IGNORED

Series X or S?

Serguei2

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Yep! Picked mine up on Wednesday. Set it up yesterday.

When you log into it, it should give you a pop-up asking you to redeem your two years of Game Pass Ultimate. I was confused on that detail when I picked up the console, but it was pretty seamless when I was getting it setup.

Yep, it did that too. I think it's cool that it comes pre-loaded with it. Same as my One S did 2 years ago. I was expecting a card with a code to punch in.

I set mine up last night too. It took like 30-40 minutes to download a system update, then I popped my NBA 2K22 (made for One S) disc into it and I installed it and updates for it. Second game I installed was Flight Simulator and some indie games off Game Pass. I haven't had time to play them yet. 

I wonder if they make a yoke, throttle, pedals type flight controller for Flight Sim? Might be cool, but I probably won't get that involved with it. :) I will probably just fly a Piper Cub to NYC and up to Montreal.

I do know there are flight sticks for Xbox One that you can try. Not sure if there are more advanced ones with pedals though. I am looking forward to trying Flight Sim on the X. It was neat on Series S but you could tell it was heavily compromised. Getting close to the ground reminded me of PS2-era textures, no joke. :lol:

My new controller included with the X has a tight battery door, so I checked if the battery cover from my Xbox One S controller would fit it better. Sure enough, it does, so now each controller has a better fitting battery cover. Is there any difference between the One S/X and Series S/X controllers? The "One S" controller I have might actually be a Series S/X one. I think I bought a new Series S/X one last year and gave my GF's son the One S/X one. I can't remember.

5 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

My new controller included with the X has a tight battery door, so I checked if the battery cover from my Xbox One S controller would fit it better. Sure enough, it does, so now each controller has a better fitting battery cover. Is there any difference between the One S/X and Series S/X controllers? The "One S" controller I have might actually be a Series S/X one. I think I bought a new Series S/X one last year and gave my GF's son the One S/X one. I can't remember.

AFAIK the series s/x has an extra button, but should be compatible with XBOX one and vice-versa.

I think the battery kits are different. The series s/x battery cover or space is slightly changed.

9 hours ago, H454 said:

AFAIK the series s/x has an extra button, but should be compatible with XBOX one and vice-versa.

I think the battery kits are different. The series s/x battery cover or space is slightly changed.

I guess I have 2 Series S/X controllers, as they both have the extra button. Both are black, because Best Buy wanted an extra $5 for the colored ones. :( Darn things are pricey $60-$65.

The other brands like PowerA and PDP(?) seem good; I have a couple. They're about $30-$35. They are wired though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

I guess I have 2 Series S/X controllers, as they both have the extra button. Both are black, because Best Buy wanted an extra $5 for the colored ones. :( Darn things are pricey $60-$65.

The other brands like PowerA and PDP(?) seem good; I have a couple. They're about $30-$35. They are wired though.

I had a PDP - about the same build quality as Power A. the thumb sticks also just stopped working one day, so make of that what you will.

My first Power A was the switch controller with the NES Zelda on it. Worked ok, but about every 30min to an hour the switch would "forget" the controller, than quickly reconnect. Both have mediocre D-pads. Both are wired.

These are the controllers you have for a young kid to use.

Spending the extra for the OEM controller is kinda like buying tools - "Buy once, Cry Once".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, H454 said:

I had a PDP - about the same build quality as Power A. the thumb sticks also just stopped working one day, so make of that what you will.

My first Power A was the switch controller with the NES Zelda on it. Worked ok, but about every 30min to an hour the switch would "forget" the controller, than quickly reconnect. Both have mediocre D-pads. Both are wired.

These are the controllers you have for a young kid to use.

Spending the extra for the OEM controller is kinda like buying tools - "Buy once, Cry Once".

Amen, I sent the blue Power A along with my One S's new owner -- friend of my stepson. I sold it to him for $100 -- good deal for a One S with 1 TB drive and an optical drive. I was clear to him though "no wireless MS controller". 

• Like 1

So, I forgot to mention I did the Best Buy Series X deal like a couple other members here did.

Got it on March 1. With the game pass and other DL games I own from the X ONE, did anybody basic fill up there drive space?

The S|X controllers also have some welcome texturing, both on the controller itself and the analog triggers. Definitely feels nicer than a stock Xbox One controller. The d-pad is generally more comfortable to use in my experience as well (even though the disc shape took a little while to get used to).

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:38 PM, H454 said:

So, I forgot to mention I did the Best Buy Series X deal like a couple other members here did.

Got it on March 1. With the game pass and other DL games I own from the X ONE, did anybody basic fill up there drive space?

