IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

Next problem:  I realize people won't be able to update the content, unless they have their own USB SD card reader. (just misplaced mine)
(To plug the micro SD card into their pc/laptop/macbook etc).
They retail for about $10 on Amazon, but <$1 in bulk on AliExpress.
Is that something people expect to be included, or is it more bring your own?

---

And then is it still USB or do people expect USB-C now?

43 minutes ago, rbairos said:

Next problem:  I realize people won't be able to update the content, unless they have their own USB SD card reader. (just misplaced mine)

---

I'd expect us to provide our own SD card and find our own way to put the data on it. 

I'd only want to know how to format the card, and what file formats, codecs, and if there are any requirements for the file names of directories. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, guppy said:

I'd expect us to provide our own SD card and find our own way to put the data on it. 

I'd only want to know how to format the card, and what file formats, codecs, and if there are any requirements for the file names of directories. 

Oh okay.
That's good to know.
I've planned to ship with an SD Card though with some basic content, to make sure it works.
Fear there's lots of SD card variations out there, and if it doesn't recognize / reads too slow, the whole thing fails to work as described.

I'm currently in the process of creating a bunch of how-to-vids, since there's a custom codec involved.

7 minutes ago, rbairos said:

Oh okay.
That's good to know.
I've planned to ship with an SD Card though with some basic content, to make sure it works.
Fear there's lots of SD card variations out there, and if it doesn't recognize / reads too slow, the whole thing fails to work as described.

I'm currently in the process of creating a bunch of how-to-vids, since there's a custom codec involved.

You can certainly do that, and it's probably a good idea to provide a demo SD card with some free content , instructions, or whatever, on it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rbairos said:

---

No way!  Make it a byo. Still USB. :) you've already gone above and beyond on this.

I’m sure whatever you decide to include or not include, will suffice either way.

So long as the cart itself, right out of the package when plugged into an Atari system, displays “something” on screen, even if it’s just 1 line of text that says “no files detected”, whereas so the buyer knows it “works”, everything else can then eventually follow.

It’s such a unique item that I think most of us here who have been following it and expressed interest in it, really just want to see it finally come out. Personally, yes, I would like it to come with “some” kind of “movie” as a “pack-in” title. (I mean getting a “movie cart” with no actual moving picture on it feels silly.) It could even just be a short television commercial; specifically the “have you played Atari today ad” would be ideal.

But if it’s not feasible, oh well.

I just hope it’s not rocket science figuring out how to put a movie on there. Because then it will sadly just become another dust collector buried and forgotten on a shelf.

• Like 2

@rbairos I've been following this project for a while now and find it very fascinating.  It always amazes me what people can do with an old 2600.  Thanks for sharing this project with the rest of us.  If you have any Moviecarts left after the others have gotten theirs, I would like to get one also.  Just PM me.

4 hours ago, rbairos said:

Thought about this one a few times, but quality doesn't seem that great.
However @Andrew Davie showed me some colorized versions of public domain movies that may be interesting.

The original King Kong is in the public domain, and a certain company that starts with the letter N used that fact to avoid liability in a famous landmark copyright case involving their flagship property many years ago, during the golden era of home consoles when the Atari 2600 was dominant in the market. So I feel that might be a fitting feature to include in the SD card. 

13 minutes ago, guppy said:

The original King Kong is in the public domain, and a certain company that starts with the letter N used that fact to avoid liability in a famous landmark copyright case involving their flagship property many years ago, during the golden era of home consoles when the Atari 2600 was dominant in the market. So I feel that might be a fitting feature to include in the SD card. 

The 1933 production of King Kong is not in the public domain. The copyright is set to expire in 2028. The novel that is based on the movie is in the public domain.

The debate between Nintendo and Universal was over trademark not copyright. Universal claimed that Kong was trademarked and Donkey Kong would create confusion in the minds of the public. The judge said Universal were acting in bad faith.