IGNORED

HSC18 Round 2: BLUE MAX

Castle Wolfenstein is a great game of exploration and evasion.   To find a uniform off a guard or chest, and equip with weapons.  Then it becomes all about avoiding the SS that seem to recognize you if you are in inform or not.   Played that game for hours.

Game I don't like?   Plenty of them.   I think M.U.L.E. is one that many raved about that I just couldn't get into.   Cute game though.

Many, many others I don't play.  Maybe most of them.  :P    But just so happens I have Blue Max on a cart and I've played it a lot recently.  Not with gravity, that was new.

Out of those we've played in the HSC in recent years, the ones I remember liking the least were .. (drum roll) .. Star Raiders and The Last Starfighter. I know I'm cussing in church now, but neither of these two games were to my liking. However I agree that Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolftenstein are quite unplayable too, in particular due to how they reload most of the game when you die, giving it a very rough experience.

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Out of those we've played in the HSC in recent years, the ones I remember liking the least were .. (drum roll) .. Star Raiders and The Last Starfighter....

It's ok for everyone to have opinions, even if they are wrong.   :P   j/k

Star Raiders... that is eight bit perfection right there.   Can't even play devil's advocate on that one, and I normally can to see another side.  But different strokes for different folks.    You are probably used to Elite on the Commodore 64 which was an awesome game, and released in late 1984.   Star Raiders was released in 1979.  ?   

Last Starfighter, I think because it was also labeled a "Star Raiders II" lacked the 360 degree immersive world.  But had other good elements, graphics, and ideas.  A good Last Starfighter movie game, but no Star Raiders.

Reload time on Castle Wolfenstein... ok, now you're reminding me of some childhood pain.

17 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Ok, I'll counter that statement with that M.U.L.E. is eight bit perfection as well. :D

Yeh seen the intro many times and kept it on in the background as I did stuff.   Loved a lot of the characters that Electronic Arts did from that game, Archon, and game I played a lot: Murder on the Zinderneuf.   I'm sure once I give M.U.L.E. more of a chance I'd like it.   Just hasn't grabbed me in the times I tried.

Anyway, out of those HSC games I nominated, I spent a total of 9 min on Castle Wolfenstein and 2 min on Beyond Castle Wolfenstein in November 2017, 4+8 = 12 min on Star Raiders in June 2018 and another 8 min on The Last Starfighter in May 2019. That was enough for me to find out these are not games I enjoy playing, so I moved on to do something else.

• Like 1

Argh I've just stared Atari Apocalypse, people criticising MULE and Star Raiders, don't make me make you play one of my games :grin:

We'll everyone seems to be improving except me! Still having fun and have left the demo mode running as I do the first tables for this round...

BLUE MAX

will check tables based on last times played so may change. Sure ranks are 1 is best 4 is worst, when I coded ranking and classes for Space Fortess Omega I used a various metrics for the rankings based on things hit/completed missions and anything I could. Wonder if BM Class 1 would be getting through the 3 stages in 1 pass so lower score would be better :ponder:

Blue Maxers

1st   doctorclu             BM4      7,030  12pts+3pts #*$

Squadron Leaders

2nd  Deteacher             SL2      9,940  11pts
  3rd   graywest              SL1      7,850  10pts

Flying Tigers

4th   McKong               FT1      7,250  9pts

Air Cadets and Runway Sweepers
  5th   thank you             AC1      5,790  9pts
  6th   therealbountybob   AC2      4,820  8pts
  7th   slx                       AC4      1,710  8pts
  8th   spookt                 AC4      1,450  7pts

9th   8bitguy1               RS1      1,350  7pts
 10th   RedThunder          AC4      1,330  6pts
 11th   Caco                   RS1      1,280  6pts
 12th   Gury                    RS1        930  5pts
 13th   chevymad            RS1        630  5pts
 14th   pusakat               RS2        550  4pts
 15th   Sikor                   RS1        500  4pts
 16th   carlsson               RS1        450  3pts
 17th   skr                      RS1        350  2pts

Kamikazee Trainees!

18th   CaptainClassic        KT1          0  2pts

Bonus Points:

#First to be awarded The Blue Max

*NTSC Top Player

$ High Score: doctorclu  10820 SL4

[edit]

found this in the HSC archives:

On 3/7/2010 at 6:53 PM, Mr.Amiga500 said:

11660 Class 4 Squadron Leader (higher score, lower class)

I went through the city 4 times to try to improve my score, but it looks like this lowers the class. So... I wonder how you can get the highest score and the highest class at the same time.

Edited by therealbountybob

Are we certain that FT is better than SL? I noticed that last time Blue Max was played in the HSC, that is how the scoring went, but someone with more experience in the game should be able to tell since the instructions are unclear and not even the source code at a quick glance could give any answer.

9 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Are we certain that FT is better than SL? I noticed that last time Blue Max was played in the HSC, that is how the scoring went, but someone with more experience in the game should be able to tell since the instructions are unclear and not even the source code at a quick glance could give any answer.

NO :grin: C'mon folks let's figure this out!!!

