IGNORED

Atari Port of C64 1nvader game - BETA TEST

On 11/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, kenjennings said:

Ran head-first into a brick wall.   It looks like Mads may be broken  due to something in the 1nvader source added in the last couple weeks.

i'm getting an error from MADS when trying to assemble the 1nvader game.

Compiler 'MADS' output:
Runtime error 216 at $0000000000417845
  $0000000000417845

This happens from command line or from eclipse/WUDSN.

i thought maybe the mads which I had downloaded long ago was out of sync with current  linux libraries, so did some updates, got the current source, built a new executable without issues (remarkably), and still get the same error.   (At least I have a nice shiny 2.1.3 now).

Then I tried the last large game I wrote (Pet Frogger V03) and it assembled just fine from eclipse/WUDSN

So, it seems that there's something about the 1nvader source code that's breaking mads.   ANY IDEAS?   What I get out of google is that this is a memory access error.   

Most recently, I had been adding some strings for options menus, and commenting out declarations of unused variable.   Is there any limit in Mads that I may be hitting --  like file size limit or total number of source lines?

So far I've worked  out that the  ata_1nv_gfx.asm file is breaking mads. 

This is where all the screen graphics assets are declared/defined.  Something in there is the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been out a while.  (a couple months, actually).   Everyone at home was taking turns with the virus of unspecified origins.  And then I had to get shot for work and that was worse than having the virus.   Starting to ramp up to working on 1nvader again.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Philsan said:

Glad you're now ok Ken.

Vitoco finished his version of your game for Basic 10liner contest:

That's really nice for 10 lines of BASIC.    mads says mine is at  24K lines of source.   I should probably quit working on this.  ?     

9 hours ago, kenjennings said:

That's really nice for 10 lines of BASIC.    mads says mine is at  24K lines of source.   I should probably quit working on this.  ?

I used only 8 lines this time ?

But seriously, your version is impressive. It just needs the sound effects to be complete. Adding a tune would be a plus.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:40 PM, kenjennings said:

Is anyone else having issues on real hardware or Altirra?  Please report config.

I just got 30850 points running latest version (from some hours ago) in a real PAL 800XL+CRT without issues.

1nvader.thumb.jpg.ccb30b410514d1bf5ad7e9ad2cdb459b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, patjomki said:

So, did you really quit? ?

No, my wife's job in Orlando ended this month, so I have been busy moving her and her temporary apartment stuff back home here in South Florida.

if you look at GitHub history I have been working on adding more game modes (and some of it is actually working too.) 

I expect to pick things up again after July 4th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, kenjennings said:

if you look at GitHub history I have been working on adding more game modes (and some of it is actually working too.) 

I expect to pick things up again after July 4th.

Great to see that you did not abandon the game. Have to give the latest GitHub versions a try.

I am really looking forward to the finished version with sound effects.?

Edited by patjomki

• 1 year later...