IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

So after a full day of prepping 55 packages, and discovering two tindie fees I didn't account for, I had to adjust the price from $24.99 to $29.99
Hope that doesn't put anybody out, I'm just kind of learning as I go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rbairos said:

So after a full day of prepping 55 packages, and discovering two tindie fees I didn't account for, I had to adjust the price from $24.99 to $29.99
Hope that doesn't put anybody out, I'm just kind of learning as I go.

It was cheap at $24.99 relative to any other homebrew cartridge I've bought in the past 5 years, and still less than pretty much anything else I've seen other than repro carts made in China.  So no big deal.  

How do we pay you the additional $5?

• Like 1

Yes, the price point is more than fair, no issues with that. My only gripe is with the randomness or blind luck element involved with trying to purchase one.

And that’s not impatience talking on my part either, as I don’t care if I missed the first batch, or end up missing the second, or even the third, etc. Just worried that this becomes an item that is always sold out for months on end and is never easily available to buy as I absolutely MUST have one of them by this November for a yearly video game show that I participate in.

Mine is out for delivery today - 5 days earlier than originally expected.  🙌 So exciting! 🙌

Planning to try out a collection of 70s and 80s Atari 2600 ads as my first video as the .mvc is encoded, tested, and ready to go. Can't wait!!

Mine was just delivered!  I'm going to have to find a game to sacrifice to put it into a shell, but I'm looking forward to playing with this thing as soon as I do that!  Thank you! @rbairos and everyone who helped with testing!

I'm nervous! Please let me know if they work as soon as you can.
Should be plug+play.
I mean, I don't have any reason to think they suddenly won't work, as its been tested on a bunch of different machines, but eeks..  
Thanks!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rbairos said:

I'm nervous! Please let me know if they work as soon as you can.
Should be plug+play.
I mean, I don't have any reason to think they suddenly won't work, as its been tested on a bunch of different machines, but eeks..  
Thanks!!

Worry not! My Movie Cart arrived in perfect condition and works beautifully on my ColecoVision using the Expansion Module 1. :) 

Thank you for all your work on this and for producing such a cool cart. Well done! 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

Now I guess I need to pick something to watch and figure out how to get it encoded. 

The documentation link on the Tindie order page links to a series of videos by rbairos that walk you through the setup and encoding of your own movies. There are other helpful videos there too. Definitely worth watching them all. The process of encoding is pretty simple since most of the preparation has already been done for you. 

• Like 1

Hey Everyone.
The next batch sold out in 10 minutes again.
Very humbling! Thank you so much.

Downside is this sucks for people who need to put themselves on the waiting list each time.
I suspect the number of times people are willing to do that shrinks each round.

That being said, how would people feel about a much longer turn around time (a few weeks vs a few days), but a guaranteed order?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

That being said, how would people feel about a much longer turn around time (a few weeks vs a few days), but a guaranteed order?

Personally speaking - order turnaround time is of less importance to me than knowing I have an order in and I can cross this off the list of things to track and have to try to purchase.

Having to "beat the Tindie clock" (unsuccessfully) each time is frustrating and not knowing when an in-stock event will happen next, only to miss it again due to such a short window of availability is 2x frustrating on top again. 

I'd just rather have the order in, wait however long and be done with it. 

I've been waiting on my AA "last chance" order for almost a year now, so this wait shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by eightbitwhit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rbairos said:

Hey Everyone.
The next batch sold out in 10 minutes again.
Very humbling! Thank you so much.

Downside is this sucks for people who need to put themselves on the waiting list each time.
I suspect the number of times people are willing to do that shrinks each round.

I got in literally in the last second. Placed the order, came back and sold out. Makes up for how PO'ed I was when I missed it last time around ;)

This is going to be fun to tinker with. Thanks for making it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Avenger75 said:

As I live in Europe the mail from Tindie arrived during the night.

For the 2nd time I arrived too late. I hope that next time will be the good one.

Oh thats frustrating.
I'm trying to remain very consistent if that helps.
Thanks so much for your patience

Yeah, I went on a wild chase to the middle of nowhere last night trying to find the northern lights. Bad cellphone service in the woods and wasn't really keeping track of time so I missed out. I'm not mad though, I'm happy for you that they are this popular! 

• Like 1

Well, now comes the hardest part. Waiting for the hardware to arrive. 

I have encoded a Dragon's Lair play-through and a Star Wars Ep4 that was ripped from an old Cinemax recording. 

It was easier than I thought it would be with rbairos' video tutorials. Although I wish I had watched them all the way through first before starting.

My Star Wars recording had the typical Cinemax Feature presentation promo at the beginning and I wanted to trim that part out and get right to the 20th Century Fox fanfare and didn't realize that I could have done it with TouchDesigner. So I did it the simplest way I could find with a quick google which was to use the Windows Photo App crazy enough, but I had to totally re-encode it after the trim. It would have been easier to do it in TD. Oh well, live and learn. 

Thanks again Rob for this amazing little project. I will probably buy a second cart after some time has passed and other people have got their shot at acquiring one. 

----Edit

I had one more spare SD card. I am gonna do TRON also. ;)

• Like 4

Mine arrived while I was in New Orleans.  I'm going to get a 3D printed cart case for it but I'm going to have to make a hole on the one side for the micro SD card so I can change the movie files.  I would otherwise have to damage the label to open and close it.

• Like 1