IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

Posted (edited)

@SainT installed new FW, and both Vidgrid and WTR do run.

I completed 1 video in Vidgrid the Aerosmith one (its' the top left one) and it worked fine ... for WTR I tried Arcade, completed Hungary in "I'm Sloooow" difficulty level, placed 4 watched the end animation and it got stuck on a black screen after, rebooted, retried same as above placed first this time and skipped the animation and I was able to play the second circuit after Hungary, did not finish it and instead paused and exit but it got stuck at a blue car image ... but it's much better than before at least it gets this far, maybe other can chime how far they can get.

So thank you for the update, the memory track also seem to work.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

To DL the new FW you need to use a QR code reader when you press Option on the controller as the GD boots. PITA way to do it, personally, as it called up 3 or 4 bogus links. I had to copy the code and use a PC and a browser to get the file. With the FW file in the root directory of your SD card, place the card in the GD and boot it. The update will happen. Then  remove the SD card, place in PC and delete the firmware.ovr file or it will continually update every time you booth the GD.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

To DL the new FW you need to use a QR code reader when you press Option on the controller as the GD boots. PITA way to do it, personally, as it called up 3 or 4 bogus links. I had to copy the code and use a PC and a browser to get the file. With the FW file in the root directory of your SD card, place the card in the GD and boot it. The update will happen. Then  remove the SD card, place in PC and delete the firmware.ovr file or it will continually update every time you booth the GD.

Thank you for posting that. Otherwise I would have deleted the original one and replaced it with the ovr. I'll just ad it, let it update, then remove the ovr afterwards. 

Hover Strike is the only one I can't get working with this new update. I've tried the version I found on the web and my personal converted file and nothing. The Memory track works great. Finally putting some time into Battlemorph and Blue Lightning again. Thanks

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After 3 tries got a working .ovr file to do the update  as had to delefe the initual .upd file i had since 2021 then had to delete the .ovr after the update. 

It actually made all of the CD games I had on there not work past the Atari load screen so I deleted all of the CD files as I had a backup of the same folder on my laptop and am dragging all of them over. Maybe that will fix the loading and the contiguous thing and get them to work. 

Edited by UHATEIT

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

Thank you for posting that. Otherwise I would have deleted the original one and replaced it with the ovr. I'll just ad it, let it update, then remove the ovr afterwards. 

Press the very large blue DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE button rather than go for the individual links below. That way you get the upd file which won’t keep updating each time you reboot. Those links below are for if you want overwrite your current firmware with that particular version.

Edited by SainT

6 hours ago, teuton17 said:

PITA way to do it, personally, as it called up 3 or 4 bogus links.

It’s the only way I could think to add some kind of cloning protection. Unfortunately it’s needed these days with small quantity niche products like this. If it were cloned and sold by someone else I wouldn’t be able to continue making these products.

And a false link will never be created, you’ve just typed it in wrong. That’s the point of the QR, you can scan it without error and mail it to yourself, etc. Putting an update.html on the memory card which takes you to the page may be another solution.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

After 3 tries got a working .ovr file to do the update  as had to delefe the initual .upd file i had since 2021 then had to delete the .ovr after the update. 

It actually made all of the CD games I had on there not work past the Atari load screen so I deleted all of the CD files as I had a backup of the same folder on my laptop and am dragging all of them over. Maybe that will fix the loading and the contiguous thing and get them to work. 

I’ve had the same issue with JCD’s failing. I can only assume the memory card can get corrupted, as I had Dragons Lair start failing on me, so I formatted the memory card and copied the JCD’s across again and it worked fine.

SainT,  I understand about the anti-cloning need, but I got the bogus links using the QR code reader (several times and then gave up). I downloaded the firmware.ovr file by typing the URL into my browser. The update.html file seems better to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

SainT,  I understand about the anti-cloning need, but I got the bogus links using the QR code reader (several times and then gave up). I downloaded the firmware.ovr file by typing the URL into my browser. The update.html file seems better to me.

Oh... now that's interesting. I've tested the QR generation and it's always been correct in my tests, I guess the QR code could be wrong in some cases, then. 😬 Does it go to a 404 page when you scan it? If you happen to be able to provide an example of where the QR and URL displayed do not match, that would be really helpful. The QR is just generated from the URL displayed on screen.

Thanks for the heads up, I've not heard of this issue before.

9 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

With the latest update I have about 5 games that do not convert properly. All fail because the markers are missing or there is no message at all past "Opening XXX.cdi".

If there are missing markers then it is likely to be an incomplete CD read. All Atari released titles use a standard "ATRI" marker. If it's an unreleased title or homebrew then it may use different markers and the issue may infact be my fault, but I don't have any such examples. If an image is failing to do anything after opening, it will be unrecognised for some reason. Any specific examples of this I can take a look at, it may be I don't support the format version.

SainT,  I can send you the failed files (just open and then return the cmd prompt)  via Google Drive to look at if you send me a contact email via PM.  I do not have the bogus links to share, as they are not on my phone any longer. The failed files are Black Ice, Saucer Wars and Soul Star (not the proto). Other files that say they are valid, but do not work are: Lost Treasures and Ocean Depth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 3:30 AM, SainT said:

There will be another release of the converter with the next firmware which supports more tracks (Brett Hull Hokey has a LOT) and improved CUE support for single part bin files. 

Was a new version of the cd conversion tool published with the new firmware? When I go to the link on the JagGD product page on your site, it's still the 2021 version. I have the older SD version, and grabbed the firmware off the Twitter post. Didn't see it in that zip file either. 

Edited by nick3092

1 minute ago, nick3092 said:

Was a new version of the cd conversion tool published with the new firmware? When I go to the link on the JagGD product page on your site, it's still the 2021 version. 

Not yet, no. There are a couple of improvements for CUE/BIN format and allowing for more tracks on the CD image (Brett Hull Hockey).

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

SainT, I did not get a 404 message from the bogus QR code readings. The scan took me to other sites.

The only thing I can think is that it's a QR code reader inserting adverts, it's absolutely impossible for the QR code generation to randomly send you to other sites.

Edited by SainT

1 minute ago, chris_greece said:

me too..i tried 3 times to get the correct link..try again

Please give me examples of this including a photo of the screen showing the QR code and link.

Posted (edited)

Updated ISO converted uploaded. I've tested with everything I have and it's working fine. There are quite a few ISO's I have with missing data markers, but it's usually the end markers which are missing, so these images should mostly work, but they will be missing some data. So things crashing can also be missing data as well, so something to consider with bad rips.

Available linked at the bottom of this page:

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-jaguar-gd-flash-cartridge

The main improvements in the newer converter are support for more tracks (Brett Hull) and support for multi-bin CUE files.

Until proven otherwise the problems with QR reading above I can only attribute to crappy QR reading apps which are inserting adverts. It is absolutely, 100% completely, impossible for the JagGD to generate random links to other sites.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, WIZZARD77 said:

Hover Strike is the only one I can't get working with this new update. I've tried the version I found on the web and my personal converted file and nothing. The Memory track works great. Finally putting some time into Battlemorph and Blue Lightning again. Thanks

Hover Strike==awesome.