IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

Having the menu at an older version will definitely cause bad things to happen with the latest firmware. I’ll investigate further as it sounds like it’s not an isolated issue.

4 hours ago, SainT said:

If you have a cart which has the QR update system, you have to use it. There's about 200-ish JagGD carts in existence which don't have it, so of the active user base it's very few.

I don't like posting the link for the older carts publicly as everyone with the new carts then downloads it and asks why it doesn't work.

I've got one of the original 200 could I get a DM link to the new update, cheers! 

25 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

What versions do you have (press 0 zero) ? The info states you should get 1.14/1.10/1.10/1.06 but my menu stayed at 1.09 (from the 1.13 update).

I have the same issue, when the update runs from 1.13 to 1.14 it only updates the ASIC and then go directly to the game menu, it never updates Stub or Menu. I have tried to download both the .upd and the .ovr files through the QR-code and they are exactly the same size and behave the same way.
After the upgrade I have “Firmware V1.14, ASIC V1.10, Menu V1.09, Stub V1.06

• Like 1

I've removed the update for the moment as people seem to have had issues. I have an idea to what it might be, so I'll investigate further. Likewise the link for the old version of the cart has also been removed until I can figure out what's happening.

Just now, bjkock said:

I have the same issue, when the update runs from 1.13 to 1.14 it only updates the ASIC and then go directly to the game menu, it never updates Stub or Menu. I have tried to download both the .upd and the .ovr files through the QR-code and they are exactly the same size and behave the same way.
After the upgrade I have “Firmware V1.14, ASIC V1.10, Menu V1.09, Stub V1.06

That completely explains why it doesn't work! I'll dig into it. I have a gut feeling as to what's happening but will confirm in a day or so when I get the chance to have a look.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SainT said:

That completely explains why it doesn't work! I'll dig into it. I have a gut feeling as to what's happening but will confirm in a day or so when I get the chance to have a look.

Thank You @SainT!
Take all the time you need, no rush from my side. I´m just thankful for all the hard work you do for our beloved Jaguar 🍻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kroll said:

Thank You @SainT!

I too, had to go back to version 1.13, in addition, I noticed that after upgrading to 1.14 the mrq files were completely not displayed

I noted that to and when I put the SD-card back in the PC most of the .MRQ files had corrupted filenames and were only 0kb (zero-kb).
Guess this also has something to do with that the menu didn´t update.

1 hour ago, phoenixdownita said:

What versions do you have (press 0 zero) ? The info states you should get 1.14/1.10/1.10/1.06 but my menu stayed at 1.09 (from the 1.13 update).

Same here, only the ASIC updated. nothing else.

Just chiming in to say I updated my Game Drive (older model) and while I could use a fresh build of the Micro SD card, I am able to load and play Battlemorph and other CD rom games.  I have to hold down C or B on load or they generally don't load for some reason.  Has been fun to play so thanks!  :D

• Like 2

Ok, that's fixed now, new firmware available. Exactly the same as the last, except it actually updates everything properly!

It's been a couple of years since I touched the code and I'd forgotten I'd not completely segregated the updater as I normally would, so the updater for the Jaguar side is relying on the menu firmware rather than the boot firmware. I'd made some changes to add functionality which required an update on the Jaguar side too, which then broke the updater as that code does not change. Anyway, fixed. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Update successful to Firmware V1.15, ASIC V1.10, Menu V1.11, Stub V1.06 as per info.

WTR eventually locks if left in a loop (took ~5 mins on my first loop), and I had a weird play in which after winning (1st) the US arcade race after the 1st place animation (which I shortcut) the screen went black but the game was "still playing" (I could see the GD lights flickering to load the various next screens and eventually I could hear the start of the Hungary race with motor noise etc... just the screen stayed black), on a second play I managed to win US again and then get to Hungary (no black this time) and pause->option->exit->selection-screen with no lock ... yayyy, so it is definitely better than before. [I never had the black screen thing happening so not sure what to make of it]

[After playing WTR Arcade US 10-15 times in 2 days to repro to issue I can assert the in race resolution is kind of too low, framerate low and jittery and the drone AI quite painful ... but hey it's probably the best Jaguar racing game 🙃]

Edited by phoenixdownita

2 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Update successful to Firmware V1.15, ASIC V1.10, Menu V1.11, Stub V1.06 as per info.

