IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

Battlemorph stopped working for me after upgrading to the latest FW. I tried launching it 7 times - no luck. I erased the file from my card and copied it back over from my hard drive. It works like a charm now.

50 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

Battlemorph stopped working for me after upgrading to the latest FW. I tried launching it 7 times - no luck. I erased the file from my card and copied it back over from my hard drive. It works like a charm now.

It's things like this I don't have a very good explanation for!

Battlemorph seems to hang as it misses an interrupt saying data is ready for it. The very slight difference in timing between file location on the memory card is the only thing I can think somehow helps it work. Seriously frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UHATEIT said:

In my VidGrid folder is created a save with no file type that works, but that Yopaz just created that gibberish ..h H file type. Should I rename the file inside to something or the folder that Yopaz created? It is odd as I've gone through and played levels and hit save and then came back and it still shows level 1. 

Just hang on until the next firmware update for Yopaz. It's broken currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkerga said:

For my part, I converted Brett Hull to .jcd with the converter.
When I launch the game, it crashes after the logos, black screen.

Working for me. 🤷‍♂️

Big salute to SainT for this new FW.. To me everything works great (all most). Some little issues here and there with some games (no game music IS2 and WTR so far),

but finally (after all these years) i can play Battlemorph and save my game progress with this fantastic Game Drive. Thank you!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SainT said:

Working for me. 🤷‍♂️

This Jaguar is acting really strange...😄

Anyway, thank you again and congratulations for your work and your patience in responding to everyone !

How big is your brett.jcd file?

image.png

Edited by pkerga

4 hours ago, SainT said:

The very slight difference in timing between file location on the memory card is the only thing I can think somehow helps it work. Seriously frustrating.

Time for a version we just stick one of the small M2s into? lol

@SainT, Thank you very much for this update I was waiting for it from the very beginning as soon as I bought GD :). Almost all games work flawlessly, only sometimes by itself WTR can crash while reading for example the next route, I have not found any rule. VidGrid and WTR are one of the best games on Jaguar CD for me, which until now I could not play :) 

• Like 1

• Like 1

Is there anything like a list of hashes that are confirmed to be properly converted? Seems that would be useful for knowing if you got it right. Just having a CRC32 to aim for would be handy. Then as long as someone else has a working version you could a least see if it matches what's been working for others. Can always verify the disc via redump if you have the right drives, but seems some hashes for a converted set would clear up mystery about file vs hardware more quickly.

• Like 2

Upgraded the firmware to V1.13 and found Dragon's Lair to be quite glitchy during gameplay and the intro tends to reset around 8 seconds into playing it. Currently using a Sandisk 32GB card formatted using an 8192 cluster size. Vid Grid however works quite well. Has anyone else found the same with Dragon's Lair?

Posted (edited)

Try reformatting the memory card and copying the jcd across again. I had the same issue and this fixed it. I have some theories as to why this happens, but currently nothing I can do about it.

I should also say that if you’re running PAL, the intro resetting is normal, this happens in the actual CD unit. It should play fine, though, I’ve played it quite a lot.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SainT said:

Try reformatting the memory card and copying the jcd across again. I had the same issue and this fixed it. I have some theories as to why this happens, but currently nothing I can do about it.

I should also say that if you’re running PAL, the intro resetting is normal, this happens in the actual CD unit. It should play fine, though, I’ve played it quite a lot.

I am running a PAL JAG so it's good to know that the CD unit does the same. I copied it onto a new SD card and it plays with way fewer glitches. Played Vid Grid for several hours and it's silky smooth and very addictive.

• Like 2

It seems pretty consistent if people reformat and copy the JCD files back onto the memory card it fixes a lot of problems. I don't think the files are getting corrupted as such, as I'm pretty sure I have heard people have done a file comparison between the files on the memory card and on their hard drive and they are the same. My current theory, which has been backed up by someone with first hand experience of this, is that while the file is not fragmented at a file system (FAT32) level, it becomes fragmented at a lower level (how the memory card maps sectors to its own storage cells, a process called wear leveling) and is causing some additional latency while reading. And this doesn't just happen when you write to a memory card, apparently the card will rearrange itself when you are just reading.

The microcontroller on the JagGD isn't quite powerful enough to handle everything that's required for CD support well, so it's all very much on a knife edge as to whether it works or not, and this additional layer of uncertainty in the memory card is causing issues. I've got a few more things I can look into which may help, but it's getting close to being about as good as it can be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, catmando said:

Has setting the cluster size to 8192 when formatting a card been proven to be more reliable or work better with the GD?

It should make no difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SainT said:

It should make no difference.

So I tried playing with 2 cards.

An 8GB no name class 2 and a 32GB SanDisk ultra … If I format default they both have 32KB sectors.

The 8GB formatted 4KB was bad, at 8KB was better but WTR left in demo loop would eventually lock up.

The 32GB on my PC via usb3 reader reads at 90MB/s and writes at 60MB/s … I always have to have 2 copies of the whole cd folder (guess the lower sector are “slower”) but I have not been able to successfully pause Hungary (arcade race after USA) and return to main menu and play again … it randomly locks somewhere, tried with 8KB/16KB/32KB.

Are you using the SD in 4bit mode or strictly serial?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SainT said:

My current theory, which has been backed up by someone with first hand experience of this, is that while the file is not fragmented at a file system (FAT32) level, it becomes fragmented at a lower level (how the memory card maps sectors to its own storage cells, a process called wear leveling) and is causing some additional latency while reading. And this doesn't just happen when you write to a memory card, apparently the card will rearrange itself when you are just reading.

Yes. Cheap SD cards may have very low, or even none, guaranteed minimum throughput. On those cards, occasional latency spikes is just something you have to live with.

What I don't really get is why this causes games to crash. After all, on a real CD, you sometimes get latency spikes as well (when a read fails because the disc is a bit dirty or scratched), so this case should be handled.

What happens on the JagGD when the data from the SD card isn't available in a timely matter? Does it simulate a CD read error?

5 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Are you using the SD in 4bit mode or strictly serial?

Interestingly enough, some SD cards documentation's do point out that minimum throughput is only guaranteed in 4-bit mode, not in SPI mode.