IGNORED

SUperSIO Splitter

Sikor

For now, as a concept - the assumption is to create a splitter with a universal housing for SIO devices. I will briefly write what and how in the assumptions:
* SIO splitter, including one separate socket powered externally
* 2x IDC12 socket, for devices already created, but without SIO plug (one with separate 5V power supply) - SIO standard
* one microUSB socket for + 5V power supply (generally available chargers in this standard will relieve Atari)
* one five-position DIP-Switch, the first switch reserved for disconnecting 5V from SIO from Atari to goldpins of the internal connector, the rest led to the pins of the internal connector for use by device manufacturers
* internal connector on goldpins (SIO + configuration pins), most likely there will be 16 or 18 pins (in development)
* internal bridge on the front side of the housing - number of pins in the development, for outputting signals from the device to the front panel, completely dependent on the device, also on goldpins (this part is connected to the Atari only via an internal device)
* the right number of pins in front of the panel itself, for connecting buttons / LEDs / etc, etc. (two pairs reserved for the external power indicator and + 5V from Atari for the internal socket of the device)
Now the question is what and for what? Now I am asked again and again about the possibility of creating a housing for SIO2SD, SIO2PC, etc., etc. Of course, from an injection mold. I recalculated everything and how and so, a new universal housing will be created. It will have a removable front panel, on which you can mount additional switches / displays, etc. In order for the housing to be used to the maximum - it will also act as an SIO splitter. Inside, I want to create a standard for new devices that can be put inside. The initial "configuration" can be established using dip-switches.
When will it be available? Standard is created in pains so far, so that he can include all the necessary things. I am counting on your suggestions, but I have already made some assumptions. The whole thing will be enclosed in a housing in RAL7035 color (like my cartridge), the housing will be scratched when the splitter motherboard is already developed and tested. The width of the device will be about 7.5 cm, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less - if I have a prototype, I will give exact dimensions. And such extensions can be inserted - as I write, I will give the exact pinout and dimensions when a prototype is created. I will not make attachments, nor do I intend to mill the front panels - I leave it to equipment manufacturers. From the moment of applying the pinout to the finished housing, I predict plus or minus 6 to 9 months, so this is not a project for yesterday, but you can prepare with the devices. For "developers" it will probably be possible to order a short series of PCBs without covers, but it will probably be several pieces.
Now a few words, what can already be theoretically put into such a housing:
- SIO2SD version without display
- SIO2SD with a display not really, because the display is very large (2x16 characters) and will not enter the front panel. Well, unless it's a top one, but you have to consider if you want to.
- SIO2BT - there should be enough buttons and LEDs, no display.
- FujiNET - enough LEDs, you can think of a slot in the front for a microSD card.
- SDrive - buttons and LEDs should be enough
- SDrive MAX - no space for the display.
Probably a few others would be found. Any suggestions from you?

PS: Sorry for google translate, but for me it was long text. Picture is only as sample, socket not placed on wright places yet - it's only my conception

super_SIO..thumb.png.a26b17231e7d89a2707291d5458e46dc.png

• Like 9

Neat idea.  The only thing I don't like about most current implementations of SIO splitters, is the fact that cables come out of 3 or 4 sides of the box.  There's simply no nice way to place that on a desk or make things look tidy.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, StickJock said:

How about having a prototype area in the middle where you have a big rectangle full of standard-spaced, plated thru-holes where people can put dip sockets & other thru-hole components?

I've got the perfect solution :)
PCB-12-12x18-cm-Universal-PCB-Board-View

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, ACML said:

Lotharek already has a very nice solution.  You can add your own 5vdc or use it off the computer's SIO.  Allows up to four devices to share the same SIO port.  It's a USB hub, just from 1979. 

SPLITTERB.jpg

Yes, but in my case you can add any new device inside it. It will be not only splitter, but also case for new devices.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sikor said:

How @Stephen wrote - no way ;) It complicate solutions  -you have standard SIO signals plus free configuration jumpers from Atari side, and what you do between ATARI and front panel is yours.

Poor attempt at humour, answering stickjock.  I did not mean to slight your proposed project in any way.

Sikor, this is a nice idea. I also like Lotharek's solution.  I still have my (deluxe) Quintopus from CSS/Bob Puff which is not powered, but two of six ports can be switched on/ off.  One thing I like about its design is that it has a fairly large footprint and sits nicely on top of my disk drives with most of the cables hidden behind the drives.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Sikor, this is a nice idea. I also like Lotharek's solution.  I still have my (deluxe) Quintopus from CSS/Bob Puff which is not powered, but two of six ports can be switched on/ off.  One thing I like about its design is that it has a fairly large footprint and sits nicely on top of my disk drives with most of the cables hidden behind the drives.

Still using my Quintopus Switched version after all these years.  Wonder why that cannot be repro'd today.  

Yep, but this is different: it is an universal housing/case for SIO devices, which happen to have (or designed to have) several SIO connectors available. At least that is what I understood.

