IGNORED

Argon & 7800 (new emulator for Android/Amazon/Chromebook/Pi)

bhall408

As a bit of a holiday treat, we've just released a public beta version of Argon with preliminary Atari 7800 support (POKEY, but not yet XM/YM)

(This is in addition to the existing support for Atari 2600, Atari Lynx, Coleco, Intellivision and Vectrex)

The sound is in simulated stereo, which sounds awesome in games (such as T:ME Salvo) that have groovy title screen music (shot attached below).

If you are a developer and have games you've done that you'd like us to add to the free play section, PM me!

Later on when we're out of beta, there will be a premium/subscriber section, for licensed and enhanced games (homebrew/indie games that take advantage of our extra APIs). That is still in progress/TBD, but we expect to start doing that in a few months, and will keep folks posted on that.

You can download the public beta (for Android phone/tablet/TV as well as Chromebook now, Amazon and Raspberry Pi 4/Pi400 versions soon/available on request) at www.playargon.com

Some self-help links on how to set up bluetooth game controllers, keyboard mapping, loading up your own library on device or via Google Drive, and other topics can be found at support.markspace.com

We'd appreciate feedback!

Happy Holidays

The Argon Team...

Screenshot_20201224-113605.thumb.png.2d73931680798ef2b75973d1a189caa1.png  Screenshot_20201224-110300.thumb.png.844afc56a872287dd71557ad3a330613.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Heads up - we switched to a7800 as the core, are wrapping up internal testing, and the next update we post to Google Play will have it.

The most noticeable improvement will be the POKEY support from a7800 (E.X.O. music and the "Have you played Atari today" jingle sounds much better now!).

This will also allows us some other cool things, such as the ability to support twin-stick mode in T:ME Salvo, and adds support for all the latest bank-switching formats.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

If you point me to an .a78 file that uses it, I can give it a try and report back.

So probably no :(

all documentation  here and bin files

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315966-my-experiments-with-atari-7800/?do=findComment&comment=5085360

The 32kB cartridge address area was divided into 8 banks of 4kB each (banks 0-7). Four of them are constant, four are variable. They occupy the initial area of the EPROM memory.
The rest of the 512kB EPROM memory is also divided into 4kB banks (banks 8-127).

Banks: 2- $Axxx, 4- $Cxxx, 6- $Exxx (I will call them banks A, C and E) can be independently changed within the 0-63 bank, that is 256kB. To change the bank, write its number down to the starting address of the bank.
Example: writing $1F to the address $A000 will cause bank A to be replaced with bank 31. From now on, any reference to the address $Axxx will read the data from bank 31.
Banks A, C and E can be set to reverse the reading of data. This is controlled by the last two bits of the bank change data (D6-D7).

00 - normal reading - D = 76543210
01 - 160A mode - D = 10325476
10 - 160B mode - D = 54761032
11 - 320B & 320D mode - D = 01234567

Selecting the 01, 10 and 11 modes also causes that the bank is read from the back (the A0-A7 address lines are negated).

Bank 5- $Dxxx (bank D) can be independently changed in the range of bank 0-127, that is 512kB. It is not possible to change the data reading order.
Using 256kB EPROM instead of 512kB will cause bank D to be changed in the range of banks 0-63.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The cartridge offers 2 banks of RAM, 16kB each, with the possibility of disconnecting the A8 and A9 lines (so-called EXRAM/A8 and EXRAM/A9).
RAM is available at $4000-$7FFF.
RAM control is possible by writing to the address $FFFF.

D0- bankswitch RAM
D1- EXRAM / A8
D2- EXRAM / A9

D0 = 0 - the first 16k bank
D0 = 1 - the second 16k bank
D1, D2 = 0 - RAM is working normally
D1 = 1 - line A8 bypassed (state 0)
D2 = 1 - line A9 bypassed (state 0)
D1, D2 = 1 - lines A8 and A9 are bypassed (states 0)

Once set, the RAM mode will be active until set to $FFFF again

*****COVOX*************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------
The cartridge offers 1 Covox channel controlled by the address $0430.

*****SN76489AN********************************************************

----------------------------------------------------------------- 
The cartridge can generate sound from the SN76489AN chip driven by the address $043F.
Due to the specificity of the SV chip, which generates an incidental sound right after switching the power on, the audio output from this chip is disconnected by an electronic key. It is turned on automatically after the address $043F is referenced for the first time. Muting the chip must be controlled by the developer.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eagle said:

for my cart as well? 

