IGNORED

Sophia 2 to VGA/HDMI

cbmeeks

1 hour ago, cbmeeks said:

What @mytek said.

However, sunburn is quite common.   LOL

Yep now that I really think about it, that's not exactly what I intended to say :lolblue: .

But in a weird sort of way that will be something experienced way more often then someone coming after you for incorporating HDMI in a product that will likely never see much more than a few hundred sold.

Just a thought. Have these made in China and sold by an independent 3rd party using generic term "Video Break-Out Adapter".

Video_Break-Out_Adapter_PCB.png.f0a6e768372645af33135ad747bc66c4.png

I looked at conversion of the analog audio to something that could be blended with the HDMI video stream, and that would definitely not be easy, or practical. Best to treat the audio independently as it is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

I looked at conversion of the analog audio to something that could be blended with the HDMI video stream, and that would definitely not be easy, or practical. Best to treat the audio independently as it is now.

I'd say you're right. I just don't know how common TVs or monitors with separate audio inputs for HDMI sources are. I have a mixed collection of ten TVs and monitors in my house, all made within the past ten years, from Samsung, ASUS, and LG, and not a single one of them have additional audio inputs for any of the HDMI sources. They all expect the audio signal to come in through the HDMI port. So, that leave many people, me for sure, with having external powered speakers as the only option. Granted, I'm probably going to get much better sound that way anyway, as most TVs and monitors made in the past ten years have small cases and pretty crappy built-in sound, but still.

Just now, bfollowell said:

I'd say you're right. I just don't know how common TVs or monitors with separate audio inputs for HDMI sources are. I have a mixed collection of ten TVs and monitors in my house, all made within the past ten years, from Samsung, ASUS, and LG, and not a single one of them have additional audio inputs for any of the HDMI sources. They all expect the audio signal to come in through the HDMI port. So, that leave many people, me for sure, with having external powered speakers as the only option. Granted, I'm probably going to get much better sound that way anyway, as most TVs and monitors made in the past ten years have small cases and pretty crappy built-in sound, but still.

Yes as you already stated, there are a lot of high quality 'separate' amplified speaker setups available to handle the audio, it doesn't absolutely need to come from the HDTV itself, although that would be nice. I know I'm not alone either in having my stereo receiver nearby my HDTV, which could fill in for the sound aspect nicely. In fact I would much rather have the better quality sound and bass from that.

56 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

How do NTSC 600xl users get sound out since there is no monitor jack?

They probably need to build some internal pickup and take the sound signal from where it goes into the RF modulator (or install a dual POKEY and take it from the stereo board).

• Like 1

Hello guys

1 hour ago, slx said:

They probably need to build some internal pickup and take the sound signal from where it goes into the RF modulator (or install a dual POKEY and take it from the stereo board).

The PokeyMax V3 has (or will have) SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace or digital audio out).

A separate speaker setup is nice if you only use your Atari at home, but when you take it along to Atari meetings (like the Fujiama), extra stuff takes up extra space in your car (pity on those who travel by train) and extra power plugs need extra outlets and cause more "spaghetti" on the table.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mathy said:

The PokeyMax V3 has (or will have) SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace or digital audio out).

Wow. That means an Atari will be the first machine I plug a digital audio cable into as my TV viewing habits are so plain that I never bothered to install a soundbar or AV center. 

14 hours ago, Mathy said:

I've been looking at the PokeyMax.  I love Sophia 2 in my 800XL (using a speaker) and really want it for my 600XL but the audio is a concern.  Haven't found install guides or manuals for PokeyMax 3.  FJC's youtube videos are great but his methods are advanced with some top notch tools.  I'm just a scrub in my basement with a cheap soldering iron. 

Anyway this is off topic.

I do have one of those mini HDMI to VGA converters.  So I went Sophia 2 DVI to HDMI to VGA and the picture is quite sharp once you configure it in the app.  I am noticing over a period of a few minutes that the image starts to get (unusably) milky.  I suspect its an issue with my TV as when I use the remote to switch to HDMI then back to VGA its back to a bright blue.  I thought maybe it was because I wasn't powering the mini converter but it happens even when I add some USB juice to the converter.

IMG_2413.thumb.jpg.fa191be4e507e249af67331b0ef5381e.jpg

On 4/19/2021 at 5:23 AM, cbmeeks said:

DVI to VGA I have is missing a lot of pins.

The analog VGA signal is carried on the extra 4 pins at one end of the DVI-A/DVI-I connector, the missing pins aren't necessary for the analog VGA signal, here is a link which explains the types.

https://www.404techsupport.com/2014/08/21/dvi-types/

So, I finished the upgrade for now.  Getting nice DVI/VGA output awaiting the day I get a new HDMI monitor.

I'm not so great with cutting holes in plastic but I sorta like the end result.  It's a tad crooked on the inside.  It would be nice if the DVI board were redesigned a little to fit the existing holes of the RF modulator.  Especially the end towards the case. 

Anyway, I'm happy with the result. 

Photo Apr 25, 1 08 55 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 1 14 52 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 1 15 09 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 1 15 21 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 1 15 25 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 1 15 37 PM.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, mytek said:

What makes this rather funny, is that somebody from the HDMI committee or whatever governing body there is would even give a rats ass about its unauthorized use in the A8 :roll: . It's in the same category of reality as all the illegal copies of old Atari games being taken off of all the servers, the 'Atari' name being removed from AtariAge as well as a multitude of other sites  (including my own), or anyone putting the Fuji symbol on their products being told to remove it. Yes it happens, and I sure know how much people love to talk about the possibility, but in the grand view it's a rarity. And before all the lawyers jump in to make their case - I really don't care to hear it, because yes I know it is illegal, and I'm not saying it isn't. But in 'reality' you have a much better chance of being burned by the sun then by any legal body coming after you in this particular case and/or demographic.

However I do like the suggestion of leaving off the actual connector, maybe even having dual PCB patterns (DVI and HDMI), and allowing a person to order it either with the DVI, or sans connector with the buyer installing the HDMI port themselves if that's what they want. Including a way to digitize the Atari sound for pass-thru to the HDMI option would be a fantastic addition as well.

Agreed. This is why I haven’t moved forward upgrading my 800 or even switching to a NUC576+: everything uses outdated technology. I don’t see swapping out one set of outdated technology for another; if I am going to be resoldering the system, I want the current technologies. HDMI for video/audio output and USB for keyboard input (not PS/2).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greg Lovekamp said:

Agreed. This is why I haven’t moved forward upgrading my 800 or even switching to a NUC576+: everything uses outdated technology. I don’t see swapping out one set of outdated technology for another; if I am going to be resoldering the system, I want the current technologies. HDMI for video/audio output and USB for keyboard input (not PS/2).

I must have been in a belligerent mood the day I wrote that, but none the less there is some truth behind the words.

Anyway it wasn't about not using outdated technology, which would certainly include our Atari systems, it was about a possible way to still provide a real HDMI connector on the Sophia without the creator taking a legal risk - letting the end user provide the connector.