IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

On 5/13/2024 at 9:07 AM, SainT said:

The microcontroller on the JagGD isn't quite powerful enough to handle everything that's required for CD support well,

Would you know how the hardware power in the JagGD compares to something like the Dreamcast GDEMU?

3 minutes ago, catmando said:

Would you know how the hardware power in the JagGD compares to something like the Dreamcast GDEMU?

No clue. The JagGD was never designed for CD support in particular, it was just a feature I thought might be possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SainT said:

No clue. The JagGD was never designed for CD support in particular, it was just a feature I thought might be possible.

I appreciate everything you have done with the JagGD and getting CD support working as best as possible with the hardware limitations.

Has there been any thought given to an upgraded version of the JagGD in the future that would be better able to handle CD support to hopefully eliminate some of the finnicky issues people are experiencing?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

So I tried playing with 2 cards.

An 8GB no name class 2 and a 32GB SanDisk ultra … If I format default they both have 32KB sectors.

The 8GB formatted 4KB was bad, at 8KB was better but WTR left in demo loop would eventually lock up.

The 32GB on my PC via usb3 reader reads at 90MB/s and writes at 60MB/s … I always have to have 2 copies of the whole cd folder (guess the lower sector are “slower”) but I have not been able to successfully pause Hungary (arcade race after USA) and return to main menu and play again … it randomly locks somewhere, tried with 8KB/16KB/32KB.

Are you using the SD in 4bit mode or strictly serial?

17 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Interestingly enough, some SD cards documentation's do point out that minimum throughput is only guaranteed in 4-bit mode, not in SPI mode.

6 hours ago, SainT said:

@SainT Sorry to bother but is the SD card accessed in SPI mode or 4bit mode?

Edited by phoenixdownita

Throughput isn't an issue with regard to hanging issues in general, mostly it's because the Jag is missing an interrupt generated by the GD. I'm also getting some spurious data coming from the Jag during WTR which is what the hanging is you're seeing with that game. I'm debugging that at the moment, but with no improvement yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sargon said:

Has there been any thought given to an upgraded version of the JagGD in the future that would be better able to handle CD support to hopefully eliminate some of the finnicky issues people are experiencing?

It has crossed my mind, but it would mean starting again from the ground up, so it's not at the top of my list of things to do!

6 hours ago, SainT said:

It has crossed my mind, but it would mean starting again from the ground up, so it's not at the top of my list of things to do!

Hey SainT! Thanks for you're hard work on JagGD! All my CD games work. I had a question, is it possible to extract the memory track files from the SD card? I wasn't quite sure where it was getting saved to.

BTW Folks if you're having issues running a game, chances are also the game rip is bad. Look for REDUMP versions. I downloaded redump and converted to JCD and they all worked perfectly including WTC and VidGrid.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ultramecha said:

BTW Folks if you're having issues running a game, chances are also the game rip is bad. Look for REDUMP versions. I downloaded redump and converted to JCD and they all worked perfectly including WTC and VidGrid.

Good idea to use certified sources but they may not solve all the problems, in my case I can start WTR and play arcade on the US track then go to Hungary and play but if I pause in Hungary and via option exit the game eventually it gets stuck before I can chose to play again, it’s fine if instead I exit in the US race (well I did it once and it worked vs Hungary that never did for me) … the spot where it blocks is not always the same so not sure about the bad rip theory.

This is an image I dumped and jcd converted myself from an Etsy bought WTR burn that works just fine on the real JagCD exit and all … so there’s some instability … Vidgrid on game drive has been great since the last fw and I quickly tried dragon’s lair, space ace and braindead 13 and I saw no issues at least in the first 3 or 4 scenes of each as well as primal rage first 3 fights.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ultramecha said:

Hey SainT! Thanks for you're hard work on JagGD! All my CD games work. I had a question, is it possible to extract the memory track files from the SD card? I wasn't quite sure where it was getting saved to.

Sure, there's a hidden folder on the root of the memory card called "MTRACK". This contains all the memory track save data.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Good idea to use certified sources but they may not solve all the problems, in my case I can start WTR and play arcade on the US track then go to Hungary and play but if I pause in Hungary and via option exit the game eventually it gets stuck before I can chose to play again, it’s fine if instead I exit in the US race (well I did it once and it worked vs Hungary that never did for me) … the spot where it blocks is not always the same so not sure about the bad rip theory.