WTR eventually locks if left in a loop (took ~5 mins on my first loop), and I had a weird play in which after winning (1st) the US arcade race after the 1st place animation (which I shortcut) the screen went black but the game was "still playing" (I could see the GD lights flickering to load the various next screens and eventually I could hear the start of the Hungary race with motor noise etc... just the screen stayed black), on a second play I managed to win US again and then get to Hungary (no black this time) and pause->option->exit->selection-screen with no lock ... yayyy, so it is definitely better than before. [I never had the black screen thing happening so not sure what to make of it]

[After playing WTR Arcade US 10-15 times in 2 days to repro to issue I can assert the in race resolution is kind of too low, framerate low and jittery and the drone AI quite painful ... but hey it's probably the best Jaguar racing game 🙃]

What about Atari Karts?! That's the best :)

Can anyone help here- I have no idea how to get this updated. I’ve been through this thread up and down and I’m none the wiser. 

I’ve pressed option and a QR code appears but then this happens. 
Any help is very much appreciated. 🥰

IMG_2074.thumb.png.ed8bd84bb98a9008626e0198b13a6dd6.pngIMG_2075.thumb.jpeg.0de420613d57c643f3a1400f69811092.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kal said:

Okay I’ve solved that one- I was pressing option to early. 🤷‍♀️

now to see if I can follow the instructions to install it. 

You pressed option twice, that’s the serial number screen. Press option again to get to the update link screen. Option switches between them.

1 minute ago, Kal said:

I’m back- it says install the firmware.upd file to the root of the card but the download has given me a firmware.ovr

Press the massive “DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE” button which is in blue. I tried to make it as obvious as possible.

This will get the latest firmware for your cart.

You can also use a version specific file if you want (downloaded as .ovr), but delete the file after it’s updated or it will update every time you boot.

Downloaded and installed 1.15 and now it updates everything as expected 😃
Now the GD reports: Firmware V1.15, ASIC V1.10, Menu V1.11, Stub V1.06
Tested some .jcd games, WTR, Vid Grid, Robinsons Requiem, GORF, Baldies, Myst etc. and it seems to be more stable than 1.13.
The memory track feature is not working for some games that I’ve tested, for example Elansar and Philia, but that is not a big thing as long as I can play the games 😃

Thank You and Great work @SainT

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bjkock said:

Tested some .jcd games, WTR, Vid Grid, Robinsons Requiem, GORF, Baldies, Myst etc. and it seems to be more stable than 1.13.
The memory track feature is not working for some games that I’ve tested, for example Elansar and Philia, but that is not a big thing as long as I can play the games 😃

Thank You and Great work @SainT

Hmm, I could have sworn Philia and Elansar were working. Or at least they appeared to be — I.e. I could see they were creating sensible save files. I’ll have to check on those again.

I know robinsons requiem is not working, it comes up with a ‘not enough space’ error and I don’t know why. Debugging is a pain as it seems to use a tokenised scripting system which really makes the code flow very hard to follow. 🙄

• Like 1

SainT!  Thank you for troubleshooting this in the group, as opposed to privately.  I also tried the second to last firmware and all of my .jcd images stopped loading past the Atari logo, unless I switched to another SD card freshly formatted.  I might not have noticed another firmware update so soon if you hadn't announced it, and might have just dismissed my Jag as one of the flakey ones. 

I just updated to 1.15 and copied over my old SD card .jcd files and everything has loaded so far!  Memory saves are working too, which is something I have really been looking forward to.  Battlemorph and Highlander, here I come!

Playing WTR and Vidgrid on real hardware is awesome. I've never seen them in person running on real hardware before.  For a feature that was consistently "never promised" it sure is working out for me.

• Like 1

Fantastic, glad it’s working for you! I think the general consensus is that this latest update does seem to have improved stability a bit further. There’s still a couple more things I’d like to have a look at which may help further again, but in general I’m starting to feel reasonably happy with the CD support. 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1