IGNORED

The Atari Report - 7800 Edition - Episode 1 - UniWarS

BIGHMW

1 minute ago, Jinks said:

The first wave the bullets should be easier to see. I agree with that point. 

Great job for your first review. Lots of energy.

It is not as easy at it looks making videos. ?

Just be yourself,  have fun and keep it real. ?

Thanks! Actually it's my first review on 7800 games, and the same thing for the 8-bit computers/XEGS as well. I had already put up 11 previous episodes of both the 2600 and 5200 Editions each, and I'd love to invite you to subscribe to the channel as well. I promised all of my fans that I'd be putting up more content on more platforms than ever before and this is proof.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

Me and my friend were playing it and both agree that the bullets are very hard to see. Has anyone brought that up to Bob on the thread? 

I was afraid on alienating him or even offending him, even though that was never intended to be the case. I already have enough issues being able to relay my good intentions on a keyboard as opposed to doing it either in person or verbally.

16 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I was afraid on alienating him or even offending him, even though that was never intended to be the case. I already have enough issues being able to relay my good intentions on a keyboard as opposed to doing it either in person or verbally.

One of us will let him know don't worry.

Brian tag your it!  lol! ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AtariBrian said:

Me and my friend were playing it and both agree that the bullets are very hard to see. Has anyone brought that up to Bob on the thread? 

What sort of display are you using?

Reason I ask is that I'm testing on a CRT, and they're pretty visible.

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I myself use a 2015-built Insignia 39" LED monitor/receiver and an HDMI hookup from a Sony STR-DH590 home theater receiver.

Hmmm...

For the enemy shots, I only have a choice of 4 colors, and 2 of those colors change per wave... (actually that's true for all objects)

Let me see what I can do...

Thank you for the review!

I've had this complaint as well about Berzerk / Frenzy, although it's too late for that one.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Agreed.  Under a CRT bullets are perfectly visible...

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I've had this complaint as well about Berzerk / Frenzy, although it's too late for that one.

...ditto with Berzerk/Frenzy. ;)

Issue here is a modern display and how well/poorly it (and other involved components) upscales and what kind of signal it is receiving as source.

For instance, a 7800 output from a UAV video mod via S-Video is perfectly visible as well.  I can vouch for that to my Samsung 4K.

RF/Composite though, straight to a modern HD display or via a converter (and the quality thereof in itself and managing the source signal), may not perform nearly as well. 

Arguments can be made both ways regarding stock and intended target hardware.  Certainly, any accommodation that can be made, Bob, would be wonderful.  At the same time though, supporting both your vision for this game and everyone's setup display configuration may be a bit much, if even possible, to achieve an idealistic appearance of everything in the game.

From that video though, I distinguish the enemy bullets from the first wave perfectly fine without a need to enlarge it.  I would imagine when viewed live, it is even clearer and easier on the eyes.  At a bit of a loss on how the bullets are difficult to see:

image.png.f2043e457c9ae37111bebc600e19a0d9.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Agreed.  Under a CRT bullets are perfectly visible...

...ditto with Berzerk/Frenzy. ;)

Issue here is a modern display and how well/poorly it (and other involved components) upscales and what kind of signal it is receiving as source.

For instance, a 7800 output from a UAV video mod via S-Video is perfectly visible as well.  I can vouch for that to my Samsung 4K.

RF/Composite though straight to a modern HD display or via a converter (and the quality thereof in itself and managing the source signal), may not perform nearly as well. 

Arguments can be made both ways regarding stock and intended target hardware.  Certainly, any accommodation that can be made, Bob, would be wonderful.  At the same time though, supporting both your vision for this game and everyone's setup display configuration may be a bit much, if even possible, to achieve an idealistic appearance of everything in the game.

Was going to say I've seen this on modern displays but only through the RF side of things. Also the display itself matters as those with higher refresh panels will not have as much blur on motion as others. I could be wrong, but I know that Bob has an older AV mod in his personal 7800 for testing things so it is possible he isn't using RF output anymore to know about this being an issue or not.

