IGNORED

New BBS for Apple II GS's!

Byte Knight

• 6 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, Zap! said:

Lol thanks! I really liked the ANSI art a lot. I’m actually logged on right now, about to play some Lemonade! ?

Anyway, here is a pic of my IBM in action.

55CE56C4-E1A0-4C93-AD57-8E58E26C31B3.thumb.jpeg.2690086de6c47d189a5f6bc1d3f6db09.jpeg

Shit... so many emotions.

I had (have) a KayPro 8088... but more or less the same thing as this. And I used to call BBS's all the time... so seeing an ANSI log-in screen is so... how can I say, not just nostalgic... but almost like something I've almost forgotten. Like when you go through an old box that's been in storage or something and see things you used to play with as a kid.

Damn. I don't see a modem anywhere, so I'm assuming it's only via telnet. How are you connecting the old 8088 to telnet, are you doing it through some sort of RbPi serial to USB to terminal device and just using the PC as a terminal (connecting in via Telix, Telemate, or ProComm Plus) or something?

1 minute ago, Boschloo said:

I'm wondering how I can "call up a BBS" when I don't have a landline. There must be a workaround.

You can use telnet, or if you have an older version of Windows you can use HyperTerminal (seems to have been removed). I use ZOC which is a program I purchased that allows me to connect to serial devices. But there's several you can download for free. Basically, you go into a terminal application and then connect to (his BBS) using this address: "cqbbs.ddns.net:6800"

1 hour ago, Boschloo said:

I'm wondering how I can "call up a BBS" when I don't have a landline. There must be a workaround.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

You can use telnet, or if you have an older version of Windows you can use HyperTerminal (seems to have been removed). I use ZOC which is a program I purchased that allows me to connect to serial devices. But there's several you can download for free. Basically, you go into a terminal application and then connect to (his BBS) using this address: "cqbbs.ddns.net:6800"

And, BTW, that link includes some information on connecting to the BBS, including a web-based client.  In Windows, PuTTY has long since become an acceptable replacement for serial, telnet, and SSH clients (also supports rlogin and some other ancient stuff.)

(OMG he has Trade Wars!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

And, BTW, that link includes some information on connecting to the BBS, including a web-based client.  In Windows, PuTTY has long since become an acceptable replacement for serial, telnet, and SSH clients (also supports rlogin and some other ancient stuff.)

(OMG he has Trade Wars!)

Oh shit... I love Trade Wars 2002...

4 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Oh shit... I love Trade Wars 2002...

Right!  TW2000 was my game... ran on one of my local BBSes and I ruled that thing.  Mind you, we only had about 15 players or so.  One of the best turn-based games I ever played.  I had a dirty strategy of calling around 11:30pm, playing a turn, then calling back after midnight when turns reset.

3 hours ago, Boschloo said:

There are multiple "wifi modems" that connect to a serial port on old machines like the IIe and you use standard terminal software. They respond to Hayes AT commands. So to connect to a bbs "ATDTbbsurl.com:6502" or whatever port it's on. 

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...