IGNORED

Permission denied on opening CFG file

The strangest thing has happened, and it's so odd I might even claim I discovered some kind of weird bug in either the intybasic compiler, the as1600 compiler, or jzintv

Ok, here is the deal.

I ran intybasic and as1600 on my program and got no errors.  I then ran jzintv and everything worked fine.

I was testing something.  Then, ALL I DID was rename the test.bas file to another name, mquest.bas

I ran intybasic and as1600 on my program and got no errors.  I then ran jzintv, but got an error opening the CFG file.  It said permission denied, could not open binary file mquest for reading.

But, here is the kicker.....I then renamed mquest.bas to m_quest.bas, and this time when I compiled and run, it ran FINE.  No error

WTF?

anyone have any idea what this issue might be related to ?   I'm all set and have moved on, but this error is just too weird.....

41 minutes ago, carlsson said:

It sounds like a gremlin. Did you have jzintv running while renaming and recompiling the BASIC source, and perhaps some weird file lock was happening?

I suppose that is possible, but I did it many times out of disbelief because of how weird the issue is when it was not running.

I wonder how the name of the file, mquest, might have broken something.

Oh well, like I said, I am fine now but am always very curious as to what the root cause might be.

PS......your music works perfectly in my program!!  It is EPIC.  thanks again for creating it...it motivates me to get this game working even more.

• Like 1

Are you using the SDK with the build scripts, invoke the compiler and assembler manually or though other means? It reminds me that when I'm working in Emacs, if I open a file with one file name and then save it with a new one, invoking the compile function within the editor will generate binaries with the old file name, unless I explicitly reopen the source code (C-x C-v) under its new file name before compiling.

17 hours ago, nanochess said:

Maybe an instance of the emulator still is running in the background and Windows notices the CFG file is still used. Or you have the CFG file open in Notepad or another application.

it must have been something like this.

The first thing I did when I booted up the laptop today is rename m_quest to mquest and now it works fine.

we can consider this case closed.  I must have had something open.