IGNORED

BBS networking. what is what?

Bikerbob

Hello, as many of you know I am loking at different software to run on the TT030 etc.. to run a BBS

A few of the software packages I have looked at use whats termed Fnet. I am wondering.. or more specifically I suspect that Fnet is not Fidonet. 

FidoNet seems to be the biggest and still has quite a few active nodes out there.

Hey JP, what networking is it that you use on the networked boards?

Does Fnet have independent docs? is Fnet an Atari thing? or just an older Fidonet?   what is what?

James

Ok, I have read some more, and I now know that FNET seems to be Atari.. not sure yet if its 8bit or 16bit or either. but I also see that the software I am reading about now is Turbo Board 2.1.9  last update was June 1992.  They talked about having a FIDO mailer that would be seemless into it. I did read there are ways of taking packets you have and sending them out FIDO and getting them back and converting them to FNET I guess.. THey talked about doing their own TurboNET.. a lot of companies at that point taked about networking their own BBSs

I am interested in this Turbo Board because it is a FOReM - redo.. it is also local.. the guy who wrote it lived about 10 blocks from where I live now. Unfortunatly he does not now.. I wanted to ask if there was any better surviving documentation or last updates. The fellow that did distribute for them in the UK and ran a Turbo board there is still around on facebook, though has not logged on in a long time. I sent a msg.. see what happens.

Anywho.. I guess I can read FOReM documentation and there are update docs etc.. also look back at older turbo board.. there is a 1.0 archive floating around that was given out as a demo. But even thier own docs state a lot has changed from 1 to 2 

Anyone with a good manual for Turboboard? from John Miller ?

James

So is the networking that JP does something special and on its own?   If I google FNET I cannot even find any info on it anymore, there are other products and services that have adopted the name.

I am having a lot of fun looking at this stuff.. but since I am not a programmer I am not having an easy time figuring things out intuitively. I need a basic manual for this.. which I think would be a FOReM manual I guess.

James

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the FNET was for a specific BBS program...   JP is using a networking specific to Express.  Carina had their own version of one as well.

I know there was one other ST based net... I want to say "MouseNet".  I'm fairly certain that wasn't a Fido Technology Network (FTN).

FTNs are simply other networks that exist independent of FidoNet but use the same technology (with their own zone numbers).  I was a member of AtariNet, NeST, RPGNet among others.  There are actually still some today, a couple way more active than FidoNet itself.

It had been my hope someday to come up with a basic Fidonet mailer for the Atari  8-bit line so we could all share, but alas.... I'm long past that point.

• 3 months later...

Yes, but fidoNet is still active and getting on it for me with FoReM would be a little more difficult, I guess run it as a door.  FNET is dead. and we could resurrect it for our Atari ST NET.. :) - You guys could run it as a door. 

• 7 months later...

Well I still have not had luck with Matt Singer, or finding any other long term FoReM ST BBS SYSOP from the past. Turbo Board either.. which is supposed to have made it to VER. 2 and is the successor to FoReM ST.

But the Fellow that created FNET did contact me on facebook, and says that he will try and get to me anything he might have still around.

James

• Like 1