IGNORED

Pokeymax version 3 preorder

foft

On 5/11/2021 at 6:49 PM, Mr Robot said:

Are there wiring instructions for a 1088XEL?

Unless things have changed, I've been told these will not work in the XEL or XLD because of a keyboard scan rate issue.  That prevents the TK-II (PS/2 keyboard) interface from working.  @mytek if this has changed, please let me know.

The special firmware is for the chip select handling. In the XEL it has a built in pokey upgrade, which looks at A5 and changes CS1 on the pokey sockets appropriately. This is no good for pokeymax since it'd only be active for the first pokey. So the firmware change ignores CS1. 

As for the XEL keyboard scan. I did some work to make this much more closely match the Atari keyboard scan. I verified that it does work with the TKII adaptor for the XEGS. There are a few things that are imperfect. Notably keyboard repeat does not work smoothly.

I'm still keen for work to improve the TKII firmware as well. Essentially to provide need tighter timing on the response of KR1 and KR2, which is tricky since they are software controlled.

• Like 1

Nobody confirmed that PokeyMAX v3 without the box is fine, I am still awaiting boxes - customs clearance is taking 3 weeks so far. I am depressed with it, because many of you await their packages! If anyone do not need a beautiful box, I can ship immediately.

Also - wiring diagram is being prepared, I am so sorry for this delay.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duddie said:

Nobody confirmed that PokeyMAX v3 without the box is fine, I am still awaiting boxes - customs clearance is taking 3 weeks so far. I am depressed with it, because many of you await their packages! If anyone do not need a beautiful box, I can ship immediately.

Also - wiring diagram is being prepared, I am so sorry for this delay.

No rush, it will be awesome when they arrive. 

Kind regards, 

Klas

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Panther said:

I'm thinking that maybe the pins start out the same as the previous versions (left, right, mixed, ground), so I'll probably just see if I get output from those.

No it’s different. I have a diagram I can post but I think @Duddie tidied it up and put it in the user guide.

This is the pinout for pokeymax v3.

Ignore the EXT9 connection, this is not implemented. Currently EXT9,10,11 are unused.

Note that audin1/2 are dc coupled. In many Atari systems pbi audio in and sio audio in are internally connected. So it’s possible to pick up from there (after the ac coupling cap) and then ground the other input.

With nothing connected it will run as a mono pokey.

The user guide for v2 is here, though it is not yet updated for v3: http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeymax_user_guide_1_0.pdf

The common dev guide is here:

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeymax_dev_122.pdf

The common config tool is here (needs address lines connected):

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeycfg_1_1.xex

Happy to answer install questions on the thread.

AD50B589-5CFF-4E5B-B85C-2948EC25A389.jpeg

• Like 3

Will this schematic equal a guide?  I am curious about getting one of these but not sure how to add it.  My experience is limited.  I have added U1MB and Sophia 2 to my 800xl but there are many guides online that helped.  I cannot find Pokeymax 3 guides or I am just bad at looking for them.

For the 1088XEL there is a special core to ignore CS1. It also uses pin 37 of pokey socket 1 and 2 for stereo audio out. So the idea is to put pokeymax into slot one, then wire the AUD2 R to the plot socket 2 pin 37.

The rest of the install is as with other systems.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the new circuit diagram. I would like it to be clearly comprehensible. So you know where a wiring of U1mb has to go and GTIA, like Covox, Sid and so on. Above all, I would like to know what Aud is in for and where you can pick it up at the PBI and SIO at the Atari, which capacitors you may need for audio and what you can do with AUD in everything. Above all, I need to know if the PokeyMax automatically recognizes stereo and you can do without a switch and if you can operate Covox to different addresses and where the wiring must be attached to the Atari. The 5V and GND should also be shown exactly on the plan. This will not be easy for beginners. Therefore, it should be clear and clearly understandable for everyone. Creating such a guide will certainly not be easy. I wish you a happy success.

To answer these questions in the short term.

U1MB: There is a pokeymax plugin which communicates via the data bus. No wiring is needed.

GTIA audio output: connect to pin 15 of GTIA - C014889 chip.

AUDIN:

What it is: In the pokeymax there is a mixer which mixes the digital audio output and two analog inputs. The two analog inputs are mixed to both left and right outputs.

What it is for: Allowing hearing SIO 'interference' noise on the external audio outputs ('tch tch tch' when sio beeping is turned off). Allowing hearing SIO tape sound tracks. Allowing hearing misc PBI audio devices - I don't know any, but for instance someone could make a DAB+ PBI device?

How to connect: It was intended to connect them directly to the input pin for SIO and PBI audio in. I have been advised that they are in fact internally connected without a proper mixer on many of the Atari PCBs so are better picked up from a single point. This will vary depending on which system you have. 

My suggestion: Ground one of them, connect the other to the SIO audio in pin via a 1uF capacitor (optional, but may prevent issues with dc bias on some sio devices).

Stereo/mono switching:

Pokeymax has three features for this.

i) It detects when the right channel is silent for a short period and automatically plays the left channel to both channels. 

ii) It detects if A4 is connected or not (on power on). When not connected it goes into a basic mono mode.

iii) 'Chips' may be disabled in software using the 'RESTRICT' register. This is the feature that the U1MB plugin uses.

Covox address:

This is fixed at 0xD280. If you want to make it available elsewhere then you will need to add your own logic to do so.

Device orientation:

This matches pokeymax v2 orientation, see the images in user guide v1. Pin1 is in the top left of the diagram I posted above.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1