For a plain splitter we have the one of Lotharek (edit: which is super cool, great look and functionality)

Edited by manterola

Exactly. It is supposed to be a housing with splitter functionality. Many SIO devices suffer from the problem of being terminal and not having an additional SIO slot. My idea is to prevent this situation, and at the same time give the possibility to put the device in a durable and functional housing. The Atari market is unfortunately too niche to make separate housings for each of them on the injection molding machine. And yes, there are nice and functional 3D printed enclosures, but they are not as durable as injection molded ones.

• Like 2

- SIO2SD with a display not really, because the display is very large (2x16 characters) and will not enter the front panel. Well, unless it's a top one, but you have to consider if you want to. Small is ok -  8cmx3cm, I has this one in my SIO2SD.

So, probably it will be 8-8,5cm wide

super_SIO..png

Edited by Sikor
more spec
  • Like 2

Sooo... Firsr render is already done. Finally will be:

External:

- 3 SIO socket like this (one "hot" for external power):

- 2 IDC12 male (SIO replacement), one hot as above

- 1 USB type B (for SIO2PC, if anyone plug in it), with 4 pins for plug in inside

- one jack (probably) socket for external power (if it will be necessary)

- one 5 position DIPSWITCH (SW1 for on/off external power, 4 for internal use with devices plugin into main board)

Internal:

- 12 pins from inside SIO for plugin douther board with SIO devices (2x6pins)

- 30 pins header (2x15) for pre-configuring SIODEVICE and forwarding signal to front panel (optionaly)

- 40 pins header (2x20) for front panel devices (for example LCD with dip-switches, diodes, centronics interface if somebody wants...)

- 8 pins header (2x4) for led-diodes (4 are reserved for signal external SIO power and SIO power signal for internal devices)

I have not decided yet whether the board for the front panel (removable) will be mounted directly on the pins or leave some space in the front so that it can be better managed. How would you prefer?
I have decided to add two front panels to my devices with the device. Perhaps there will also be additional ones available for those willing? How would I decide to connect with tape - how much would you prefer the space between the main PCB and the front panel (range 1-2cm max)?

=====================================================

Ok, first public render...

render1_public.thumb.png.ebe242bebf1f121f5ddf1c38a61246b1.png

Edited by Sikor
+first render
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

The tile contractor accidentally made a mirror. But the version with amendments is already prepared. So that nothing is happening in the topic - the first prototype PCB ...

SAM_2690.thumb.JPG.fce0967f8a99c39513282dbec0df9016.JPGSAM_2691.thumb.JPG.ba99f814d03b039d3a4a0b3c937ca855.JPG

The final version will differ slightly from the one presented - and of course everything will be enclosed in a housing ...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sikor said:

The tile contractor accidentally made a mirror.

The PCB may still be usable, with all thru-hole components it should still be possible to use this PCB by installing components on what was supposed to be the solder side, which reveres the mirroring. The side with the silkscreen becomes the solder side.

A little more difficult to build since you can't just use the silkscreen to place components, it would look strange but still be functional/usable.

Yes, I considered such an application. But because there are two (minor) changes, I decided to wait with the assembly - I want to send samples to device developers (the housing will take 7-8 months to build, because it takes a long time to make a good quality mold from design to the final product). Perhaps I will assemble this one for myself ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Yes please!!! 

Unfortunately You must wait few month for final product. Now I'll do some test and start making enclosure for injection mold, I think it took about 6-9 month from scratch. But all is for right way today ;)

Probably in Americas Super SIO Splitter will be sell by Gavin from Vintage Computer Center. Rest of world by me. It reduce some sending cost and time for sending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, test pass. I attach pinout schemma for developers:

j1, j2, j3 - standard Atari SIO socket

jp1, jp2 - IDC12 SIO socket replacement for existed SIO devices withot standard SIO plug

jp3 - 2,54 raster pin, internal SIO replacement for internal build devices

jp4 - 2,54 raster pin for external communication and configuration for internal build devices

fp1 - 2,54 raster pin for front panel devices

s1 - configuration switch

s2 - power selector (external power or power from Atari)

cn1 - power socket for external power

jp6/USB - 2,54 raster pin and USB-B socket for external use (f.e. for programming internal devices from USB, if it will be necessary, or for external power from USB to internal  devices), only as interface to internal device, not connected with rest of PCB (developers can connect USB directly to internal device using jp6)

led12 socket - reserved to power indicator (internal/external)

led34 socket - standard leds for developers for internal devices, see jp4 signals pinout

More info as soon, as possible. Please write ask for it - i try prepare short FAQ for it.

SuperSIO 3 sch-1.pdf

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I worry for users who have accidents. Protection diode maybe help keeps the smoke from escaping when oops happens.... back-feeding of power can't happen then. Lowest forward v drop of course.

Initially, I considered a diode (first posts), but this protection would be insufficient. By consulting the electronics - there is a separate power supply, either an Atari or an external source, it seems a safer solution. Of course, everything cannot be predicted. And, one more - external power is fully optional, not necessary in most devices.