IGNORED

1090XL remake

kenames99

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dely said:

What does the RS232 connector pinout look like? Is it compatible with the 850, or perhaps current standards known from PCs?

I am reviewing that right now.  It appears that something is wrong with the pinouts as the schematic shows pin 1 as DTR when I believe pin 1 should be DCD.  So, I am trying to figure this out before getting the boards made.  Pins 2 and 4 don't match the standards, either.

rs232.thumb.jpg.57cb8511c7c861653415c5588f0752ce.jpg

Update:   I think I found the problem and it should now be fixed.

rs232fixed.thumb.jpg.953f027a995a77e06caef4891cdd6b61.jpg

2nd Update:

I've now determined that mystery 26 pin header, on the left side of the card, is the 2nd RS232 port.  A picture shows what looks like wire wrap on that header.  It turns out it's configured to loop back.  🙂

So, the most likely configuration was as follows:

P:  DB25 connector

R1:  DB9 connector

R2:  26 pin header

Edited by reifsnyderb

Posted (edited)

After a question about the serial port wiring, on FaceBook, I did some more searching.  The DB-9 connector was originally wired as per the Atari 850's pinout.  I changed it to an RS-232 pinout as I mistakenly thought the schematic was mistaken.  I wasn't aware that Atari used a slightly different pinout on the serial ports.  I hope I didn't make a mistake by changing the wiring to the RS-232 standard.  On the other hand, maybe it will be more compatible with available devices?

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Is there a driver for this? I can't remember if a prototype one leaked out.  

Yes.  There was some ROM uploaded to the Atari Museum at one time.  I have the code.  It is partially disassembled and, thus far, appears to be correct.

The PLD code is missing.  However, with the information available I think I've mostly re-created it.  Once I have the boards, I'll finish the re-creation of the PLD code.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

Hello Bryan

5 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

I hope I didn't make a mistake by changing the wiring to the RS-232 standard.  On the other hand, maybe it will be more compatible with available devices?

Would it be an option to make this selectable, via some sort of switch?  Or via a couple of wires and some jumper pins?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS apparently, Atari brought out the 850 before the RS232 standard was finalized.  That's why the pin out they used was different, I was told.

20 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Bryan

Would it be an option to make this selectable, via some sort of switch?  Or via a couple of wires and some jumper pins?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS apparently, Atari brought out the 850 before the RS232 standard was finalized.  That's why the pin out they used was different, I was told.

Hello,

Well, I figured out that long J3 header, on the left side of the board, is the 2nd RS232 port.  So, you could connect it however you want and connect it to either a DB25 or DB9 connector. 

I suppose, if this all works out, the long term solution would be to have a more advanced parallel/serial card.  But there would have to be a decent amount of interest.

Best Regards,

Brian

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Forrest said:

There’s an interesting story behind the 2nd-4th serial ports on the Atari 850 - they were designed to communicate with model railroad switches! 

I read the story somewhere.  This card has 2 serial ports and one parallel port.  Each serial port has it's own 6551.  I think this card has full RS232 support.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Geister said:

Where's the prototyping card and the serial card on ebay or tindie?

What does it cost to populate that Apple II motherboard on your ebay store?

I have the prototyping board here:  https://www.tindie.com/products/5cfab/prototyping-board-for-the-atari-1090xl/

I have no idea what it costs to populate the Apple II board.  I was thinking about building one but didn't get around to it.  Many of the chips either need to be donated from an Apple II Plus and/or rounded up used as they are no longer available.  I do have a project to build an Apple II Plus type board, that takes modern chips, but haven't gotten back to it.

Edited by reifsnyderb

On 7/8/2024 at 5:18 AM, TwiliteZoner said:

stay safe David. 

Thank you TwiliteZoner.

After eight and half days without any electricity, phones, or internet; things are back to normal.  Our whole house Genrac generator quit on the first day.

My wife says (on her IPad) that there are dozens of other Generac owners that are complaining about the same thing.  When I finally got through to Generac (all the

local towers were out for three days), they said to call our local Generac authorized dealer for warranty work.  Of course, all the phones are dead so that

took another two days.  When I finally got through to the company, they said that they had over 400 calls before me and that it would take a week or more

before they could get to mine.  As far as damage went; none to the house, but we had a large branch (about 6" in dia.) from a tree in the back yard break off.  It

is really a sight to see tall trees being whipped around buy 90 mph (145 kpm) winds.  Well, now starts the cleanup.

DavidMil2  

• Like 1

Wow - sorry to hear that.  I'm surprised to hear about the generator issues - I thought that brand was nearly indestructible.  My neighbours has one.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue?

On 7/17/2024 at 3:54 PM, Stephen said:

Wow - sorry to hear that.  I'm surprised to hear about the generator issues - I thought that brand was nearly indestructible.  My neighbours has one.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue?

Not sure yet.  (Sorry for the slow response: we were a victim of the software glitch, so the internet and phones went down 15 minutes after I posted the previous message.  Both just came up about

an hour ago).  It seems to be something in inside the Generac.  It will start, but it sounds and feels/looks (engine is shacking on the motor mounts) like it's missing on one

cylinder and after a few seconds you can smell natural gas. So I shut off the gas and I'm waiting...

Here is a picture of the front metal where I had to stop. 

DavidMil2 

Front Metal.JPG

• Like 3

hi David,

I am looking at the picture you posted just above and see it has too many ICs installed! only 1 of those on the right side of that photo should be installed. the other is an optional IC if you prefer a different driver IC. please remove one or the other. the same is true of the other ICs on the other side of the board, there is optional , well, options.  use either the 74LS244 drivers or the 74LS541 drivers but not both! I have attached a photo of my working 1090XL for reference.

Ken

PS: hope everything returns to normal there in a reasonable timeframe.

PXL_20240720_220723420.jpg

It was for a remote power switch and remote LED.  A switch could go between pins 1 and 2.  A power LED, and resistor would go between pins 3 and 4.

J7.thumb.jpg.88c0814a5bcf43e31193bd8445283451.jpg

I added it as an idea and removed it in newer versions.

55 minutes ago, DavidMil2 said:

Not sure yet.  (Sorry for the slow response: we were a victim of the software glitch, so the internet and phones went down 15 minutes after I posted the previous message.  Both just came up about

an hour ago).  It seems to be something in inside the Generac.  It will start, but it sounds and feels/looks (engine is shacking on the motor mounts) like it's missing on one

cylinder and after a few seconds you can smell natural gas. So I shut off the gas and I'm waiting...

Here is a picture of the front metal where I had to stop. 

DavidMil2 

Front Metal.JPG

Good catch, @kenames99!  I didn't look that carefully and was just looking at the case.  Yes, there are too many IC's in there.  If you have just the IC's closest to the slots, it should work.....assuming the PLD is properly programmed. 

Edited by reifsnyderb