IGNORED

800XL PBI 5V fix?

bfollowell

5 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

I'm convinced! Will do that method and give it a go tomorrow am. Thanks! Oh, one last clarification, should I attach the 5v to both 47 and 48, or just 47? I am guessing I only really need 47, but do 48 too for fool-proof 600xl compatibility?

Just one is fine.  Whichever works for you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Will flux help make it stronger? I got a bunch of the wrong kind. Someone said get rosin flux gel in a syringe, but I can't find any.

Flux helps the solder flow better.  Usually, solder already has flux in it.  Adding more can help.

See if you can find a good soldering how-to video on youtube.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Will flux help make it stronger? I got a bunch of the wrong kind. Someone said get rosin flux gel in a syringe, but I can't find any.

22 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

See if you can find a good soldering how-to video on youtube.

Here are some videos that might help you: Pace - Soldering

I haven't watched them myself; but they're recommended by some people in this thread: Need a soldering refresher? First time soldering?

• Like 1

Hopefully, someone will pipe in with their favorites or maybe some specific brands, but until then, you best bet would be to search for soldering flux. Personally, I don't know what differences there are between them and what you got, but I would think you'd definitely want something geared more towards soldering than stained glass work.

This search pulled back quite a few items but even then, there was a stained glass flux or two in there. Just ignore those altogether.

Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soldering+flux&crid=F2PH6CL9VKP0&sprefix=soldering+flux%2Caps%2C163&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Just my 2 cents...

I do not use external rosin flux while soldering...I use Rosin Core Solder. It has the flux in it...Now when I de- solder(remove old parts) I use the flux external to help with the solder to melt and get out of the way with a "pop" sucker or most of the time solder wick (most solder wick has flux in it). Use a good rosin core solder and a small thickness (.8mm) and you will be fine.. Also use a SMALL tip soldering iron, maybe around 6oo to 700 degrees I use a tip at 850 but I have been soldering for 50 years.. I have all the tools to do the job..

Peter

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips/info it is needed and appreciated. I will follow your approach. Since I will use the rosin core solder, I will forego with the external flux. I got new solder with flux in it. I've been using that old spool I got from my pop's stuff, does that have rosin core? If not I'll use the new stuff. It looks like my iron is in that range.

img_0923.jpg.0c5a0842edfb04d2b4120ece5ecbfbe4.jpgimg_0924.jpg.477ace40ed341a12f3bd808710f6c011.jpgimg_0925.jpg.74da2326bef593217d5fe62442d90b80.jpgimg_0926.jpg.eaa42b7bc924d8f4a11d779114c5ca24.jpgimg_0927.jpg.0ffd25f9f5aa587c8377cc4ca2507aea.jpgWeller Tech Sheet WTCPR.pdf

2 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Just my 2 cents...

I do not use external rosin flux while soldering...I use Rosin Core Solder. It has the flux in it

It does, but I always get better results when using extra flux if only on top of the PCB, but I'll usually do a tiny amount on both sides.  A little goes a long way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, invisible kid said:

Thanks for the tips/info it is needed and appreciated. I will follow your approach. Since I will use the rosin core solder, I will forego with the external flux. I got new solder with flux in it. I've been using that old spool I got from my pop's stuff, does that have rosin core? If not I'll use the new stuff. It looks like my iron is in that range.

img_0923.jpg.0c5a0842edfb04d2b4120ece5ecbfbe4.jpgimg_0924.jpg.477ace40ed341a12f3bd808710f6c011.jpgimg_0925.jpg.74da2326bef593217d5fe62442d90b80.jpgimg_0926.jpg.eaa42b7bc924d8f4a11d779114c5ca24.jpgimg_0927.jpg.0ffd25f9f5aa587c8377cc4ca2507aea.jpg Weller Tech Sheet WTCPR.pdf 301.48 kB · 1 download

That's a good soldering iron.  My dad has one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrFish said:

Here are some videos that might help you: Pace - Soldering

I haven't watched them myself; but they're recommended by some people in this thread: Need a soldering refresher? First time soldering?

Those Pace videos are perfect, especially with the 60s/70s vibe. Great thread too, thanks!

