IGNORED

SUperSIO Splitter

Sikor

Some FAQ begins.

Q: Are all SIO slots externally powered?
A: No, only SIO J3, IDC12 JP2 and the four pins of the internal FP1 socket (see schema). This is to protect the Atari from improper connection of external power, and at the same time provides additional power (if necessary) to the front panel (removable) or from the FP1 connector to the internal SIO device. When we do not connect an external power supply - the appropriate pins are powered from the Atari (+ 5V).

Q: USB port is not connected, why?

A: It's easy. This is a possible socket to be used by the designer of the internal device. One can imagine for example an arduino programming socket or a SIO2PC installed inside. The connection itself can be done by connecting four signals from the daughter board (with an internal SIO device) through the JP6 connector.

Q: There is no ground pin in the JP4 socket, why?

A: The JP4 socket is used only for configuration with an internal device, the device itself takes the ground (like most SIO devices) from the appropriate SIO socket pin, in this case from the internal JP3 socket. If necessary, additional ground can be connected via the signal connectors and taken from the FP1 socket, for example.

Q:Many signals from the JP4 socket are repeated on the FP1 socket. For what?

A: It's simple - FP1 (it can be expanded as "Front Panel") is an optional socket for communication with an internal device via a properly configured front panel. Super SIO Splitter will be delivered with a full panel, in which potential designers of sio devices will be able to install additional configuration and information elements (for example, buttons and a display for SIO2SD). It is difficult to predict what and how it will be done, so many (so far probably redundant) signals have been provided to use. We should also remember that SIO devices can be loop-through, the design of the Super SIO Splitter takes this into account - PCBs of successive devices can be superimposed on each other (the so-called "sandwich"), then these signals can be used.

Q: Switch S1 has no resistors, why? What is wogle needed for?

A: This has been brought to my attention. Well, the S1 switch is used for the initial configuration of the device - sometimes we do not need to use the panel. Configuration should be performed relatively rarely, hence this type of switch (DIP-SWITCH), a good example known from Atari is the number of the disk drive or the recording density used. In addition, there is also a jumper A-B (FP4 and S1 socket), which only "closes the circuit". It can be used, for example, to start another device "on a sandwich". The method of use depends only on the designer of the indoor device.

Q: A USB type "B" socket was used, why not microUSB, much more popular, for example in phone chargers?

A: The USB port is added redundantly. I assume someone will use them in their projects. The cable for it costs pennies, if someone wants to power his indoor device from it, nothing will stop you. But I think a more logical use is SIO2PC or programming internal devices via USB without taking them out of the case, and in many of them USB "B" type is standard and is included with the device.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have SUPER SIO SPLITTER tiles for constructors - if they are willing. So far, there is no housing, which is currently being drawn.
Now yes - the boards are in revision 1.0, the construction will not change anymore. There will also be a batch of boards in the 1.0A revision - improved ground area under one connector, change in the size of the holes for the SIO (slightly larger), change in the size of the holes for the power socket (slightly smaller).

I will be able to send the PCB (for registration) after April 10 - I have to refine the documentation. This is a very short series (25PCB), revision 1.0A will also be short (25pcs too). Therefore, I am introducing a limit of a maximum of two pieces per person (I can send a collective package to reduce costs), basically these tiles will be sold at absolute cost - but with the possibility of issuing a Polish VAT invoice. The order of entries decides about the possible purchase, and I intend to sell the developer versions (those in the pictures) in two options:
1. PCB + 3xSIO, without other elements: PLN 60 or USD 15 or 12EU
2. PCB plus all elements (except POWER SWITCH, which is optional): PLN 75 or USD 18.75 or 15 EU
The prices listed do not include the cost of the courier, priced individually (in Poland, delivery via InPOST, in Europe, delivery by post).

Now the formal issue: I assume that device designers can use the soldering iron, hence the shipment as a kit for self-assembly. The PCB will be sent as OEM for now, i.e. only a box, components (of your choice), a diagram and a registration card for developers - this should be sent back to me by post, so that after producing the enclosures, I can enjoy a new enclosure for my own set (I expect the end of this year). All registered designers will receive the housing and full printed manual at absolute cost.

What do I expect in return? As this is a promotion, I hope to:
- performance of reliable tests
- development of new devices in the standard offered by PCB
- unapproach the device on the forum;)
If anyone would be interested - please write to the e-mail (please process it properly): biuro at sikorsoft dot waw point pl in the subject, write "Super SIO Dev Board" and specify the quantity (1 or 2) and the selected option (1 or 2). The order in which the e-mail is received is decisive.

SAM_2704.JPG

SAM_2705.JPG

SAM_2707.JPG

SAM_2708.JPG

@Kyle22: There is a place for USB-B on the PCB, see previous photos. Only a four-pin interface is made - what will be connected there is already at the discretion of the designer. I personally suggested SIO2PC or a programming port, for example, an arduino inserted into the housing and attached to the SIO - you can easily do it without disassembling the (target) housing. Thanks to the side jumpers, you can also select the mode on the device (depending on the designer's imagination) and have, for example, SIO2PC as standard, and after switching the mode - programming the device via the USB port.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I took delivery of the final version of the enclosures - it remains to do the marking of the sockets, soldering, instructions (or rather, appropriate amendments to them) and packaging. You can see what the (almost) final product will look like.
I'm just wondering whether to get the boxes ready, or would you prefer a cheaper product (OEM version, let's call it)?

SAM_5103.JPG

SAM_5102.JPG

SAM_5101.JPG

SAM_5100.JPG

SAM_5099.JPG

SAM_5098.JPG

SAM_5097.JPG

SAM_5096.JPG

SAM_5095.JPG

SAM_5094.JPG

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, KlasO said:

Will this be for sale?

Yes, exactly. Just like the other stuff I sell. I'm treating it more as a case for new splitter devices - it's just that after making cartridge cases, I often got questions about cases for various devices for the Atari. Making an injection mold for individual devices was missing the point (too small a market), so a super sio splitter was created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sikor said:

Yes, exactly. Just like the other stuff I sell. I'm treating it more as a case for new splitter devices - it's just that after making cartridge cases, I often got questions about cases for various devices for the Atari. Making an injection mold for individual devices was missing the point (too small a market), so a super sio splitter was created.

Does that mean the enclosure is designed to work with different devices (it looks quite high just for Super Splitter)?

33 minutes ago, slx said:

Does that mean the enclosure is designed to work with different devices (it looks quite high just for Super Splitter)?

Yes, basically if you look at the schematic - almost everything created for SIO can be rebuilt in such a way as to connect inside the chassis and adjust the front panel as needed (display, buttons, etc.). The four holes you see are for 3mm photodiodes, two of which point to the power supply, and the output of two more is directly from a possible device inside. DIPswitches are used for possible device configuration without dismantling the case, so even without rebuilding the front panel, some things can be set up. There is also a "hanging" USB socket - a well-designed internal device will allow, for example, (with the help of an external switch) to reprogram a batch without removing it from inside (for example, a sdrive).
As for the height - it is close to the height of the Atari, so you can be tempted (with good design) to enclose even several devices inside (for a sandwich).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348968-weekend-promotion-on-things-from-sikor-soft/
Due to the fact that I will most likely start an official sale on my website at the end of next week - I have light discounts on everything this weekend. More information in the appropriate forum thread, indicated at the beginning of this post.

• Like 1