IGNORED

CSV data into SynCalc?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 3:40 PM, DjayBee said:

Is anyone keen to test this?

Syncalc 1985 48K+Axlon on (nearly) plain DOS 2.0S and DOS 2.0D (180k).

This has NOT been tested beyond basic addition, file saving and starting ofd the Visicalc converter.

So please don't feed it your tax declaration without a backup. ;)

It will work only on this exact version of DOS because it replaces several DOS routines with own code (NOTE, POINT, LOCK, UNLOCK, burst I/O, write DOS). The patch code has been added to the executable.

But on top of that DOS 2.0 unfortunately changes VSERIN and VSEROR to a location which is overwritten by Syncalc. Therefore this had to be patched out directly in DOS.SYS. Otherwise the loaded DOS binaries are plain.

I added sources for DOS as well, so you can check the changes yourself by diffing the files.

Syncalc1985-48k-Axlon-SD.atr 90.02 kB · 12 downloads Syncalc1985-48k-Axlon-DD.atr 179.64 kB · 12 downloads DOS20S-patched.txt 101.63 kB · 8 downloads DOS20S-source.txt 103.76 kB · 10 downloads

I would like to revive this thread and change the topic slightly, if that's OK with the forum. :)

I added a 130XE machine to my "Atari Laboratory" today. ? The first program I wanted to run is SynCalc. :) 

I tried the 1985 version modified by DjayBee, quoted above. This is what I have been using with my 1200XL and my XF551 drive. I thought I would see a lot more memory available but I still only see 21kB. :( :( Is that as-designed? Did I miss something?

The 1985 version from the Atari Wiki gives me a a whopping 85kB of usable memory space! Wow!!

Please try to read the beginning of the manual, RAM expansion cards are support, but not all. If just 48 KiB RAM is available, then 21 is correct. Anyway, we should focus on the incredible work from DjayBee and go on from there. Further, coming from the other side, the reverse engineering of the source code... Still much to do...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, luckybuck said:

Please try to read the beginning of the manual, RAM expansion cards are support, but not all. If just 48 KiB RAM is available, then 21 is correct. Anyway, we should focus on the incredible work from DjayBee and go on from there. Further, coming from the other side, the reverse engineering of the source code... Still much to do...

@luckybuck Forgive me if I sounded like I was complaining. :) I did not mean to come across like that. Yes, @DjayBee did some incredible work on SynCalc and the Atari community definitely owes him a a huge, huge thanks! ❤️ I have been using that version daily!

I was asking for clarification because I am a little confused. Maybe I missed something. I thought the 1985 version modified by @DjayBee would offer 85kB like the non-modified 1985 version but I only see 21kB on my 130XE. Is the modified version not work with the extra 130XE memory?

Thanks!

Then I must apologize, please continue with free speech in a still free world! Always!

The only way, we get the secrets around us. ;-)

With the 130XE the RAM must be 84 KiB! Without any doubt.

If you have a chance to copy the ATX back to a 'normal' disc, then please use the 1985 version only. Die version has the sticker below on it.

If you you don't have that free RAM, then a maybe RAM check is needed.

Pressing you both thumbs, it's just a software issue.

Btw. there are 5(?) different version even from the 1985 version alone...

DjayBee is really the working horse here...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-07 um 06.25.21.png

Edited by luckybuck

Syncalc 1985 contains three independent binaries on its disk (1983 contains two), of which I only converted one as some sort of PoC. It is at the same time the most universal, as it supports any Atari with at least 48k, and the most extreme variation, because it also supports up to 256k of Axlon memory.

I hoped to make this clear when I wrote this in bold:

Syncalc 1985 48K+Axlon on (nearly) plain DOS 2.0S and DOS 2.0D (180k).

;)

When I receive some more feedback that it works as intended, I will patch the other two binaries as well. One supports 800s with additional 4k of RAM at $C000-$CFFF and the other ist the 1985-exclusive one that supports 130XEs with 128k of RAM.

I gave Gunstar a slight push a few days ago to get his experience on the currently published version.

I did not patch the other two variations in the first place, because it is a lot of work which I want to do only once.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @DjayBee !!

Thank you for the insight and clarification! I did not realize how complicated the inner workings of SynCalc are. Now I understand better. :)

When I read your title, the first thing I saw was "1985". Without knowing there are separate binaries inside SynCalc, I thought the modification would support all 1985 memory modes AND 48k machines AND Axlon. We all see something different, I suppose. ? 

My experience with your modification (for what it may or may not be worth ;)) has been very positive. I am able to read and write both single density and double density disks without any problems. Also, I save *.DIF files to single density disks for import into SynGraph without any problems. My two drives are a XF551 and an unmodified 1050.

My experience is fairly narrow. I mostly track stock prices and values. Attached here is an example of some data, as a 180kB SSDD ATR file. Nothing special but you can see how I am exercising your modification.

Thanks again for all your work here! ?

SynCalc Stock Data.ATR