IGNORED

PlusCart ID should be static

Andrew Davie

If you disconnect your cartridge, and then reconnect it, you are allocated a completely new ID for the cart.

I think that the ID should be immutable, once generated.  Use the firmware identity to retrieve any previous ID and use that, if it exists.

It's annoying to have to keep re-labelling my cartridges when the ID keeps changing, and makes no sense.

For example, if we wanted to setup a "PlusCart registry" so people could put in their ID... well, that's going to be inaccurate sometime in the future, as various users disconnect/reconnect.  If the ID was generated once-only for each cartridge, then lists such as this would work.

• Confused 1

grafik.thumb.png.c7d678e6049cab9bbb671dc038356ab7.png

Do you mean these IDs?

It is the autoincrement value of the database and not generated in someway.

I think i will hide this column, because it is useless to the user and obviously only causes confusion

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Fixed ?

grafik.thumb.png.5746f16b8f2c8d795962b99246d01ace.png

Now the "Toggle Status" and "Remove" text can be clicked too, and the confirmation status is displayed in red or green

Why not make the Yes/No clickable too?  How about a checkbox there?  [✓]

I find the ->Toggle Status awkward and confusing.

Hiding the autoincrement value is fine, but it was actually nice to have an ID which was "human-readable".

I don't particularly want to label my carts with the "secret" embedded number, but I do want to be able to know which is which, when looking at the plusstore listing. That was what I was using the ID for - to allow me to match which cart I was adding/enabling/removing.

Now I have no idea.  I think it needs a unique and immutable ID that is human readable. Even if it's just generated from the serial # and only a few digits long.  Something.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Hiding the autoincrement value is fine, but it was actually nice to have an ID which was "human-readable".

I don't particularly want to label my carts with the "secret" embedded number, but I do want to be able to know which is which, when looking at the plusstore listing. That was what I was using the ID for - to allow me to match which cart I was adding/enabling/removing.

Now I have no idea.  I think it needs a unique and immutable ID that is human readable. Even if it's just generated from the serial # and only a few digits long.  Something.

Yes this list is not very suitable for PlusStore accounts (user) with more than 2 or 3 PlusCarts..

Maybe we should add a new field where the user can input a own text to identify this cart, but this textfield will be deleted when the PlusCart is removed/disconnected from the PlusStore account (like the autoincrement and all other fields too).

3 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Yes this list is not very suitable for PlusStore accounts (user) with more than 2 or 3 PlusCarts..

Maybe we should add a new field where the user can input a own text to identify this cart, but this textfield will be deleted when the PlusCart is removed/disconnected from the PlusStore account (like the autoincrement and all other fields too).

I think a user should be allowed to remove/add a cart to the account, and keep the ID.

If the user wants to sell the cart, there's no reason (I think) why that ID can't also go to the new user.

It's just a human-readable identification - not used for security in any way.

A simple sequential numbering from the database using autoincrement, with the id tied to serial number.

When a cart is connected to the store, first lookup the serial number to get the ID.

If it doesn't exist, autoincrement ID, allocate it to the serial number of the cart.

So you'd have a table of (unique PK) ID -> serial number

• Thanks 1