Yeah these modern larger games take up a lot of space. Sheesh. My NBA 2K22 (which is actually a One S Standard Edition) took up like 120 GB of space I think when it installed along with the updates. And I downloaded some other games off Game Pass. I can't check now since GF is watching a movie, but I think it's like half full already. 

I assume we can add some sort of external storage?  On disc based games, I assume the Xbox has to install a lot of the data onto the internal storage?

On 3/30/2022 at 6:38 PM, H454 said:

Yeah... Flight Simulator is probably what's taking the most space on mine. But considering the slow pace of the game - plus my preference for flying the slowest planes - I'm thinking it might actually be a good candidate for a streaming game rather than having it installed locally. I don't really need twitch-speed responsiveness just for playing it with a regular controller.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, jd_1138 said:

Yeah these modern larger games take up a lot of space. Sheesh. My NBA 2K22 (which is actually a One S Standard Edition) took up like 120 GB of space I think when it installed along with the updates. And I downloaded some other games off Game Pass. I can't check now since GF is watching a movie, but I think it's like half full already. 

I assume we can add some sort of external storage?  On disc based games, I assume the Xbox has to install a lot of the data onto the internal storage?

A plug in SSD Is 1gig for $220. The 2 gig is $399. Games can be played off that.

From my understating, you can use an external usb to store the games and copy them over when playing them.

I think if you used an external drive from the xbox one, you can copy from those drives.

I have a USB 3.0 for my XBOX one. Fallout NV and 4 loaded FASTER from an external drive!

Some people are working on hacks for an adapter for the SSD plug in. But, at this point, its cheaper and easier to just buy the xbox SSD.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring. 

I bought a series s originally. I loved the system, to be honest. But at least for me, all it did was make me want to get a Series X. I loved the zippiness of the OS, the new rumble features and the quick resume features. But really missed the polish I knew certain games had having played their respective pc ans ps5 ports. 

Nothing wrong with it. But I see the Series S as kind of a gateway drug. Grts you hooked on the ecosystem and all. But will make you want more. 

From what I gather talking to others, it seems thats why there's so many used ones (not new ones from scalpers) for sale on places like Offer Up. 

Edited by LIME LYSTA
  • Like 3

The super fast loading is what sealed the deal for me.

Less than 5 seconds load time for Fallout NV.

It was sometimes a minute on the series one (base model). I had to put it on an external usb 3.0 HD.

And that only cut 10% off load time.

Now Fallout NV crashes faster than ever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H454 said:

The super fast loading is what sealed the deal for me.

Less than 5 seconds load time for Fallout NV.

It was sometimes a minute on the series one (base model). I had to put it on an external usb 3.0 HD.

And that only cut 10% off load time.

Now Fallout NV crashes faster than ever!

+1 

The improved load times are the real deal and make Gears 5 tolerable.  Time is money and those minute long load times really add up.  

I also like how quiet the S is.  No more fan noise and chattering hard drive cacophony.  

A worthy upgrade, no doubt. 

• Like 1

Here’s my personal observation - I own an Xbox Series X and I bought my father (he’s 80 years young) an Xbox Series S for Christmas 2 years ago.

As of right now (and this may change in the future), I haven’t noticed much difference graphically between the X and S, and we both play a lot of the same games. Again, like I said - this may change as more games are released in the future.

Personally, I haven’t found any games yet that have excited me enough to buy physical releases. ? So far, everything I have bought for the Series X has been digital. Looking back, if I had a Series S, I’d be happy with it. It’s a nice console with a sweet spot price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Master Phruby said:

It's funny how the Series S is pretty easy to get at Target and walmart now but the X is still nowhere to be found in a physical store without playing some stupid game. I wonder when we are going to start seeing Series X in bulk. 

I get the impression that MS doesn't really care. Having a unit they can make more money on for less manufacturing cost and big profits on digital software.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, H454 said:

I get the impression that MS doesn't really care. Having a unit they can make more money on for less manufacturing cost and big profits on digital software.

I think so too. I love my Series S. It would be nice to have the Series X or PS5/PS4 but that is impossible. 

Like I said earlier, Best Buy seems to have stock of Series X units (though not at every store it seems). I was able to check their website just now and add one to my cart for store pickup at a store that's the next town over. Anyone looking for a Series X, it's probably worth checking Best Buy's website at the very least.

image.thumb.png.0f878ef994649e905576dd89e94efbd3.png

*Edit: I just checked Target's site as well and they have a few units at the one just up the street from me, but it's only for the All Access program. You'd basically be paying for the console and two years of Game Pass Ultimate. I guess the point is, the Series X consoles are starting to pop up more regularly.