IGNORED

Bravo Sierra Computer's Ben Smith

gilsaluki

48 minutes ago, jhd said:

This is a really good point.

I have a very large (several thousand volume) specialized collection of books on a topic that I am passionate about. A handful of items are rare and inherently valuable, but the main value lies in the depth of collection itself, which I have been assembling for more than thirty years. 

I want to see it go to an institution that will keep it together, but finding the right place is a challenge. Fortunately I still have a few years to make those arrangements. There is nobody in my life that cares about this collection. 

Generational sharing of love and passion on similar interests is all but dead, having become something that oddly happens long after whatever it was is gone when on reflection that younger generation realizes what it was and then regret, realizing they blew it or missed out.

This is not unlike the crazy number of kids that went off to college and when mom or dad couldn't handle the farm/business etc... said they had no interest and then it was sold off... only for the same offspring to lament having made that choice once a sobering world brought them around to realizing just how good or wonderful that life actually was, as were the hobbies and interests they now miss and want to pursue. They often spend ridiculous money and time attempting to regain what they could have had in the first place. I've seen it play out time and time again, but it's hard to get property back after it's been sliced off and sold off be it land or collections. Once it's in a land fill, its all over, and no one will enjoy it ever again without a miracle level occurance.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I doubt any of us want to see our collection (big or small) go to waste, but I accept that most people will have family or close friends that have no interest with that hobby, also unless you have planned its movement and left money / instructions about what to do then it might be too much of an already large burden. The worst thing is when a totally unexpected condition hit's you and there's little time to do anything, would you want to use precious time studying where your goods go, probably not.

I like to think my gear will go to someone, but I don't have the resources to pre plan it in detail.

Out of my wife and my daughter, it's my daughter who has the most clue about my gear. She knows roughly what some of it is worth and if I left instructions to email / PM someone she would be able to do that, no problem at all. My only extra thought is that I hit 62 this year, I don't plan on going anywhere, but many of the folk in here are sort of similar age. It's sort of similar to Bob's mates, most were his age or had passed, so passing his gear was hard work.

• Like 1

Ah Jesus man I was hoping this thread didn't have this kind of bad news. 

I was just going to call him and talk to him about Sal. They both knew each other personaliy.but didn't get along well. Now they're probably bickering at each other in whatever after life you believe in. 

I got a 600XL modded by Sal with a Star Trek cart I in it I got from Ben. Which is what reminded me I needed to call him.

If I remember right but not gospel, Ben had told me his mother/sister/ some female was always chomping at the bit to throw all his crap out. 

I hope someone stepped in and saved this inventory.

30 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

That's true, so the other way to prove a point would be for everyone to call with a purchase request or inquiry or write the same or even email the same, all three...  ask questions and show her there was value in it.

As much as I understand not wanting to see anything get thrown out, it's something that none of us have control over.  Consider that doing this may piss the person on the other end off enough that everything ends up in the dumpster just so that they don't have to hear about it anymore from strangers.

Treading lightly in situations like these is often the best course of action.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When new users join The DarkForce! BBS, they are surveyed for birthday information.

(if someone is uncomfortable with that, especially these days, they can just enter a

false date)

"Today's Events" then lists DarkForce! users whose birthday it is.

Today, Ben Smith's birthday came up on that list at DarkForce!...

BravoSierra01.thumb.JPG.c8d948b5157465dda819c15e7d4ec57c.JPG

I wasn't absolutely positive that there might not be another Bravo Sierra out there in Atari

land so I checked:

BravoSierra02.thumb.JPG.5b9032dc48c360004818af340cc4304b.JPG

I am reluctant to remove his name from the user list. In fact, I don't think I will...

• Like 3

In September 2021, I got my rather large collection of Atari 8-bit equipment out of storage and tested most of it... and then over the next year, I sold it 95% of it.  I did this because I am over 65 now and I didn't want my wife to throw it all out if I passed suddenly and she definitely would have thrown it out not knowing what it was or what to do with it.  I still have a few bits left for my personal use. ;)

Now she's bitchin' about the guitars... :woozy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bf2k+ said:

In September 2021, I got my rather large collection of Atari 8-bit equipment out of storage and tested most of it... and then over the next year, I sold it 95% of it.  I did this because I am over 65 now and I didn't want my wife to throw it all out if I passed suddenly and she definitely would have thrown it out not knowing what it was or what to do with it.  I still have a few bits left for my personal use. ;)

Now she's bitchin' about the guitars... :woozy:

I really should make a will. I'm over 61 now and honestly, a person just never knows. I really hate thinking about my beloved Atari's

in a landfill somewhere...   :(

nope, it's not. It will go from person to person, and eventually will be preserved like everything else and will be discovered by someone a bazzilion years in the future, possibly from another planet or returning from mars to be enjoyed again. It may become unstuck in time and be enjoyed in the past present and future, we have not the knowing of these things.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

nope, it's not. It will go from person to person, and eventually will be preserved like everything else and will be discovered by someone a bazzilion years in the future, possibly from another planet or returning from mars to be enjoyed again. It may become unstuck in time and be enjoyed in the past present and future, we have not the knowing of these things.

or it goes to the dump.                   😁

• Haha 2

I never met him in person because of the lochkdown We were going to hang out after it all blew over. I think I called him around Sept Oct. No answer. Damn.

One of the last times I talked to him he was telling me how he can't have chocolates can't have sweets very often or at all.

I think it was the last time I talked to him maybe close to it he was chewing on something just snacking away so I said what are you eating, he goes chocolates.

Ben you're not supposed to eat those buddy.

But I like the taste of them.

He said it so matter of factly it was rather funny.  I regret not getting the opportunity to hang out.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

I was a respiratory therapist for 40+ years (retired now) and whenever we had an

"EOL" stage patient (end of life), we'd get these orders from the doctors restricting

their diets for health reasons.

All of the staff were of the mind that, if that patient wanted medium rare prime rib,

a big baked potato loaded with butter, salt, sour creme, a big buttered roll and any

kind of decadent desert, by gosh - let them have it!   :)

• Like 8

On 3/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, DarkLord said:

All of the staff were of the mind that, if that patient wanted medium rare prime rib,

a big baked potato loaded with butter, salt, sour creme, a big buttered roll and any

kind of decadent desert, by gosh - let them have it!   :)

I had a loved one who passed from cancer, geez, 7 years ago now.  The doctors stopped feeding her, and when we asked why, they said all it was doing was feeding the cancer.  We were like "on top of dying a miserable death at a young-ish age, you're going to make them die with an empty growling stomach?" and made them start feeding her again.  Unbelievable.

• Sad 4

• 5 months later...

I knew Ben Smith well. He kept in contact with me after my father, basement Perry, passed away.  No one told me and I am glad I stumbled on this because I had been trying to reach him.  Please give my condolences to his sister and care giver.  Erralee

On 10/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

I have contact information for Ben's caregiver, and will see if they are able to pass on any condolences to Ben's family.  Please note that I will not enquire as to any Atari items as this is not an appropriate time to do so.

Ben was a great character, and he helped me rekindle my love of Atari a couple of decades ago.  Although I never met him, we did speak on the phone many times and he came across as someone whose passion for all things Atari was deep.  He (and his Usenet posts on comp.sys.atari.8bit) will be missed.

• Like 3