WTR is a pain, I know it has issues. There does appear to be an issue with one of the CD tracks missing data markers, but I don't *think* this is actually causing any issues.

Ok, a new firmware update has been released. I've fixed one of the issues I was seeing with WTR which was causing instability, it still dies if left on soak, but I think it's improved. Likewise I've fixed some other potential issues, but am not sure how much things have improved due to this.

Issues with memory track on homebrew (notably Yopaz and Alice) have been fixed. These were actually due to junk being passed instead of a filename, so I've accommodated for this by using "NONAME" where junk is passed.

Save on Robinsons Requiem is still misbehaving and I don't understand why.

• Like 8

If you have a cart which has the QR update system, you have to use it. There's about 200-ish JagGD carts in existence which don't have it, so of the active user base it's very few.

I don't like posting the link for the older carts publicly as everyone with the new carts then downloads it and asks why it doesn't work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SainT said:

If you have a cart which has the QR update system, you have to use it. There's about 200-ish JagGD carts in existence which don't have it, so of the active user base it's very few.

I don't like posting the link for the older carts publicly as everyone with the new carts then downloads it and asks why it doesn't work.

Then how can those of us with the older cart get it?

Unfortunately the 1.14 was a step backwards for me.
After upgrading I tested WTR, Vid Grid and Robinsons Requiem and they all hanged and wouldn’t start, but they work almost every time with 1.13.
Decided to reformat the SD-card and copy them back again, but this didn´t help, they still hang at different places every time I try to start them.
Downgraded back to 1.13 and now they work as they did before again and are playable most of the time.

Anyone else experienced this when upgrading to 1.14?

Posted (edited)

Interesting. Stick with 1.13 then! :)

It's definitely been no worse on my Jag, and generally a bit better. Unfortunately there's little I can do to figure out why, either.  :?

Edited by SainT

29 minutes ago, SainT said:

Interesting. Stick with 1.13 then! :)

It's definitely been no worse on my Jag, and generally a bit better. Unfortunately there's little I can do to figure out why, either.  :?

Very interesting indeed 😄
I´ll try downloading 1.14 again and do another upgrade, maybe something went wrong with the first upgrade.
Else I will stick with 1.13 for now,  even if I really looked forward to be able to save on Yopaz and Alice 🙂

There’s one thing it might be. See how you get on, I may do a private update for you to test with just one change. At least it would help rule things out. Is ROM loading affected?

Posted (edited)

Went to 1.14 but WTR (the only one I tried) would not even start, never managed to get to the start screen.

Reverted back to 1.13 for now, messaged Saint already about it.

Note that the QR code changes at every flash, and it seems you need new .upd/.ovr files afaict (I used to keep the old upd files but they are useless it appears) ... which slows down the cycle, anyhow I am back in working state.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Update files are one shot use, so don’t keep them.

Make sure after update that the versions numbers are correct when you hit 0 on the menu. There’s no reason they shouldn’t be, but it  sounds like some people’s didn’t update.

If you have any issues with the update then get another QR update link and click the top link on the versions list. This will download a firmware.ovr file. Update using this, it forces everything to update rather than just the bits that changed.

8 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Went to 1.14 but WTR (the only one I tried) would not even start, never managed to get to the start screen.

Reverted back to 1.13 for now, messaged Saint already about it.

Note that the QR code changes at every flash, and it seems you need new .upd/.ovr files afaict (I used to keep the old upd files but they are useless it appears) ... which slows down the cycle, anyhow I am back in working state.

I'm having same issues with 1.14 as well. Several of my jag CD games take a few tries to load up or crash with 1.14. 

Posted (edited)

There’s some question as to whether it’s updating everything. Check the versions by hitting 0 on the menu and see what you get. If the menu version is wrong, rename the .upd to .ovr and see if that works. If it’s still doing nothing, try copying it to a blank memory card and trying again.

Edited by SainT

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ultramecha said:

I'm having same issues with 1.14 as well. Several of my jag CD games take a few tries to load up or crash with 1.14. 

What versions do you have (press 0 zero) ? The info states you should get 1.14/1.10/1.10/1.06 but my menu stayed at 1.09 (from the 1.13 update).

Edited by phoenixdownita