IGNORED

I present to you, the 7800Jr. Case

PacManPlus

Any chance you could make a glow in the dark version to match my Baby Pac Cart? :)

(even if just the strip was gitd the relief of the graphics would be amazing)

Also, and Bob might blush at this, humble guy that he is...I think it should be a "signature edition". Put your name on that thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys!  @-^CrossBow^- I'll be sending you a PM; curious on why you can't use it (and what I can do to make it more universal).

43 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Any chance you could make a glow in the dark version to match my Baby Pac Cart? :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure a Glow In The Dark version can be printed :)

43 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I think it should be a "signature edition". Put your name on that thing!

Thank you 😊 although I wouldn't feel right doing that...

• Thanks 1

Been working with -^Crossbow^- on the case layout.

- I've modified the case and extended the back to give it a little room for mods, and to move the screw posts so a hole doesn't need to be drilled in the mainboard:

- Added more vents

image.thumb.png.0ca77158ef21d43c5e685865babfbbeb.png

image.thumb.png.df59a1ac951f641c8122d453e34a7342.png

image.thumb.png.842175d4172aa363145636a5180d317d.png

With the bottom piece you can see exactly how much space I've added in the back; I think the most universal case has been created here; with the only mods needed are custom holes for A/V mods (or even stock connectors).

I think we're finally there!  For helping me, @-^CrossBow^- is getting the first one (and also to see if any final tweaking needs to be done). :D

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I don't mean this as an insult or to be critical, so please don't take it that way (saying something looks like a toy can be insulting for some people).  But I very much get a Fisher-Price toy vibe from the design.  It is probably reminding me of an actual Fisher Price toy, but I can't specifically name which one.  It's different, that's for sure.

It would be absolutely awesome to get new and varied replacement cases for the 7800.  The original definitely has that mid 80s black plastic crap look that every piece of electronics of the era seemed to follow (though to be fair, the black color means it fits in almost to any decor). It is not iconic the way the 2600 is.  The 2600 is even more dated than the 7800, but that's also a big part of its charm, being called "Woody" even.

One of my 7800s is only half the man it used to be, literally.  Like half the case broke. I think it got stepped on like 20 years ago.  These things are 35 years old. Plastic is getting brittle too.

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying, but I was going for functionality and ease of printing before anything else.  For instance, I'm currently printing a spool winder because the ones out there cost $350 to $700!  This print is taking me 48 hours total.  At some point it becomes cost prohibitive due to the time/material taken, and the possibility of a failed print goes up the longer it takes to print something.

That's why it's basically box shape with a simple badge/switch indicator section.  As it is, the top and bottom each take approx. 12 hours to print.  If I do a finer print (which I will do on the ones that go out)  It will be longer.  Anything additional I do to it to give it any kind of 'look' will just add to the time/material/possibility of failure.

It's still better that having a broken and/or cracked case, IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I understand what you are saying, but I was going for functionality and ease of printing before anything else.  For instance, I'm currently printing a spool winder because the ones out there cost $350 to $700!  This print is taking me 48 hours total.  At some point it becomes cost prohibitive due to the time/material taken, and the possibility of a failed print goes up the longer it takes to print something.

That's why it's basically box shape with a simple badge/switch indicator section.  As it is, the top and bottom each take approx. 12 hours to print.  If I do a finer print (which I will do on the ones that go out)  It will be longer.  Anything additional I do to it to give it any kind of 'look' will just add to the time/material/possibility of failure.

It's still better that having a broken and/or cracked case, IMHO.

That's crazy about the amount of time that takes... but I like the look a bunch. It's totally different from the 80's. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@PacManPlus We do all hope you are your family are okay after Hurricane Ian? 

This past Monday I received a package from Bob containing one of the new 7800jr cases for me to fit and install my test bed 7800 into. As I've been busy with another project, I wasn't able to get to putting it all together until earlier today. So.. here it is, the 7800jr!

New_Case_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.860f4d9aa546fff3cc14a1517ca48834.jpg

New_Case_Detail_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.75020d3ecdd6ce9ce648baa0fa18ced9.jpg

New_Case_Front_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.995973e8a27e108ecd28df2d1fe74999.jpg

New_Case_Side_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.4b07af60e935070f6d1c014c6087f5bb.jpg

New_Case_Rear_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.8604bdab9f8a54274335819b629b9144.jpg

New_Case_Inside_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.e80036250515784d208a032b9b0e9810.jpg

The case has been designed so that you can keep the RF shielding if you really wanted. Because this is a test bed unit, I usually have the RF shielding removed from it. As you can see from the pictures, this particular case is designed for AV modded consoles since the RF jack isn't really accessable in this particular case. This is due to the extension of the shell on the back to make it easier to install AV upgraded jacks like RCA, s-video, TRRS etc. It also required removing the power plug as the case is designed to allow it to snap in to a new opening. I then wired it up to the main board and decided to use a JST style 2 pin connector for it so I can unplug it from the main board as needed. There is room that you could install a barrel jack as well but then you would have to secure it with some epoxy or something to that effect. So aside from the AV output jacks I installed and the power plug, the rest of the main board will fit right in. Now it should also be mentioned that by default the power LED will poke through the opening and therefore stick up and out through the top of the case. But I wanted a more flush look on mine so I trimmed about 5mm off the plastic post that the LED sits in. In this case I used one of my Cyan colored LEDs as I really like the color it puts out and it isn't that common an LED to see. To help even the light output, I sand the top of the LED to make it flat and provide a diffused look.