• Like 1

Yeah, modern displays do a fairly awful job of dealing with analogue RF input.  Of the three HD TVs we have (all Samsungs from the 2012, 2013, and 2016 model ranges), you can watch the decline of RF input quality from 2012 (best) to 2016 (worst, and appallingly bad).

The problem here is that LCD TVs don't process signals in the same way from manufacturer to manufacturer, so it's impossible to come up with a silver bullet that will make things workable for every TV out there.  As general rules of thumb, however:

• Expect that the picture settings used for movies, sports, etc. will not be suitable for gaming
  • Refresh rates may cause picture elements (not pixels exclusively) to have a reduced or absent appearance
  • Colour temperature settings are likely to need adjustment
  • There's no escaping LED/LCD element reaction times

In short, expect to do a lot of experimentation with the TV's picture settings.  Even then, there's no guarantee since the A2D conversion quality is likely out of your hands.

I've been using my UAV modded 7800 to test with my CRT and the shots looks great. I switched to testing with RF to my CRT and its true that its hard to recognize the shots. Sorry, I should have tested with RF and will keep this in mind going forward. 

My setup, in which all 4 of my units are standard non-modded RF units, is all run through an RF-to-HDMI converter (with built-in analog tuner), hooked up to a multi-HDMI switcher (input 2 on it, used for that RF-to-HDMI analog TV receiver), outputted to a Sony STR-DH590 a/v receiver, then to my late-2015 Insignia LED HDTV.

So you guys say it just might be my TV that is at fault after hearing most of you guys use a CRT unit to play your games on.

3 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

So you guys say it just might be my TV that is at fault after hearing most of you guys use a CRT unit to play your games on.

It's not that your TV is at fault, it's just that LCD/LED TV's work differently to old style CRTs.

I have a nice Commodore CRT monitor but I don't use it as I don't have the space on my desk with my different systems, so my Samsung LCD stuck on the wall does just fine :)

4 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

It's not so much that the TV is at fault as it is the TV is just doing what the TV does, which doesn't necessarily match up to what a CRT would show.

See my post above for suggestions on things to tweak on the TV.  Can't guarantee they'll work for you, but they're a decent starting point at least.

4 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Well admittedly, my RF-to-HDMI converter has its own independent set of color/tint/brightness/contrast controls so you can set up only what you have hooked up to it without messing up the TV's own settings used for displaying other components.

Right, but even if you do that, the TV's settings are still going to affect the picture from the RF-to-HDMI converter.

Can your TV do picture settings that are different for each input?  Some can; no idea if Insignia supported that or not, though.

Well as an example on the equipment I have. All of my RF consoles are a magnitude darker overall on  my Sony LED/LCD in the game room. Some colors completely just aren't there when using RF. It was the main reason I first looked into AV upgrades for my classic consoles. I do have access to a few CRTs and even use a small 9" on my workbench, but for the bulk of my gaming, I wanted a larger display that I could use for both classic and modern systems. The ITC game room is pretty small compared to most so I always knew that trying to have both a decent size CRT and a modern flatpanel for high def stuff wasn't going to be possible. 

But as has been mentioned, with a UAV in place, I don't have these issues any longer through my setup and can keep the TV at a setting that works for all consoles at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Right, but even if you do that, the TV's settings are still going to affect the picture from the RF-to-HDMI converter.

Can your TV do picture settings that are different for each input?  Some can; no idea if Insignia supported that or not, though.

I don't think so, I don't know, but I only use one HDMI input (from the output of the STR-DH590 a/v receiver) to the TV and that's it. my HDMI multi-switcher does not have that it simply switches the input.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I always keep that in mind when adjusting the controls onboard the RF-to-HDMI box I use, I never try to mess around with the TV's own controls as to not effect the great display on other components I already have hooked up to it (DVD/Blu Ray player, VCR, digital tuner, MP4 player, etc.)

It seems like the gaming systems I own have a different picture quality of their own so I adjust only those on that converter's own controls. 

• Like 1