I found that the text strings are encoded with alternating upper nybble, i.e.:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 3a (green)
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 6a 6b 6c 6d 6e 6f 70 71 72 73 74 75 77 77 78 79 7a (cyan)
a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 a9 aa ab ac ad ae af b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 ba (red)
e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6 e7 e8 e9 ea eb ec ed ee ef f0 f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 fa (blue)

Apparently there are numbers 0-9 and symbols like # within range 00-1F as well, but I concentrated on the letters.

It means in the binary file MAX.2 that comes with the source code, we have the following strings:

NOVICE

ADVANCED

NORMAL CTRL

REVERSE CTRL

NO GRAVITY

INTERMEDIATE

RANK

Z CLASS

[ BLUE MAX in plain text ]

BY BOB POLIN
HCI

SYNAPSE

QYXS

OPTIONS

KAMIKAZE TRAINEE
RUNWAY SWEEPER
AIR CADET
FLYING TIGER
SQUADRON LEADER

Since the strings are found in this order, it makes sense that the ranks are in the same order too.

Of course it would mean that therealbountybob and firestorm each stole 3 points from McKong, Tickled_Pink and 8BIT1337 back in 2015 but that is 6 years ago and history now.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

NO :grin: C'mon folks let's figure this out!!!

I've only once received the "Flying Tiger" rank. I do remember that I got that rank after making it through the city, destroying the three bases, but then crashing before returning home.

The way the ranks/classes are calculated in this game just feels super weird and somewhat random to me. I keep testing different theories, but nothing pans out. ? I'd say it's based more on what you *do* rather than your final score. Destroying some/all of the bases in the city seems to be a requirement for getting anything higher than "Air Cadet".

And I *know* I've ranked "Blue Max" in this game before, but I played dozens of times this week, beating the game more than once, but haven't gotten anything higher than "Squadron Leader". ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Since the strings are found in this order, it makes sense that the ranks are in the same order too.

Of course it would mean that therealbountybob and firestorm each stole 3 points from McKong, Tickled_Pink and 8BIT1337 back in 2015 but that is 6 years ago and history now.

Damn it, I thought I'd got away with it :evil:

Crash Test Dummy :thumbsup: nice work carlsson, think you are earing a bonus point!

Table above edited re rank order.

Got to city stage for 1st time, bombed 2 of 3 targets I saw, 5,630 AC3 missed photo by 1 second!

• Like 4

OK, I'll jump in on the Castle Wolfenstein topic:  I love the game.  Beyond Castle Wolfenstein is pretty awesome too (but a lot harder!)

I love holding up the guards, taking their stuff, then killing them.  ?

If you have the war plans in your possession when you die, you might as well start with a brand new map, because the plans don't respawn.  Gotta start over.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Damn it, I thought I'd got away with it :evil:

Crash Test Dummy :thumbsup: nice work carlsson, think you are earing a bonus point!

Table above edited re rank order.

Got to city stage for 1st time, bombed 2 of 3 targets I saw, 5,630 AC3 missed photo by 1 second!

Yeah, I forgot that this is one of those games that doesn’t display your high score, or your score for very long after a game over. I need to remember where the hot key is for Taking screenshots (of of the  many advantages of playing on emulator than real hardware.) I don’t really have space right now to hook up my 800 or 800XL anyway.

8 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Blue Maxers

1st   doctorclu             BM4      7,030  12pts+3pts #*$

I thought at first with the "#*$" that  you were cussing my score like Q-Bert.  :D

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

I found that the text strings are encoded with alternating upper nybble, i.e.:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d 2e 2f 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 3a (green)
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 6a 6b 6c 6d 6e 6f 70 71 72 73 74 75 77 77 78 79 7a (cyan)
a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 a9 aa ab ac ad ae af b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 ba (red)
e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6 e7 e8 e9 ea eb ec ed ee ef f0 f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 fa (blue)

This was cool!!   Have to see if I can find it.  :D

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Alternative rank:

blue-max-crashtestdummy.thumb.png.1a0ec5f6745dc5cd523e86784e23e810.png

Yes, I found out that the upper nybble isn't random, it defines the colour used for each letter!

When I first saw this I was wondering why I never got the "Crash Test Dummy".   That is actually quite amazing.   LOL

• Like 3

5 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Have to see if I can find it.

If you open the XEX in a hex editor, at $0E31 the first string KAMIKAZE begins ($AB $A1 $AD $A9 $AB etc). Use the guide above to determine which character has which code, and as you see there are four text colours to choose from but the original strings may be encoded in only one of those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

3320.  My progress continues.  It's frustrating though...when I take damage it seems like its almost always bombs and then I can't get any points.

You can then switch to strafing from a distance but yes it's a battle of wills! Needs a lot of goes but then you do start to survive better. Plenty of time left in this round, next poll will start on Sunday :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

You can then switch to strafing from a distance but yes it's a battle of wills! Needs a lot of goes but then you do start to survive better. Plenty of time left in this round, next poll will start on Sunday :)

In this game with the gravity and trying to strafe I looked like flappy bird bobbing up and down. :P

2 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Okay, last run for at least a few days...still haven't got to this "city" you all speak of.  Literally crashed into an enemy plane here!!! I was rolling too!

Those planes.   All kinds of three dimensional space and they happen to hit you.  But let's just be honest, they are really just World War I cruise missiles essentially.