IGNORED

Anyone ever tried making a joystick?

Mendon

Just curious if anyone has ever tried or actually made a joystick for the Jag? I know you can use a Jaguar pad on the Falcon for some games and am not sure if an Atari joystick could be adapted for use on the Jag.

Only reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the hell out of Painter and got no complaints with the game at all. But after playing it on the ST with a joystick for years, I sort of miss using one with the game.

Guess I'm living proof that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" or "Old folks resist change" :D

Mendon

Do you mean something like the one pictured here?

Always the Show-off but Nice! :D

I just grabbed that pic from an old "show me your collection" thread, it was just the easiest way as I couldn't find any pics of the stick alone on my PC anymore, I did not intend it to show off the rest of that stuff, but, that is only the half of it; do a search for the thread in quotes above, page 3, if you want to see the rest (which of course doesn't show many things added since) :D

Pretty much custom built by myself, I used to see similiar sticks for other systems (PSX,DC,etc) in this game shop in Orange County, CA. (a local guy was making them I guess and selling them through the shop) and I decided I wanted one for the Jaguar. So, I bought the cabinet and true arcade components through MAAS arcade systems and put it together myself, and included the Jag controller mounted too it so it would work with all the games (since so many need the keypad) over the years I customized the paint job and slowly added the Jag logos and stuff because I felt just the plain black cabinet and red buttons was too, well, plain. I have since made it compatible with all Atari systems (except the 5200 and ST) with another cord ( I wanted it to be fully compatible with the 7800's two buttons, which makes it NON-compatible with the ST). But it works fine with all other Atari computers and sytems as well as Commodore computers and many other systems that used the standard 9-pin plug. I'm currently working on another special controller for the Jaguar, but that will be anounced in due time when it's completed to my liking (it will be for sale through Ambient Distortions). This is the first I've mentioned it, but I will not go into further detail until it's ready for the Jag market. The arcade stick is just a prototype and I don't intend to make any more, but this other controller I'm working on will be sold to the Jag community, most likey in limited quantities.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried or actually made a joystick for the Jag? I know you can use a Jaguar pad on the Falcon for some games and am not sure if an Atari joystick could be adapted for use on the Jag.

Only reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the hell out of Painter and got no complaints with the game at all. But after playing it on the ST with a joystick for years, I sort of miss using one with the game.

Guess I'm living proof that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" or "Old folks resist change"  :D  

Mendon

I made a couple PC Joysticks that worked with the Analog Input. Mosly for testing a game I was writing for the Jag a while back that had an analog stick "easter-egg" secret code in it.

I think Matthias may have made some similar Analog sticks based on conversations we had about the ones I built. I know a few people have tried it.

I have not made a Joystick from scatch in its own right, although I did create a Joystick adaptor for the Jag.

At the moment it stands as a personal project although I am currently looking into the possibility of producing more if I can find someone to manufacture cases at a reasonable cost and obtain more Joysticks.

For more info visit the My Atari web site (www.myatari.net), goto back issues, select July 2003 and look for the JagStick article.

Hello!

I made a couple PC Joysticks that worked with the Analog Input. Mosly for testing a game I was writing for the Jag a while back that had an analog stick "easter-egg" secret code in it.

I think Matthias may have made some similar Analog sticks based on conversations we had about the ones I built. I know a few people have tried it.

Yes, i modified a PC-Joystick to do tests after i added the missing ADC

(= analog input) to one of my Jaguars (and yes, i have lost count too).

But i think the question was for a digital Joystick: This could be done

with a Dsub9-to-Dsub15HD-adaptor, and i think somebody had even

added such a DSUB9-socket to a standard Jaguar Joypad and had

posted pictures of it some months ago here.

Regards

Matthias

I have not made a Joystick from scatch in its own right, although I did create a Joystick adaptor for the Jag.

At the moment it stands as a personal project although I am currently looking into the possibility of producing more if I can find someone to manufacture cases at a reasonable cost and obtain more Joysticks.

For more info visit the My Atari web site (www.myatari.net),  goto back issues, select July 2003 and look for the JagStick article.

Or follow this link...

http://www.myatari.net/issues/jul2003/jagstick.htm

but this other controller I'm working on will be sold to the Jag community, most likey in limited quantities.

Hey! :D Is there some kind of list you can put my name on? Don't wanna miss out if my internet connection goes apes*it again.

Umm, somebody quote me incase I'm on the ol' ignore list. ;)

j/k :)

but this other controller I'm working on will be sold to the Jag community, most likey in limited quantities.

Hey! :D Is there some kind of list you can put my name on? Don't wanna miss out if my internet connection goes apes*it again.

Umm, somebody quote me incase I'm on the ol' ignore list. ;)

j/k :)

That was not the official announcement, and there are some issues to overcome yet and in the end you may not want it, so don't hold your breath. It is NOTHING like that controller above.

Hello!  

It can be done with a digital Joystick however it's not as easy as just wiring an 9 to 15 pin adaptor which would allow you to plug the Joystick directly to the Jag as you have to prevent the Jag for reading the Joystick inputs at certain times otherwise it will create false readings.

Unless your prepaired to built the interface circuitry into the adaptor the only way is to drill a hole in the JagPad for a cable a make the appropriate connections to the JagPads 0V, Fire B and the the D-Pad at one end, poke the cable out through the hole and then wire the Joystick connection at the other - its a bit brutal on the JagPad thought.

Here is a thought for the really desperate - I doubt it would be robust enough but depending on how thick the center part of the D-Pad knob is what about drilling and tapping a small hole in the center and machining a small threaded pole that then screws into the top thus giving you option of either a D-Pad or a small Joystick simliar to the 7800VCS controllers?

Hell, if your really lucky the 7800s D-Pad may be the same size and you could just swap them over.

Hello!  

It can be done with a digital Joystick however it's not as easy as just wiring an 9 to 15 pin adaptor which would allow you to plug the Joystick directly to the Jag as you have to prevent the Jag for reading the Joystick inputs at certain times otherwise it will create false readings.

Unless your prepaired to built the interface circuitry into the adaptor the only way is to drill a hole in the JagPad for a cable a make the appropriate connections to the JagPads 0V, Fire B and the the D-Pad at one end, poke the cable out through the hole and then wire the Joystick connection at the other - its a bit brutal on the JagPad thought.

Here is a thought for the really desperate - I doubt it would be robust enough but depending on how thick the center part of the D-Pad knob is what about drilling and tapping a small hole in the center and machining a small threaded pole that then screws into the top thus giving you option of either a D-Pad or a small Joystick simliar to the 7800VCS controllers?

Hell, if your really lucky the 7800s D-Pad may be the same size and you could just swap them over.