IGNORED

Sega Megadrive to Atari 7800 adaptor [available]

Muddyfunster

What is it ?

It's an adaptor that lets you plug a Sega MegaDrive / Genesis control pad or arcade stick into the Atari 7800 and use 2 buttons, just like a regular 7800 pad or stick. (pretty much the same as a Seagul78)

I made one for myself and have some PCB's and parts left so I've made up some additional units.

I have 2x "straight" versions built which need an extender cable as the 7800 joystick ports are angled down.

I also have a single "angled" version that plugs straight into the 7800 (or an extender cable). I would always suggest using an extender though.

Price would be £16 + postage/shipping. (thinking this will be of more interest to folks in UK / Europe)

If you are interested, PM me, I have 3 units made up ready with parts for a few more if there is any interest. I do not plan any long production run, just planning to use up the components that I have. They are fully assembled and heat shrink wrapped (in MuddyVision Red :) ! ) ready to plug in and use.

Cheers,

43B20D96-0A30-44B7-A2FE-A6CF235BA768 (2).JPG

IMG_7576 (1).jpg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Wow, that's awesome! And thanks for releasing the project under an open license, providing schematics, etc.

Both you and this project are a gift to the community, Lewis. ?

Mike, Thanks for the kind words, but the credit for the design and for releasing it under an open license should go to Tor-Eirik Bakke Lunde.

He's the guy behind this design and kindly released it publicly for makers and hobbyists (his github page is a makers paradise :) - that's his initials on the board "tebl" ).

I just followed his documentation.

• Like 1

It is a nice device for anyone who needs one. If anyone wanted something like this after it sells out, there is an equivalent functioning design that has been out there for many years for anyone to build.

I used it awhile back to mod some genesis compatible controllers for the 7800 so the design is sound and has been tested.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, john_q_atari said:

It is a nice device for anyone who needs one. If anyone wanted something like this after it sells out, there is an equivalent functioning design that has been out there for many years for anyone to build.

I used it awhile back to mod some genesis compatible controllers for the 7800 so the design is sound and has been tested.

Nice, I considered doing a straight controller mod too but then figured I might want to use it on the Mega Drive again and an adaptor was easier for me and less permanent.

The design you linked is electrically identical to the one I used for the adaptor I think. The creator of my version laid out the requirements like lego so novices like me can build one :)

Still have parts available for a few more of these if anyone is interested.

• Like 1