IGNORED

VCS Game Maker - Generate bBasic code with a visual tool.

haroldoop

2 hours ago, r_chase said:

Late reply, but does that mean we could have a game similar to Adventure or Pitfall maybe? Keep up the great work anyway though. 👍

Thanks! Yes, it would be possible to implement somethin similar to Adventure or Pitfall, save a few limitations here and there.

2 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

This is batari BASIC with coding blocks instead of just typing things in.  So, sure you can do it but it'd just be slower to input.  Or, you can try hacking Adventure with a utility (See below)

The value in a Scratch / code blocks interface is that people completely new to coding can see what coding is without worrying about syntax errors and other self imposed boo boos :)

Correct, if you already know how to program in bBasic,using this tool would actually hold you back. It's mostly useful as a learning tool for those who are new to Atari 2600 programming, or as a rapid prototyping tool.

2 hours ago, 8bitPoet said:

I love this project! I can see using it to create a quick proof-of-concept or even hosting a game jam for the Atari 2600!

That could kinda work... maybe require the sharing of the exported project as a proof of having used the tool?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @haroldoop! I've finally had a chance to play around with the VCS Game Maker.

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or if I've found a bug.

Whenever I add a loop, the game stops refreshing. I've tested it by changing the background graphic after adding a loop and the change doesn't show until I've moved the loop to the trashcan.

I want the game loop to continue until the score reaches 10. So inside the loop I'm checking for the UP, Down, and FIRE input. Am I constructing this logic correctly?

I can't get any sprite movement or missiles to fire, but I think it has to do with the loop.

I'm using Chrome 109 on Windows 10.

VCSGM-loop-test.thumb.PNG.a48063b2334d1671fd76e478d2ba863b.PNG

• Like 1

Yes, that's because those loops are preventing the outer gameplay loop from being executed, and thus preventing the screen from being rendered. If those loops are replaced with "if score < 10" and "if missile colliding", the game should run somewhat correctly. 

Of course, I could always modify the code generated by the loop blocks to always call the screen rendering routine; as long as nobody else does not need them for anything else.

I think I'll do exactly that...

Edited by haroldoop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, haroldoop said:

Of course, I could always modify the code generated by the loop blocks to always call the screen rendering routine; as long as nobody else does not need them for anything else.

Ah ok. I didn't know the game loop was baked in. I want the stuff above the loop to only run once at the start of the game, not as part of the game loop.

Based on your recommendation, I'm gonna swap my loop to the if statement and see what that does.

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8bitPoet said:

Ah ok. I didn't know the game loop was baked in. I want the stuff above the loop to only run once at the start of the game, not as part of the game loop.

Based on your recommendation, I'm gonna swap my loop to the if statement and see what that does.

Thanks!

No problem! I have also performed a few tests, and it looks like the code generators for the loop blocks are generating JS code instead of bBasic code.

I've opened issue #40 to start dealing with this bug: https://github.com/haroldo-ok/vcs-game-maker/issues/40

Thanks for the bug report.

Edited by haroldoop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, r_chase said:

I know you can just copy-and-paste the generated code in the code tab if you want to expand on it with something like the Atari Dev Studio plugin for VSCode, but the lazy dev in me would like an "export code" button. What do you think?

Yes, sounds like a good idea. Opened issue #42 to implement it later.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, r_chase said:

Hey. It's been a while. Just checking in to see how are your projects coming along. Especially this one. Otherwise, how are you doing in general these days? I hope you're doing well at least. ❤️

I have been very busy those few days, but I may come back to my personal projects soon. ;)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 4:38 AM, Darkhog said:

While the tool is cool and I had a lot of fun playing with it, I really wish it would support DCS+ kernel as it is the most advanced one and the limitations of it aren't that bad to be honest.

For now, I'm still focusing on the standard kernel, but DCS+ would be a nice idea to support in the future.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 5:42 AM, haroldoop said:

For now, I'm still focusing on the standard kernel, but DCS+ would be a nice idea to support in the future.

I think they meant DPC+, but yeah, it would be neat to support a more advanced kernel and stuff.

• Like 1

Sorry in advance for making another reply. I'm just wondering if there'll be an official offline version for x86_64 and ARM64 computer architectures. I say x86_64 because 32-bit x86 Electron is pretty deprecated. As for ARM64, I want this included because I use a Raspberry Pi 400 as a semi-daily driver and I want to use it more often.

Thanks in advance for a very fantastic project.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, r_chase said:

Sorry in advance for making another reply. I'm just wondering if there'll be an official offline version for x86_64 and ARM64 computer architectures. I say x86_64 because 32-bit x86 Electron is pretty deprecated. As for ARM64, I want this included because I use a Raspberry Pi 400 as a semi-daily driver and I want to use it more often.

Thanks in advance for a very fantastic project.

Ok at, I added a note to the issue.

https://github.com/haroldo-ok/vcs-game-maker/issues/15

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Good afternoon from the US. How are your projects coming along? Including this one?
Also, what are your thoughts on Atari buying out AtariAge. I'm cautiously optimistic myself tbh.

Hello! 

I am currently making a video player for Sega Genesis, it's almost finished. Once it's working, I will use it for implementing the "*video" command on "choice4genesis". After that is done, I may go back to some other project, maybe even this one. The first thing I would implement would be an option to display the compilation errors if they happen.

As for the buying of Atariage by Atari, my opinion is that there will be change. Let's hope it is mostly for the better.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, haroldoop said:

Hello! 

I am currently making a video player for Sega Genesis, it's almost finished. Once it's working, I will use it for implementing the "*video" command on "choice4genesis". After that is done, I may go back to some other project, maybe even this one. The first thing I would implement would be an option to display the compilation errors if they happen.

As for the buying of Atariage by Atari, my opinion is that there will be change. Let's hope it is mostly for the better.

Speaking of projects, would you like to make something based on Pocket Platformer but for the Sega Master System?
https://the-l0bster.itch.io/pocket-platformer <- Here's Pocket Platformer btw. It's by an internet friend of mine.

• Like 1