IGNORED

GSX

Kyle22

@tschak909@drac030 @flashjazzcat @_The Doctor__Look here: https://www.seasip.info/Cpm/gsx.html

GSX could travel over SIO to a dedicated software on Atari.

Think GEM on the 8 bit. Could this functionality be added to SDX?

Edit: and for fast Z80, not 68K. Think SIO protocol like RDP, XClient / XServer. :)

Edited by Kyle22
This is about CP/M for FujiNet.

43 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

@tschak909@drac030 @flashjazzcat @_The Doctor__Look here: https://www.seasip.info/Cpm/gsx.html

GSX could travel over SIO to a dedicated software on Atari.

Think GEM on the 8 bit. Could this functionality be added to SDX?

Edit: and for fast Z80, not 68K. Think SIO protocol like RDP, XClient / XServer. :)

interesting idea, am very familiar with GSX (and GKS)...dunno how the data transfer bottleneck would work in practice, but would be interesting for someone to experiment with. :)

-Thom

• Like 1

The Atari would be a GSX GSI0 graphics card, most of the GSX functions translate well to the Atari in the line drawing a fill departments. For vectors and the like SIO speeds would not be a problem, for other things there might be some slow down. Thankfully with the way CP/M handled terminals and displays this is indeed all possible.

I'd suspect once the other parts of fujinet are completed (while fresh in the mind of the coding parties involved) that this branch of fujinet form and function will prove enjoyable, icing to the cake so to speak, and if future fujinet incarnations go the eci/pbi hybrid sio route (think avg like sio link) in the future speed and function would increase.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:52 PM, Kyle22 said:

I want an 800 card.

:)

That would be cool, definitely. But I could use a PBI version on both my 1200XL and 800 now, so I don't have to worry about if someone ever uses the 800 internal slots for anything or not!:cool: It would definitely make things neater than a chain of PBI devices out the back though...but then I'm going to make my own PBI device box for multiple PBI devices in the near future.:music:

Edited by Gunstar

OK. Make a card in 800 form factor that has a PBI port right inline w/ Incog's port. Use slot for stability and power if needed.

For XL users all you need is a case and possible power supply for it. Just have a PBI ribbon cable coming out of the case.

It can work both ways.

Edit: and put a daisy chain PBI port on the back of the card as well for future devices.

Edited by Kyle22

For the sake of Posterity, a colleague Sebastian Haubental, pointed me to another hacker who reverse engineered and wrote a set of GSX drivers for HP26XX graphics mode, and a couple of others... putting them here:

Interestingly enough, they're written in FORTRAN...

Something can be gleaned here for future use.

GSX-80-DDPS.zip GSX-80-DDHP26XX.zip GSX-80-DDMF.zip

• Like 1