Edited by invisible kid

On 7/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, Stephen said:

It does, but I always get better results when using extra flux if only on top of the PCB, but I'll usually do a tiny amount on both sides.  A little goes a long way.

As @Peter Rabitt stated, I generally only use extra flux when de-soldering, however, I do use flux with a bit on both sides of the PCB when installing sockets. I've had enough trouble over the years installing sockets and not getting the soldering done correctly on the component side where it's all hidden by the plastic housing of the socket itself and having to hope the soldering was done properly where I can't see the results. A bit of flux on both sides of the board has virtually ended those headaches, since the solder flows much better with the external flux.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I use a thick flux, does the job unless there's a good reason to use liquid flux. I apply from a syringe. The one thing I found annoying when I came back to doing soldering was that unbeknown to me they has introduced a new form of multicore solder that was lead free. Boy do I hate that stuff, like trying to make toothpaste flow. Had to get the old usual 60/40 lead included solder, ah, bliss. I now make sure the area is better vented and sometimes wear a covid style mask just to avoid breathing in the lead fumes, not that I do enough work for it to be an issue.

Must watch those Pace video's, not too old to learn new tricks..

Thank you @MrFish for the link..

Update: Watched a few of the video's very precise and little tricks for things like cup terminals, the video I most liked was the repair of damaged boards, things like replacing edge connector strips, broken tracks etc. Again very precise, but nothing beats a good old bodge wire in my book :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I now make sure the area is better vented and sometimes wear a covid style mask just to avoid breathing in the lead fumes

Those masks don't do much against fumes. But venting is a good idea. You can also place a small table fan on the same desk and have it blow the fumes sideways. Or hold your breath and blow the fumes away after the solder point is done :D

Hold my breath Lol...

I used to do two lengths of a full size swimming pool underwater, these days I can just about hold it long enough to get the shampoo out of my hair in the bath :)

Sounds like it will be the fan option for me..

As said, I do so little soldering these days, but a bit of protection can't hurt..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Hold my breath Lol...

Well, I actually do that sometimes when I'm soldering :)

I used to do two lengths of a full size swimming pool underwater, these days I can just about hold it long enough to get the shampoo out of my hair in the bath :)

Wow, that's 2x50m=100m, right? Impressive! We had a 25m indoor swimming pool in the neighborhood when I was young, and I could do 35-40m at my peak :)

Later I trained holding my breath without physical movement. Just hyperventilate, and then do what is called "packing", and then just sit, and resist to urge to breath because of the hyperventilating. That urge passes, but reoccurs when your blood is really depleted of oxygen. My record was 2 minutes and 40 seconds. This was like the breath challenge on TikTok (minus the blacking out) avant la lettre :)

That was 20 years ago. I doubt I can reach 60 seconds now :)

Edited by ivop

5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I now make sure the area is better vented and sometimes wear a covid style mask just to avoid breathing in the lead fumes, not that I do enough work for it to be an issue.

Made me think back when I first joined the RAF, quite a lot of aircraft instruments were hermetically sealed

and filled with nitrogen and helium, the sealing/unsealing was done with heavy duty soldering irons, lead solder, no masks in those days ☠️

quite surprised I'm still alive ?

15 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Made me think back when I first joined the RAF, quite a lot of aircraft instruments were hermetically sealed

and filled with nitrogen and helium, the sealing/unsealing was done with heavy duty soldering irons, lead solder, no masks in those days ☠️

quite surprised I'm still alive ?

Bah!  Feel bad for the Radium Girls painting watch hands with luminous paint.

12 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Hold my breath Lol...

Paul..

10 hours ago, ivop said:

Well, I actually do that sometimes when I'm soldering :)

I hold my breath while soldering, or any type of delicate precision work; not to avoid fumes, but to still myself for better articulation.?

I have intake and exhaust fans in my workshop/lab for any fumes.?️

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I hold my breath while soldering, or any type of delicate precision work; not to avoid fumes, but to still myself for better articulation.?

I have intake and exhaust fans in my workshop/lab for any fumes.?️

You old Pro Matt :)

• Haha 1