IGNORED

My newest acquisition - The Atari 65XE - DEADSTOCK from Atari Mexico!!! US-COMPATIBLE!!!

BIGHMW

4 hours ago, mytek said:

BEST and B&C deal in NOS Atari equipment sourced from the same Atari warehouses back in the day. Unless I'm mistaken, they rented trucks together to go pick up pallet loads of stuff for pennies on the dollar, and some of that was also dropped off at Bob Woolley's house as well. BEST later went on to buy stock from other places and countries where Atari had distribution centers. So nothing you buy is 'used' from either company - it's all NOS, or in some cases custom manufactured for BEST (keyboard mylars, joystick rebuild kits, cables, and new custom joysticks).

I just ordered a bunch of chips from BEST via PayPal 2 weeks ago, so unless PayPal payments were very recently cancelled, that is still an option for buying from BEST. I think Google Pay has also been added as another way to buy stuff.

BEST sold reconditioned (SOLD OUT) 600XL, 800XL and 1200XL units. I would consider those used or are they defect units from Atari during manufacturing that he reconditioned?

2 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

BEST sold reconditioned (SOLD OUT) 600XL, 800XL and 1200XL units. I would consider those used or are they defect units from Atari during manufacturing that he reconditioned?

You'd have to ask Brad about that to know for sure, although I suspect that they were customer returns or perhaps non-completed units that came on the pallets.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, BIGHMW said:

I thought I was going to have to settle for used from Best Electronics until I searched on eBay for one as Best no longer takes PayPal

10 hours ago, mytek said:

I just ordered a bunch of chips from BEST via PayPal 2 weeks ago, so unless PayPal payments were very recently cancelled, that is still an option for buying from BEST.

I just checked the Best Electronics website and it still lists PayPal as accepted, but the minimum order is $50. The minimum order for G Pay is $35 and only $20 for credit cards, Western Union Bidpay is also listed but not the minimum order amount.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BillC said:

I just checked the Best Electronics website and it still lists PayPal as accepted, but the minimum order is $50. The minimum order for G Pay is $35 and only $20 for credit cards, Western Union Bidpay is also listed but not the minimum order amount.

I plan to go there as I am looking for getting 2 modded CX24 7800 joysticks and also one more modded CX52 5200 stick so I can have twin-stick action on games like Space Dungeon and Robotron.

Just to add my two cents, I've purchased a lot of stuff from Bruce, first through B&C, and lately on eBay, and never had an issue. He does take his sweet time getting the orders out these days, but I figured he's not getting any younger and it's just par for the course. 

Nice looking machine. Keep that keyboard out of the sun. :D

Hold down <OPTION> while turning the machine on, and you'll get the "Self Test" screen.

You can test out the keyboard keys (manually when it's not run using "All Tests"), sound voices, and RAM.

You can also get to the Self Test by typing "BYE" (then hitting the <Return> key) from the READY prompt in BASIC, or typing "DOS" (then hitting the <Return> key) from the READY Prompt in BASIC (if you haven't loaded a DOS from a disk drive).

1052058782_selftext.thumb.png.135c748ee1cfe4dc645371c5f60438b9.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrFish said:

You can also get to the Self Test by typing "BYE" (then hitting the <Return> key) from the READY prompt in BASIC, or typing "DOS" (then hitting the <Return> key) from the READY Prompt in BASIC (if you haven't loaded a DOS from a disk drive).

I should point out that by entering the Self Test from BASIC the Memory test will not test as much of the RAM, though.

3 hours ago, manterola said:

It is beautiful.. too bad that now it is out of stock.

That's because this was the last one in stock, I'm glad I jumped on it, now I am glad I didn't pay almost $600.00 for that other NOS NIB 65XE that's currently up on eBay, this one was only $199 + S&H + WA sales tax, who can beat a deal like that???

Here is that one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Atari-65XE-Personal-Computer-PC-Brand-New-NTSC-N-American-Matching-Serial/164367090056?hash=item26450ac188:g:d34AAOSwqWFfUTNg

BTW, that one also was sold to the seller by Bruce and the folks at B & C in El Dorado, CA as well!!! :)

I have a NOS 65XE in the box that I got from Bruce a few years back as well. It occasionally gets removed from the box and opened up to verify fit for some of the projects I develop. At some point down the road I'll put it up for sale here on the forums for a bit less than what I paid for it since it might be missing the RF shield ;) .