IGNORED

Color issue on 7800

Cruiser133

14 hours ago, Cruiser133 said:

I just bought a shielded s video cable made by monster that I hope does the trick. I really have no other ideas at this point. Could the uav board be bad?

Now the green I can see and I thought I noticed it in the earlier pics but you didn't mention it so I wasn't sure if that again was a result of a reflection or the moire pattern on the screen. I've not seen anything like that before to be honest and I've installed.... a lot of UAVs into 7800. I have had about 3 bad UAVs over the past 2 years. Two of them I was able to fix myself by just reheating all the solder points to all the components on the boards. But I really haven't seen anything like that.

Does it show up on both composite and s-vid? Did you leave the RF modulator intact so you can see if it is present there as well?

NM I see you removed the RF modulator in your first set of pics. So... I can't say for sure, but you might try lightly pressing down on parts of the UAV chips to see if anything changes?

23 minutes ago, Cruiser133 said:

Composite is not working from the UAV board, there may be a bad connection I have to flesh out...

If composite isn't working from the UAV that pretty much tells me there is a problem with the UAV itself. There ins't anything there to flesh out on the wiring. You have a ground on either side of the outputs that you can use. The composite video out is right after the ground attachment out on the left side. Nothing needs adjusted etc and composite out should just work like it does on the s-vid. So yeah unless you have a short on your output wiring, the composite should be functional.

I've not messed with this, but I suppose it is also possible that if you have anything shorted on the input side of the UAV that it might produce some weird behavior like this? Most of the time if you don't have it wired up right, you just nothing at all or black n white only or something more obvious.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

but I suppose it is also possible that if you have anything shorted on the input side of the UAV that it might produce some weird behavior like this? Most of the time if you don't have it wired up right, you just nothing at all or black n white only or something more obvious.

Maybe a very small solder bridge between two of the luma signals, either on the UAV inputs, where the signals are picked up on the 7800 board, or perhaps a solder fragment around a couple pins of SMD components on the UAV itself? 

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Maybe a very small solder bridge between two of the luma signals, either on the UAV inputs, where the signals are picked up on the 7800 board, or perhaps a solder fragment around a couple pins of SMD components on the UAV itself? 

But see I would think that anything like that would result in a full screen anomaly and not just a small section of the screen image doing it? If he can get the composite sorted and verify if he sees is there as well, or even if he can't get the composite working, then it points to a possible issue with the UAV itself in someway. I've got one now that displays a super dark picture that I've been meaning to mail back to MacRorie for sometime to check it out and possibly get replaced out. Just haven't done it as I've been busy with other stuff.

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But see I would think that anything like that would result in a full screen anomaly and not just a small section of the screen image doing it? If he can get the composite sorted and verify if he sees is there as well, or even if he can't get the composite working, then it points to a possible issue with the UAV itself in someway. I've got one now that displays a super dark picture that I've been meaning to mail back to MacRorie for sometime to check it out and possibly get replaced out. Just haven't done it as I've been busy with other stuff.

Would you mind messaging him this thread and see if he has any ideas? I would really appreciate it. I may just buy another board and start over I guess..

He is a member here on AA under the user name @MacRorie. Currently the TBA shop is in hiatus due to illnesses. Although I don't know if he would respond you could also try reaching out to the original designing and creator of the UAV @Bryan. At least to see if he has seen something similar and might have an idea?

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth - I had a previous 7800 console that would show faint shadow lines similar to this one. But that one was using a straight transistor/two resistors composite mod, and it turned out it was the transistor was overdriving the signal and the tv couldn't handle it, but a later purchased TV worked fine from the same console. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

For what it's worth - I had a previous 7800 console that would show faint shadow lines similar to this one. But that one was using a straight transistor/two resistors composite mod, and it turned out it was the transistor was overdriving the signal and the tv couldn't handle it, but a later purchased TV worked fine from the same console. 

I will try to find another tv with s video to test out that theory,  thanks!

You have only see this color smudges on 7800 games correct? If you put in a normal 2600 game do you still get these color smudges? Pitfall or something else with a lot of solid color background would be a good one to use to check.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You have only see this color smudges on 7800 games correct? If you put in a normal 2600 game do you still get these color smudges? Pitfall or something else with a lot of solid color background would be a good one to use to check.

Great suggestion.  I just tried several 2600 games and the color is perfect...

I have tried choplifter on the concerto and the actual game and it does the same thing. I have noticed when the concerto goes through the boot up process with the flashing colors I did not notice any smudging. I then tried some homebrew games and the smudges are faint and on the opposite side of the screen. Do you think the Maria chip is going bad?

2 hours ago, Cruiser133 said:

I just installed a separate composite mod board totally separate from the uav and using the old rf pads and I am still not getting composite signal. Could this be related?

I can't see how as the UAV produces its own composite signal from the actual video signals off the Maria and color burst from the TIA. So I can see something wrong with the UAV that might not produce composite but I can see installing a separate comp boar and that not working also...

Unless there is a problem with the sync signal perhaps from off of the 74LS32 chip just above the Maria? I've had one of those go bad before and it was only providing me with a black n white picture output or sometimes just scattered graphics as if a Sync issue was taking place. I'm not saying that is what is happening here, but as you can't get composite from two different video upgrade boards, that points to something on the 7800 at fault and my first guess is sync.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I finally gave up on that 7800 and bought another off of fleabay.  The new unit came pretty dirty and the buttons were sketchy so I cleaned it then hit up console 5 and the brewing academy for some goodies. After everything came in, I got to work. I replaced the motherboard buttons, recapped it and added a high output power regulator and rgb led. A new uav was added with sound mod and a European bios conversion kit. I now have rf, composite and s video options and pokey sounds great. Picture is outstanding and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I do have an issue with asteroids not working but the bios appears to work fine as I no longer have the atari delay when booting up. Anybody have any ideas?

20210208_160026.jpg

Edited by Cruiser133