As far as I can tell, a7800 doesn't support your cart, so no. As one quick example, COVOX support...

a7800 source is at https://github.com/7800-devtools/a7800

The cart looks fantastic - are there any shipping games that support it yet? (I'm assuming not yet)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

So where can I get this for Rapsberry Pi? I'd like to replace the aged out version of Prosystem on my Retropie setup.

The most flexible option is to make an SD card with Android TV as the OS, and then install Argon from Play Store - that way you get the benefit of auto-updates of Argon, and also get to use your Pi as an Android TV box as a bonus ;-)

See https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-android-tv-lineageos/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bhall408 said:

The most flexible option is to make an SD card with Android TV as the OS, and then install Argon from Play Store - that way you get the benefit of auto-updates of Argon, and also get to use your Pi as an Android TV box as a bonus ;-)

See https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-android-tv-lineageos/

No thanks. I like my Retropie setup as it is, and already have a Apple TV box connected to the same TV. It took me years to curate the emus and roms on it just how I like it. The only thing lacking is the prosystem version is old, but it’s the only 7800 emu Retroarch has. I just wanted to build it from source and add it to my Retropie rig. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

I got Argon set up on my firetv and I love it. was wondering how subscribe for premium is there a fee or do we just join your mailing list

Glad you are liking it!

We just released a major update last Thursday night on Google Play. We plan to update the Amazon version later this month.

The new version has a re-written UI (it adapts/is the same across phone/tablet/TV/chromebook/desktop), and added 4 new platforms - PICO8, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance.

Shot of the new UI attached.

Subscribing to Argon premium is currently $5/month (may change towards ends of year), and adds access to Argon Premium games (currently 9, now that our new UI is done, the next step is to roll out a new premium game weekly), lets you add your own games via local storage or Google Drive on Google Devices, and cloud saves (so you can start on phone, pick up on TV for example).

DM me the account ID (under "My Profile" from the menu of settings) or email address used with your account, and we can set you up with a lifetime premium account (which we do generally for developers, expo folks, reviewers, etc - folks in those categories feel free to DM me as well).

image.thumb.png.4e080dad09182b4af67853264acd3861.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Glad you are liking it!

We just released a major update last Thursday night on Google Play. We plan to update the Amazon version later this month.

The new version has a re-written UI (it adapts/is the same across phone/tablet/TV/chromebook/desktop), and added 4 new platforms - PICO8, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance.

Shot of the new UI attached.

Subscribing to Argon premium is currently $5/month (may change towards ends of year), and adds access to Argon Premium games (currently 9, now that our new UI is done, the next step is to roll out a new premium game weekly), lets you add your own games via local storage or Google Drive on Google Devices, and cloud saves (so you can start on phone, pick up on TV for example).

DM me the account ID (under "My Profile" from the menu of settings) or email address used with your account, and we can set you up with a lifetime premium account (which we do generally for developers, expo folks, reviewers, etc - folks in those categories feel free to DM me as well).

image.thumb.png.4e080dad09182b4af67853264acd3861.png

thats nice of you give people like expo people developers etc free premium.
we did talk before when you sponsored VGS a few years ago.
I'll DM my account info in while.
Any plans for adding Jaguar to list?
besides be an expo folk as mentioned, I'm also reviewer(was a fanzine editor, trying get back to that) I do game reviews for twitch show(game play mostly for mostly for
my HSC, and I'm also a developer I programed on the ti-99/4a (few demos a and couple games) and I did my own game for 2600 and hacked another (graphic hack)
and I'm planning to make a 2600,7800 and a jaguar game down the road. my first 7800 game I'm working on is going based on VGS(I got the idea from TORG events when they did torgman for nes)

1 hour ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

Any plans for adding Jaguar to list?

We'd love to. Jaguar is a tough one -- it has a small (relative to others) catalog, while being one of the harder ones to implement.

If anyone has a decent emulation core for Jaguar to recommend, we'll get it added!

Needs to be non-GPL licensed (ie, MIT, BSD, or commercial).

I think the original Potato was fully public domain, but I don't recall coming across it, just ones that forked from it (and then went GPL licensed).

1 hour ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

did my own game for 2600 and hacked another (graphic hack)
and I'm planning to make a 2600,7800 and a jaguar game down the road. my first 7800 game I'm working on is going based on VGS(

We encourage folks with original games to submit them to Argon at devs.playargon.com

Demo versions for the free section to help drive traffic/awareness to the full version, commercially sold games in Argon Premium.

22 hours ago, bhall408 said:

We encourage folks with original games to submit them to Argon at devs.playargon.com

Demo versions for the free section to help drive traffic/awareness to the full version, commercially sold games in Argon Premium.

when I get back to programming I'll be send you my demos as well as posting on Atari age.
my premium account is working

• Like 1