of 'M'? on keyboard

Text file scrolling, and next page is the same.  Shows the plusnet logo for a second, then back to the menu.

Keyboard is the new one, its excellent.

no auto entry of "M", but cant scroll down to properly test as there's not enough characters listed to go that far on any keyboard row.

@Al_Nafuur I'm trying to think this through.

1) The menu code is running on the '2600, and a "next page" is triggered. That's all working fine.

2) The PlusCart detects notification of "next page", and switches on the "spinner".  We know the spinner is active, as noted above. Probably just 1 frame. But the point being, the PlusCart is now building the next '2600 menu-ROM.

3) '2600 spinner stops (almost immediately). How can it stop?  When the PlusCart has finished the ROM-build and now new menu should be active.

4) we don't see the new menu item at all -- in fact we get... an immediate selection.

So, I don't have an older version easily at hand, but my guess would be that in all cases, the item that is selected is actually the very first item on the "next page" had it been displayed correctly.  In other words, is "M" the very first entry of the 2nd page of keyboard in previous roms?   If so, that would be a reasonable diagnosis...

So, we should be looking for something on the '7800 side... to do with joystick press.

Is the '7800 joystick buffered somehow, differently to the '2600, I wonder.

"12.2 Latched Input Ports (INPT4, INPT5) These two ports have latches that are both enabled by writing a "1" or disabled by writing a "0" to D6 of VBLANK. When disabled the microprocessor reads the logic level of the port directly. When enabled, the latch is set for logic one and remains that way until its' port goes LO. When the port goes LO the latch goes LO and remains that way regardless of what the port does. The trigger buttons of the joystick controllers connect to these ports."

12 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

OK, TY. Any idea which, then?  Trying to find some cause/explanation.

Its consistent, in my roms, "A-G" folder always runs Buck rogers, "H-R" midnight magic, "S-Z", Springer.

Public roms/Classic roms/pal/by alphabet/A-G/ runs breakout.  H-R megalomania, and S-Z spider fighter.

Doesnt matter if I press down, or right to go to next page. Same rom runs.

Attached folder from my roms, I'm using to test with.

1 PAL.zip

7 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

Its consistent, in my roms, "A-G" folder always runs Buck rogers, "H-R" midnight magic, "S-Z", Springer.

So, in the above cases *always* the 47th entry (alphabetically).

Interesting.

7 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

Public roms/Classic roms/pal/by alphabet/A-G/ runs breakout.  H-R megalomania, and S-Z spider fighter.

And again, ALL of these are entry #47

51 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

So, in the above cases *always* the 47th entry (alphabetically).

Interesting.

And again, ALL of these are entry #47

@marauder666 what happens on folders/pages with less than 47 entries, but more than one page?

e.g. "Public ROMs/PlusROMs/High Score Club" with 27 entries?

Edited by Al_Nafuur

3 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

@Al_Nafuur it runs Mario Bros!!!  from somewhere

Mario Bros!!! is not in the High Score Club folder ?

Also I can see all the other requests for megalomania, spider fighter, midnight magic and Springer in the logs, but for the High Score Club I can only see the request for the folder..

I renamed Mario bros to xmario bros in my offline roms, and it now runs klax.  which is the 47th one in the folder.

Renamed back and it runs Mario bros, which is the 48th entry.

Repeating going to next page in the high score club folder is inconsistent, sometimes klax, sometimes Mario.  47 or 48th items.

Selecting from my offline roms, its runs klax.

After erasing the offline roms, I went to next page in high score club folder, and it crashed the 7800.  Black screen with scrolling diagonal stripes.

I powered it off, and tried again, and get a PlusCart screen with only the .. entry, and not showing the page number. .. goes back to the high score club folder.

Edited by marauder666

@Andrew Davie maybe we need for the firmware emulation the more robust address test too. In the UnoCart the firmware ROM is almost a 4K Standard without bankswitching. With the new font we have extended that to 32K with bankswitching.

so we should try and change:
https://gitlab.com/firmaplus/atari-2600-pluscart/-/blob/dev/source/STM32firmware/PlusCart/Src/cartridge_firmware.c#L681

to the routine mentioned here:

8 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

@Andrew Davie maybe we need for the firmware emulation the more robust address test too. In the UnoCart the firmware ROM is almost a 4K Standard without bankswitching. With the new font we have extended that to 32K with bankswitching.

so we should try and change:
https://gitlab.com/firmaplus/atari-2600-pluscart/-/blob/dev/source/STM32firmware/PlusCart/Src/cartridge_firmware.c#L681

Were I implementing this myself, I would instead have a minimum time, something like....

timestart = now
while ((addr = ADDR_IN) != addr_prev && (now-timestart) < MINTIME)
			addr_prev = addr;

And that way you could vary the settling time given for an address change...  thoughts?