IGNORED

Wanted: Large amount of loose Dig Dug carts !

CPUWIZ

Hi, What was the Dig Dug Drop? People got hurt during this? I am really curious now.

I don't see why anyone would want anything more than a back-up for their playing amusement. Except for rare carts to sell, ex: double ender Xonox carts, there would be no money in having a truckload of Dig Dug carts as it is not that rare.

I have to disagree about it being one of the "better arcade ports" It has just as much annoying flicker, poor graphics, missing sounds, slow game play, an inability to dig tunnels without going two rows away, the rocks are squares, and on and on. The 7800 version is good. I have wasted many hours playing it. I find it as close to the arcade as it could be, given it is just a cartridge. For those who don't already know, just press the fire button after the game is over while the characters are parading across the screen to continue from your current level.

Happy gaming, Derek.

I dont know where the dig dug drop was held but basicly they dropped tons of boxed complete dig dug carts for a cealing onto a crowd of people and watched them go completely insane. it was in essence the ultimate snatch and grab atari find but it was LEGAL! lol

and srry no dig dug carts for ya big guy.

any updates on this?

Wow Chromi, your facts need some tweaking. I'll help out, as I was there. (On the sidelines...) ;)

I dont know where the dig dug drop was held

That would be Classic Gaming Expo 2002 last year.

but basicly they dropped tons of boxed complete dig dug carts for a cealing onto a crowd of people

Way off. Let me re-wind. The CGE Services guys released 3 Atari 2600 games at CGE that year (Crack'ed, Save the Whales, and Pick-Up). For the shells, they (somewhere) purchased a bunch of new in-the-box Dig Dug carts (probably from O'Sheas). Anyway, after removing the carts and making the new ones, they were stuck with 400 EMPTY Dig Dug cart boxes. So they made up 40 "Prize tickets" (1 in 10 of a prize!) and placed them in the EMPTY cart boxes. The boxes (EMPTY) were placed in a cargo net and suspended above the CGE floor for the entire weekend. During the last hour, they cut the ropes and people dove for those Golden Tickets for great prizes.

and watched them go completely insane. it was in essence the ultimate snatch and grab atari find but it was LEGAL! lol

Yup, you got that right. No one got hurt, but it certainly raised some eyebrows as there was some serious jockeying for position among the more aggressive ones. Some folks (like myself) stayed on the sidelines. After the carnage, I walked among the crushed EMPTY boxes and looked for tickets that someone had missed. I came up empty, but several other people claimed protos, new games, complete game systems, a stand-up coin-op (I think) and other stuff from the leftovers on the floor.

Anyway, the Great Dig Dug Drop was successful in its own right, but it was agreed that there was too much risk to do something similar again. This year, it was the Common Cart Mystery Prize Giveaway. (Common carts were given away upon entering the Expo. Some programmed with a "You are a winner" message redeemable for prizes.)

Anyway, here's a link to the AtariAge photos from the Dig Dug Drop (scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.atariage.com/features/cge2k2/pi...res_show_3.html

:D