But overall, this is a very cool case design and I'm sure it can be altered as needed for different AV jacks as needed. 

Thanks again Bob and do be sure to check in with us soon as you can so we know your are doing well!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This past Monday I received a package from Bob containing one of the new 7800jr cases for me to fit and install my test bed 7800 into. As I've been busy with another project, I wasn't able to get to putting it all together until earlier today. So.. here it is, the 7800jr!

The case has been designed so that you can keep the RF shielding if you really wanted. Because this is a test bed unit, I usually have the RF shielding removed from it. As you can see from the pictures, this particular case is designed for AV modded consoles since the RF jack isn't really accessable in this particular case. This is due to the extension of the shell on the back to make it easier to install AV upgraded jacks like RCA, s-video, TRRS etc. It also required removing the power plug as the case is designed to allow it to snap in to a new opening. I then wired it up to the main board and decided to use a JST style 2 pin connector for it so I can unplug it from the main board as needed. There is room that you could install a barrel jack as well but then you would have to secure it with some epoxy or something to that effect. So aside from the AV output jacks I installed and the power plug, the rest of the main board will fit right in. Now it should also be mentioned that by default the power LED will poke through the opening and therefore stick up and out through the top of the case. But I wanted a more flush look on mine so I trimmed about 5mm off the plastic post that the LED sits in. In this case I used one of my Cyan colored LEDs as I really like the color it puts out and it isn't that common an LED to see. To help even the light output, I sand the top of the LED to make it flat and provide a diffused look.

But overall, this is a very cool case design and I'm sure it can be altered as needed for different AV jacks as needed. 

Thanks again Bob and do be sure to check in with us soon as you can so we know your are doing well!

I love it.  I love the buttons especially. That obnoxiously bright blue LED all new electronics seem to have is the icing on the cake.

It's a very cool mix of new and retro.  It's the hipster of 7800s (yes, that's a compliment).

I just hope the corners hold up well.  Though I think it is usually for mold ejection, you almost never see square boxes with corners with plastic objects. But I hear that's a weak spot with plastics.

Congratulations on your "new" 7800.  Congratulations to Bob for such a cool design.

• Like 1

The only suggestion I'd make is that if you're de-soldering and moving the power jack, would you not just swap it for a standard 2.1mm DC jack that would bolt through the chassis like all the phono plugs. More secure, and if you wanted to continue to use the original PSU, you could easily graft a plug onto that. It's not like anyone doing this is worried about originality. Also opens the door for modern, easily and cheaply attainable PSUs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juansolo said:

The only suggestion I'd make is that if you're de-soldering and moving the power jack, would you not just swap it for a standard 2.1mm DC jack that would bolt through the chassis like all the phono plugs. More secure, and if you wanted to continue to use the original PSU, you could easily graft a plug onto that. It's not like anyone doing this is worried about originality. Also opens the door for modern, easily and cheaply attainable PSUs.

Well sure that can be done as well. This is just the design that Bob came up with for mine since I'm still using original PSUs and none of my consoles have different power jacks on them. 

Speaking of the power plug, one thing I didn't mention is that in order to get the OEM plug to snap in and fit, you have to put it in upside down. So the key notch is no longer on the bottom of the plug but now at the top. Just in case someone were to shoehorn an OEM PSU in the wrong way, there is a rectifier diode installed at FB2 to help prevent damage from reverse polarity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

New_Case_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.860f4d9aa546fff3cc14a1517ca48834.jpg

New_Case_Detail_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.75020d3ecdd6ce9ce648baa0fa18ced9.jpg

New_Case_Front_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.995973e8a27e108ecd28df2d1fe74999.jpg

New_Case_Side_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.4b07af60e935070f6d1c014c6087f5bb.jpg

New_Case_Rear_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.8604bdab9f8a54274335819b629b9144.jpg

New_Case_Inside_72R4Br_A1_7C_5152641.thumb.jpg.e80036250515784d208a032b9b0e9810.jpg

I think I need one of these!  Since the case was smashed for my first one.

• Like 1

I don't know where to put this, but some have asked in this thread if Bob is okay post-hurricane. Anyway I saw this update in the AtariAge Facebook group, and I thought I'd share:

Pac-Man Plus (Robert DeCrescenzo) and I are alive and well in SW FL. No damage from Ian. We have no power, limited cell connections , no internet and low water. Gas is scarce but we can manage! Thank God🙏🙏

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I don't know where to put this, but some have asked in this thread if Bob is okay post-hurricane. Anyway I saw this update in the AtariAge Facebook group, and I thought I'd share:

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know here! I do follow the AA group on FB but was busy with other stuff this weekend and wasn't monitoring it that much so I hadn't seen that message yet.

• Like 2

Thanks, guys!

...and thank you @-^CrossBow^- for posting the images.   It looks better in your pictures than it did in mine. :)

The plan is to make these cases available soon (I should have a few with me at Free Play Florida), with the backside being the only thing customizable (other than the colors).

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi guys.

Here are the vanilla .STL files for the 7800 case.  I did the case badge separate, so it can be printed in another color, or left out entirely for the 'embossed' look.

7800JrTop(WithBack).stl

7800JrBottom(WithBack-Unmodified).stl

7800JrTopBadge.stl

The only thing I ask (and I know I can't enforce this so I just hope that everyone complies).  I put a *lot* of work into this case.  Please don't sell them.

Thank you,

Bob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3