IGNORED

1090XL remake

kenames99

Hi,

MIDIcar for 1090 finished but not tested yet (lack of 1090). I'll update with feedback soon (try to connect to A800XL using PBI and dupont wires).

BR, pancio

signal-2024-03-20-174323_002.thumb.jpeg.c3481dd4295d517e7d2e77106f7bbf02.jpeg

signal-2024-03-20-174323_004.jpeg

Edited by pancio
  • Like 7

Thank you @kenames99,

Additional feature on this board is TTL serial which may work with 125kbit/s and 2mbit/s - if we are using e.g. CH340C based RS<>USB 🙂

I'm during test MC with Covox on board, if it will work with Atari 800XL I'll prepare similar version for 1090 as well.

BR,

pancio

56 minutes ago, pancio said:

Hi,

MIDIcar for 1090 finished but not tested yet (lack of 1090). I'll update with feedback soon (try to connect to A800XL using PBI and dupont wires).

BR, pancio

signal-2024-03-20-174323_002.thumb.jpeg.c3481dd4295d517e7d2e77106f7bbf02.jpeg

signal-2024-03-20-174323_004.jpeg

Very Nice!  I hope you can test it soon!  If you address your card in the $D1xx range, you should go with $D1C0 or $D1E0. 

$D1C0 was reserved for speech, modem, and disk registers (presumably for the 1450XLD) but Atari didn't follow those rules.

$D1E0 was originally marked as reserved but Atari didn't follow their own rules and used it for the parallel/serial interface card anyhow.

$D1C0 is probably the safest but either $D1xx address should be safe.

Any address between $D100 and $D1AF could potentially be temporarily used by a present or future card as that address range is used when cards are activated by setting their device ID in $D1FF.

I am trying to only use addresses in the $D100-$D1AF range when a card has been activated.

Thank you for details, MC has address decoder for two ranges: $D1xx and $D5xx, $D580 is set as default but of course you may change it do another addresses window with $20 bytes step. So for sure we may avoid conflicts 🙂

BR,

pancio

Edited by pancio

Attached is the CPM Card remake up until the point where I had to guess on those two chips.  There's notes and other details in the files.  Some traces are guessed at, based on a belief as to what they do.  I figure I'll put this out there so it's available in the event the CPM card ever surfaces and the final details can be determined.

CPM Card From Pictures.zip

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here's another 1090 in the wild.  I just need to clean the flux and power test the board before inserting the ICs.  Excuse the laid over cap at C5 - they were too large to fit side by side and also, I had to cut the caps out of the cardboard/tape strips so I didn't rip the legs out.  In doing so, the leads were too short to adjust so the cap would sit farther to the side.

07.thumb.jpg.645671cdf5d78ec0a96946d4d840dd2a.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Here's another 1090 in the wild.  I just need to clean the flux and power test the board before inserting the ICs.  Excuse the laid over cap at C5 - they were too large to fit side by side and also, I had to cut the caps out of the cardboard/tape strips so I didn't rip the legs out.  In doing so, the leads were too short to adjust so the cap would sit farther to the side.

They make smaller diameter capacitors that will fit.  Because of differences in diameter, I ended up buying 2 sizes of the same capacitor.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Make sure you check the output of the voltage regulators prior to installing any cards.  I've had bad, brand new, voltage regulators.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kenames99 said:

here is a photo of mine using the exact same caps I sent you. they just have to be put in the board at the same time then soldered. but either way it will work fine.

Ken

PXL_20240425_212152751.jpg

Your C5 and C6 are physically smaller than the populated board @Stephen has shown. Both look quite usable however.

What will you use for a case? I found from experience that open boards can be damaged from above when random things fall on them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TZJB said:

Your C5 and C6 are physically smaller than the populated board @Stephen has shown. Both look quite usable however.

Yeah - there was absolutely no way those 2 caps would fit.  I did insert both before soldering, and there was about a quarter inch of "overlap".  Both caps would have been at an angle, or damaged if I forced them in place.  Not a big deal, I just wanted to mention it in case you were going to do a large order of parts.  My OCD will probably get the best of me, and I will order smaller caps but for now, this will suffice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

Make sure you check the output of the voltage regulators prior to installing any cards.  I've had bad, brand new, voltage regulators.

Definitely going to do a full voltage test on the board before I install the ICs.

3 hours ago, TZJB said:

What will you use for a case? I found from experience that open boards can be damaged from above when random things fall on them!

We don't have a case yet.  This is all a chicken/egg scenario.  The 1090XL, without cards, is useless.  Re-creating the 1090XL was a major project.  The cards, without the 1090XL, are useless.  Creating cards is a major project for each and every card.  The 1090XL also needs a case.  Designing and building a case is also a major project.  The very few people, who have created or re-created the cards and main board don't have a case.  Somebody, who has a case, is supposed to be getting all of the dimensions.  Hopefully, somebody will also soon release a 3d printed case.

The work that has been done, in a corporate scenario, most likely takes a team of at least 10 people and includes sub-contractors.

Edit to add:  Help wanted.  Please feel free to contribute.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 4