IGNORED

Color issue on 7800

Cruiser133

Is your 7800 connected to the TV using S-video, or Composite?

Also - I assume you're using a video switchbox, given the number of consoles you have there.

Try eliminating the switcher, and go direct to the TV, see if you still have the issue. I had an old Radio shack switcher that caused a similar issue, only with my 7800

Yeah, that looks like a cabling issue, or some other kind of RF interference; even if you have a composite or S-video modded system, most RCA and S-video cables are *not* truly-shielded coaxial cables; as a result, nearby sources of RF or strong magnetic fields can induce interference. Also, by any chance, has your console been modded to use a switching power supply, or are the cables in this photo near a switching PSU that is operating? Those things - especially cheaper ones - are RF noisy as hell and can make a real mess of a video signal in an unshielded cable.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am using S video from the uav to a switch box. I have an atari 2600, neo geo and 5200 all hooked to the same box using the same manufacturers cables and only get the artifacts on the 7800. I even eliminated the switch box and it does it direct to the TV. What company s video do you guys recommend? 

Edited by Cruiser133

Are you talking about the color bleed on the extreme edge of the right side? That is actually pretty normal on a 7800 with a UAV. Mine has it as well and it is mainly from hues of blue and purple on dark backgrounds. It was MUCH worse with the LHE as it did it throughout the entire picture and not just the far edges. If it is something else, then I'm not seeing it?

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Yeah, that looks like a cabling issue, or some other kind of RF interference; even if you have a composite or S-video modded system, most RCA and S-video cables are *not* truly-shielded coaxial cables; as a result, nearby sources of RF or strong magnetic fields can induce interference. Also, by any chance, has your console been modded to use a switching power supply, or are the cables in this photo near a switching PSU that is operating? Those things - especially cheaper ones - are RF noisy as hell and can make a real mess of a video signal in an unshielded cable.

I am using the factory power cable connected to a typical power strip. 

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I think I see it but then that also appears to be part of a reflection from whatever else is in the room. This would be easier to see with the ISO turned down with a dark room because I'm still not sure if I'm seeing it?

It is on the left side and runs vertical under the far left zero. Smudging line of pink. 

2 minutes ago, Cruiser133 said:

I am using the factory power cable connected to a typical power strip. 

What kind of video connection are you using? Composite or S-video? Are you going through a video switcher? Is something else plugged into the power strip with the 7800 that might be producing electrical interference of any kind? 

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

What kind of video connection are you using? Composite or S-video? Are you going through a video switcher? Is something else plugged into the power strip with the 7800 that might be producing electrical interference of any kind? 

S video, I am going through a box but it does it even direct to tv. Other systems are plugged into strip, but I can try plugging the 7800 alone into an outlet if u think that would help.

Edited by Cruiser133

zooming in on the mod picture - it looks like the two ground pins on the S-video jack are soldered together just before the pins?

When I recently added S-video to my UAV modded 7800, I made sure to keep the who ground pins soldered to separate wires, connected to two different points of the ground bar on the 7800 mainboard, and NOT connected to the ground hole on the UAV itself, and that seemed to cut down on interference and color bleeding.

Also - make sure not to connect it to the ground terminal of the audio or composite outputs (if connected)

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Nope..I don't see this pink smudge? 

And part of the issue is that you said the left side, then you said the right side and now left again? Are we talking about 1 or 2 issues here?

He is talking about the pink verical discoloration an inch or two from the left side.

Mitch

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

zooming in on the mod picture - it looks like the two ground pins on the S-video jack are soldered together just before the pins?

When I recently added S-video to my UAV modded 7800, I made sure to keep the who ground pins soldered to separate wires, connected to two different points of the ground bar on the mainboard, and NOT connected to the ground hole on the 7800 itself, and that seemed to cut down on interference and color bleeding.

I always solder a single wire to both of the grounds off the chroma and Luma on the s-video installs I do. However, I don't use the same ground that I use on audio and composite. But I do use the ground next to the chroma luma points off the UAV on the right side of the outputs, and use the ground on the left side of the UAV for the audio and composite. Haven't seen any issues doing that. Unless you are talking about something different? Even on my commercial grade Extron AV switcher, most of the grounds are tied together internally.

1 minute ago, Mitch said:

He is talking about the pink verical discoloration an inch or two from the left side.

Mitch

Yeah, I get that is what is being described. I'm just stating I don't see it specifically. I'm guessing my computer monitor isn't showing it to me?

1 hour ago, Cruiser133 said:

Do my colors look OK? Is the ground supposed to be brown on choplifter?

The ground in Choplifter is specifically, Hue $E8.  The entire Hue $Ex range tends to start green, but becomes yellow-brown as the system warms up.

If interested, more details and specifics regarding the console's palette and colors can be read at the 7800.8bitdev.org site's Atari 7800 Color Documentation page.

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

The ground in Choplifter is specifically, Hue $E8.  The entire Hue $Ex range tends to start green, but becomes yellow-brown as the system warms up.

If interested, more details and specifics regarding the console's palette and colors can be read at the 7800.8bitdev.org site's Atari 7800 Color Documentation page.

Excellent,  thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiser133 said:

I tried fiddling with the color knob a bit on arrived here. Note the green smear on the bottom left hand of screen. 

20210114_170221.jpg

I just bought a shielded s video cable made by monster that I hope does the trick. I really have no other ideas at this point. Could the uav board be bad?

Edited by Cruiser133